Misting newly-collected yamadori bark? (to encourage back-budding)

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is what you can do to elms.
This went from 10 feet tall or more to the colander in less than an hour.
I left about 4 little tiny feeder roots. If you look really close you can spot one or two. But basically it's a block of wood.
It's still in the same colander from when I did this to it. The last picture is what it looked like in about 5 weeks.

Wow!! Thanks man, am honestly surprised I don't see those so much in my area, I just checked and they should be around here but I don't recall seeing those on my searching trips (and I take pics of species I don't know, so I can find ID's later)

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Research can be deceiving.

RockM is never deceiving!

The only way to truly figure out any tree is to grow one and experiment with cuttings as Anthony says.

The trees don't know what we read!
That's to say....

Not everything is going to happen as we think...
Even much much less so when we are new and dealing with trees we think are healthy simply because they are growing!

A ficus Benjamin at 100% health can bud below a chop with no foliage.
But quite honestly.....it would Probly have to come from the ground!
I have never seen a ficus Benjamin at 100% health.
Not from a nursery...
Not in a bonsai pot....
Damn sure not from Craigslist!

So 9 times out of ten....
The Ben's we hear about aren't capable of producing those buds....so that's why we believe that information.
There's a lot more people bringing these home from the office than there are California's cutting them out of the landscape!

An indoor ficus, even just in winter under the best lights...is not 100%.

Hell....if I were a ficus....I would know the part that got knocked off the top of me has a damn good chance to root sitting on the jungle floor....
So why would I bother popping buds anyway?
There's a 96% chance the rootless top of me will survive!
That could probly be scientifically proven.

Anyway....

Where ARE these bougies?

I'm starting to think the soil may be contaminated.

A wilting bougie in Florida is confusing!

Sorce

Yeah in the beginning I was experimenting a lot more, have been refining and narrowing things a bit (and shedding go-nowhere plants!), but that ficus was in great shape* and in a container in my care for ages as a topiary, I didn't re-pot I just hard-chopped it (was told in another forum - maybe this one as well actually - that ficus b's just don't back-bud w/o any foliage; I know my experience with my other ficus b, the still-living half of that topiary pair, is a PITA when it comes to back-budding, like its canopy is a leggy mess and if I cut-back on any branch too-far (ie anywhere further-back than greenery) it simply won't back-bud, I'll lose that branch!)

(*you're right, I've never seen one in perfect shape - have often thought to myself that they're probably just ill-suited to my area, as they *never* look like they're in perfect health, at best it looks 'good' lol!)

I could've tried to root the top but it'd have been useless, far too leggy :/

RE the bougies - they're now on a table, if that's what you mean by 'where are' they ;) I built a ~10' table, with a closet-shelving 'table-top', to get most of them off the ground, here's a pic I took last night - plz note this isn't finished, it's getting 2 more horizontal ties on each end for rigidity, especially at the base as there's no strength for lateral pressures right now, although I can stand on the center of this thing :)
19700607_064717.jpg

Though two of the bougies are stuck on the ground, they were my first two real large (1'+ wide) yammas, I wasn't ready and they ended up being boxed in a way that the boxes are simply not movable, if I want to get them off the ground they need new containers - getting them out of their boxes and into containers is something I was planning to do in autumn, after the summer growth had hardened-off, I was planning to take them out of their boxes, prune-back, do some woodwork (I can only imagine the cringes and face-palms at people reading me write that, but yes I've bought a couple tools and have been reading&watching Graham Potter and experimenting (on the remaining 7' topiary ficus.b!), as both of the stuck-on-ground bougies were really stumped yamadori, they're going to need a lot of wood removed and my intent was to do a 'rough' removal of much of it the first re-boxing, then do a more final carving once they've grown some more seasons :) )

"a wilting bougie in FL is confusing"

FWIW, I got a HUGE amount of relief yesterday when, at a friend's place, I noticed their (landscape) bougie and rushed over to check it out - thing had 20x the caterpillar problem mine does (he lives ~0.5mile from me), presumably because he doesn't care much about it and has just let them do their thing (wasn't even aware til I showed him lol), whereas I've spent at least 20min daily out there manually hunting these guys, they're still a problem but with enough time hunting them I've only lost a small handful of growing tips so far :D

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Also I don't call collected stumps yamadori.
Yamadori is different.
I use 'pre-bonsai' and 'yamadori' pretty interchangeably, am getting the impression that 'yamadori' is more accurately descriptive of a bonsai (not pre-bonsai) that was wild-collected? How bad a faux-pas am I making calling a bush-on-a-stump a 'yamadori'? Saying "wild-harvested pre-bonsai' is quite a mouthful ;P

[edit- didn't see your other post...

I call it collecting stumps.
You're building a tree from scratch basically.
Yamadori is where nature builds close to everything.

Are you alone in this nomenclature? I've never heard this before, I've heard yamadori used by 'pros' when they collect what amount to stumps, had never thought there was a characteristic that mattered aside from whether it was wild-collected (nobody seems to care about the 'mountain' part), if it's from the wild it's yamadori (is how I've seen everyone use it at least!)

Last edited:

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
After looking at the photos of your trees, I'd say you've got a problem with everything being a bit too wet, from the soil to the foliage on your trees.

Misting is probably contributing to your issues, if not causing some of them.
It's our rainy season right now, we're getting multiple showers daily - if you see moisture on the foliage of *any* tree that's not a stump-in-dirt (I've got raised-beds with tons of hardwood bougie cuttings, some with foliage most w/o), it's dew or rain (I had been using the hose to water my plants, a la water pall, but well over a month ago probably closer to 2mo ago I stopped misting my mature plants as a matter of routine, not just because I was told to but because mold/mildew on bougie trunks is an issue I've got a little bit of and am very keen on not letting it get worse!!

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Are you insane? That's a VERY narrow definition. Natural bonsai are like unicorns. Yamadori--which really has no English equivalent meaning--means to me, a start with a trunk that nature made--mostly...The vast majority of yamadori. including all those big western conifers--require a lot of altering, breaking, pruning, growing out and wiring that doesn't involve "Nature."

"Stump collecting" is a kind of a high-handed phrase to me anyway. You're doing that with those noble evergreens from west of the Mississippi too...You're after the trunk mostly, the rest can be gravy...

To expound on this, I've read lots of 'yamadori pros' who espouse that you're primary concern is the nebari & trunk, as everything else can be grown later - ie, a good trunk+nebari=yamadori, even if it doesn't have a single leaf!

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The way I collect deciduous trees is only just stumps.
~attachments~
Still building the tree. It's been 3 years since collection. Still a few to go.

Is that an elm? Sorry I'm still having trouble ID'ing trees I don't have experience with (elm and privet/lagustrum seem to be two I need to start on ASAP though!!)

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Awesome good to know! There's a couple bushes that I'm 99% are Hawthorn, have been trying to think of a way to offer their owner $$ for one of them (it's not a hedge it's an irregularly-planted cluster, so they could spare one w/o hurting their overall- it's always such a gas approaching people to get their plants for bonsai, almost universally get the 'what on earth?' look!!)

Top Bottom