My 'Ben Oki' azalea

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well BVF, I for one am firmly in the camp of flowering trees should have as many flowers as possible, and your tree is a perfect example of why that is true!
Thanks for sharing

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian - Great tree, how tall is it? When repotting an azalea from original soil to pot do you bareroot or do you wedge the rootball?
Thanks. It's 27" tall from the rim, and 32" wide. I have to turn sideways to get through a door. Pot is 18" wide.
I removed all the field soil and did the right root work from the beginning, and can now minimize how often I repot, maybe 3 times since I dug it 14 years ago. I don't do the wedge cuts, I just comb out what I can and add fresh kanuma.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Well BVF, I for one am firmly in the camp of flowering trees should have as many flowers as possible, and your tree is a perfect example of why that is true!
Thanks for sharing
Funny you said that; I remove about 2/3 of them each year as they're starting to swell. Otherwise none of them would have room to open fully.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Really great tree Brian - you've done a great job with it and it's rewarded you with a fine show. Bravo!

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What a show! Beautiful tree.

RedJamesBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
I feed it like all my other trees, Plant-Tone cakes and regular doses of liquid fish fertilizer.
Man I love this azelea. I have a few I'm working with but was wondering what kinda fertilizer you use , can you hold my hand...lol. Is plant tone a brand of cakes? Or do you make them?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

RedJamesBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks man that exactly what I needed . One more question for you , how often do you feed your with the fertilizer?

Top Bottom