Nanking Cherry (Prunus tomentosa)

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
And, unsurprisingly, it's coming back strong with outsized leaves - now is not the time to worry about leaf size though . . .
image.jpeg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And, unsurprisingly, it's coming back strong with outsized leaves - now is not the time to worry about leaf size though . . .

I have found that in most Cherry varieties it makes no sense to me to even try. What I have seen and done is raise them so they throw a thick flush of blossoms and ignore the leaf size the rest of the season. Basically grow for the show and enjoy the fall foliage. Some like the Yoshino Bloom first and land up a shade plant the rest of the season. Now I am not saying it is not possible, but far more efficient to let it be the tree it is and bless you with flora for a short but sweet time.

Yours appears to be healthy and happy and I can picture it in full bloom(covered) in a few short years - going to be real nice ;)

Grimmy

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know this is an old thread but I was looking for posts on Nanking Cherries. I'm worried about mine - the buds haven't swollen nor broken and here it is April in Georgia. I think they may not have made it through the winter, alas - yet the branches are still quite pliable when I see if they will bend or break. I suppose I'll wait and see but I rather did expect to see the buds swollen and breaking by now, what with the warm weather. Everything else I have potted up with it is leafing out and or flowered that were kept right along with them. I was wondering if these sometimes bloom really late but posts I am finding suggest they often bloom in or around March.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine has been overwintered in a detached garage, and it's in full leaf for what that's worth.

Top Bottom