My Japanese Red Pine

fore

Omono
Reaction score
What a great JRP Dave! Great character and I too like this style a lot!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Looks great Dave. Red pine decandling the same as black pine?
Yup. Red pines are generally considere less vigorous then black, so many will de-candle earlier in the year as compared to black pine. This tree, due to it's strength, won't get candled until early/mid July, which is when I would normally do my JBPs.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I love Aka matsue. So difficult to find. we had one come up from oregon during our club auction. was the highest bid on tree of all 84 others. It was being paperworked for the sale and most of those with means were all over it so i never even got a bid paddle :)
I have one that is a literati style but prefer it more in something else. thanks for sharing yours dave....and keep up the good work.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This tree is a machine...de-candled less then 10 days ago and pushing buds like crazy.

Attachments

• DSCF1165.1.jpg
    DSCF1165.1.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCF1166.1.jpg
    DSCF1166.1.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCF1167.1.jpg
    DSCF1167.1.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 152

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
New front, anyone? Even though the nebari isn't as good from this side, the movement in the trunk more then makes up for it, I think. So, what do you all think? Also, I may lose the lowest branch...thoughts?

Attachments

• DSCF1239.1.jpg
    DSCF1239.1.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 206

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
New front, anyone? Even though the nebari isn't as good from this side, the movement in the trunk more then makes up for it, I think. So, what do you all think? Also, I may lose the lowest branch...thoughts?

I like this view Dave. I think the lower branch could be jinned and the tree would look great. Thanks for the update.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The new trunk line is interesting, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to remove that drooping branch. I like JRP with hanging branches...most of the best JRP literati in the books feature one, its a sign of great age.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The new trunk line is interesting, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to remove that drooping branch. I like JRP with hanging branches...most of the best JRP literati in the books feature one, its a sign of great age.

I agree. It seems to fit much better with this newer front, which does make the tree seem much older.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do like the trunk line, and agree that the branch is important. At the very least it should be left as a jin...but I think I'd keep it as a whole.

Can the tree be styled to utilize both fronts...and be placed in a round pot?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I do like the trunk line, and agree that the branch is important. At the very least it should be left as a jin...but I think I'd keep it as a whole.

Can the tree be styled to utilize both fronts...and be placed in a round pot?

I think the tree will look ok from both sides, but this front will look better because the apex has already been moved toward the new front and the tree will be rotated forward by a few degrees when it is re-potted. I suppose an old rustic round pot could work, but I'm probably looking at a nice, shallow oval, similar to what it's currently in.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, the buds started moving on this one a month ago, so it was re-potting time. It ended up in a nice Bigei oval. I think it's a good fit.

Attachments

• DSCF1468.jpg
    DSCF1468.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 190

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The pot suits the tree very well. Good choice.
Love the tree too! Great line.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Judy. The tree has always been a favorite of mine, and more so since switching fronts. Also, I've coveted and collected Bigei pots for more then a couple of years, and this is a good one. Matching the two together is pretty sweet:D.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah Bigei is my favorite even though I only have one, I covet them all.

I've not had much luck with tree pot matching so when I see a good one, its a lesson.
Could be my fav. of your trees, it's so singular.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
love the new pot, and the tree is also one of my favorites of yours too. Lovely combo!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well, I guess I don't even have to say that keeping that cascading branch was a great decision. This tree is beautiful. I think that branch is really doing alot for the compostion of the tree. The movement is really enhanced by that branch.

Rob

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I couldn't agree more with Rob! That branch adds a ton of character to this tree. :)

Very nice combination, and this is also one of my favorite trees of yours... .lol... sounding redundant?

I've had my eye on bigei ever since you shared one a while back but havn't bit yet... I guess I'm going to have to one of these days.

Top Bottom