Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Well, I can now say that I'm officially moving to Portland in June to start an apprenticeship with Michael Hagedorn. I've worked with Michael on and off for several years, and I'm excited to study with him in his yard full-time! I spent last week working with him in his yard, along with current apprentice Bobby Curttright, and I'm eager to learn from Michael during my tenure as his apprentice. I thought long and hard about where I might go to study bonsai, and I really happy that this opportunity came up! Michael is not just a talented bonsai artist, but an innovative bonsai artist, and he has so much to offer in terms of knowledge and artistic aesthetics. I'm counting down the days until my move!

I worked on several trees while I was in Portland, but this one was particularly fun, and it was a group effort! Enjoy! http://crataegus.com/2016/03/29/a-cliff-bonsai-western-hemlock-styling/

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Good for you Andrew. Glad it's working out for you. No more music then? How long is the apprenticeship?

Thanks!

I'm playing on a New York Philharmonic festival with members of the Philharmonic and Yale Faculty a couple days before I leave. Don't have any other big concerts coming up, I've left my schedule pretty open for studying bonsai full time! Although I will be doing quite a bit less with music, I'm not giving it up. I'm going to set up a private studio when I get to Portland and focus on teaching.

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Awesome Andrew! You'll be going to one of the best. Michael to me is a true artist. Great aesthetics and vision with solid craftsmanship. I wish you the best and hope you can stop by before heading out to OR.

Thanks! I couldn't agree more! Hoping to get down to New Jersey sometime in April or May!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Congrats! I hope you get everything you want out of it, sounds like a great opportunity! Good to see "Anerican Masters" doing these apprenticeships like the Japanese teachers... Encouraging sign for American Bonsai IMO.. After spending two days with a teacher it just leaves me a little dizzy thinking about how much time it takes to learn this art form and how involved you can get in it. I have an itch to learn as much as possible but I am not at a place in life where I could take off and go apprentice with someone! You are fortunate to get to do this, please keep us updated! Lots of pics, lots of words... I know he had his own blog, but perhaps you could start your own or do something through your BH magazine to keep us all informed on your progress and what you are learning? Happy for you Andrew!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'd love to move to Portland, and not necessarily for the bonsai scene (which certainly doesn't hurt;)). From what I here, it's just a wonderful city with a lot going for it...and I here it has more micro brews then any other part of the country...brrrp! Have a great time!

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You couldnt Pay me to move to another big city! I have a place in town then 20 acres in the middle of no where with no one around , that's where the magic really happens. Good luck though.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Congrats! I hope you get everything you want out of it, sounds like a great opportunity! Good to see "Anerican Masters" doing these apprenticeships like the Japanese teachers... Encouraging sign for American Bonsai IMO.. After spending two days with a teacher it just leaves me a little dizzy thinking about how much time it takes to learn this art form and how involved you can get in it. I have an itch to learn as much as possible but I am not at a place in life where I could take off and go apprentice with someone! You are fortunate to get to do this, please keep us updated! Lots of pics, lots of words... I know he had his own blog, but perhaps you could start your own or do something through your BH magazine to keep us all informed on your progress and what you are learning? Happy for you Andrew!
Who did you spend two days with?

Andrew, you and Paul are starting at about the same time!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Who did you spend two days with?

Andrew, you and Paul are starting at about the same time!
Kathy Shaner. Your name came up a few times when we talked about wiring Adair! LOL
Not negatively, we were talking about how she wires stuff pretty loose compared to what we were used to doing, and what some people (like you) have talked about online... How everyone has different ideas about what is right and wrong... and I was talking with John about the pic I posted of his JWP with the chop sticks holding the branches down... That sort of stuff. Kathy said she knows you and had very nice things to say. :)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Kathy is good people.

Did you repot with her? She has a soil tamping tool that's long and reticulated. It looks ridiculous. But works great!

Yes, Kathy has seen my work.

There is a study group that brings her in 3 or 4 times a year for a weekend of private workshops. If I wasn't already a Boon student and going out there to his place 3 times a year, I would join that study group.

I'm glad to hear you liked her. An extended period with someone like that can really raise your awareness of all the little things that must come together to make good bonsai.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you repot with her? She has a soil tamping tool that's long and reticulated. It looks ridiculous. But works great!
LOL...she has all kinds of interesting tools in her bag, doesn't she?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have one of those. Rare items!

Top Bottom