Nat. Arb/PBA show

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The National Arboretum/Potomac Bonsai Association show and sale in this coming weekend at the National Arb in Washington.

Who's going? Should be good...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From the arb:

"Potomac Bonsai Festival
May 4 – 6, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
National Bonsai & Penjing Museum
Arboretum Grounds

Come to the annual Potomac Bonsai Festival for bonsai activities that entertain everyone from the interested observer to the accomplished artist. Each day features demonstrations, workshops, exhibits, vendors, and the renowned collections of the National Bonsai & Penjing Museum. Get hands-on experience in workshops and expand your knowledge at informative and entertaining demonstrations. Visiting bonsai artists Harry Hirao and Suthin Sukosolvisit will share their expertise at workshops and demonstrations. All events will be held rain or shine. Free festival admission."

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think I'm going up with a friend on Saturday.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I plan on going Saturday as well. Good chance to see the collection as well as a variety of potters and their wares.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm going on Friday morning - nice to beat the crowds (and take a day off of work to do so).

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I will be there bright and early on Friday. I am going to give it my best shot in the talent competition.

Wish me luck. I think I'm going to need it....

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Good luck Lancaster, it's fun.

Give the tree a good look see and go for it. Use all the tricks, wire, jin and shari, tilting the pot etc., without too much thought of I wouldn't usually do this much work to a tree, it's a "finished " bonsai contest. Bring a turntable that will let you look at the tree either sitting or standing or you will find yourself up and down so much your thighs will hurt. If you think a big piece of it is wrong, make it go away, ultimately you need the best tree you might make in 3 to 4 years in a day. These are the directions I wish I had that day.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Well, my ride that was going up there with me has just informed me that we'll only be there for about an hour or so, which is a major bummer. I had hoped to see Harry or one of the other demos, but now it looks like I won't have the time. I've never seen a demo before. Bummer.

Last edited:

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks for the advice Bill. It is much appreciated.
It will be in my master plan to try my best to achieve all of the above, and then some.
btw, what year did you compete, and how did you do?

Ryan, If I were told I could only spend an hour there, I might think about taking a bus home. AFTER watching a few demos, walking through the vendor area,
picking up a few pots, or some great nursery material......you know?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ryan, If I were told I could only spend an hour there, I might think about taking a bus home. AFTER watching a few demos, walking through the vendor area,
picking up a few pots, or some great nursery material......you know?

Yeah, I wish I could take a bus all the way home, lol. I went last year and had a great time, so maybe I'll just have to wait another year to see the demos. I just want to get my hands on bigger, better tropical stock.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went early today. I didn't think the stock was as good as prior years, but I thought the pots were really nice.

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
You guys are killin me.:rolleyes:
I'm sitting at home nurseing a broken ankle, missing every thing this spring.
My trees wouldn't even be alive if my wife had not taken to water them for me. Couldn't put any weight on my ankle for 7 weeks.
Good luck Lancaster! Let us know how it turns out.

Oh well, its getting better, hope you guys going have fun.....

Bob O

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Back form the Arboretum.

What a wonderful place. I know you all like bonsai or you wouldn't be here....but, if you like trees, flowers, vines, grasses, or even koi as big as whales, you would like this place!

I thought my tree was good. I was happy with what I did with the material I had to work with. And I did not embarass myself whatsoever. But, alas, I did not place :(
I did however have a wonderful time and thought the experience and exposure was great! I had a good critique of my tree by Suthin, and that alone made it worth while!

I will do it again next year, for sure. Here's to hoping they expand their imagination a bit and have material other than 2 gallon san jose junipers....

-Troy

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i got to go to the pba show and thought it was good. i thought the vendors could have been better .
i thought harry hirao was super and suthin put on an excellent demo, gave a good laugh while working. he was fun, knowledgeable and entertaining.
the material was ok they worked on, and i was disappointed it wasnt raffled off after the demo.
i really enjoyed the community as it is welcoming and bonsai is appreciated in the whole dc area.
i dont know if id make the 4 hr trip again (except for the permanent collection which is amazing )or just go to MABS in my area.
just my 2 cents.
p

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I agree about the vendors. I feel like there just wasn't as much stock selection as there was last year or previous years.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Post as many as you can. I forgot my camera on Saturday. Too much to remember on the way out the door that morning.

I don't really agree on the stock selection. There were SEVERAL excellent pieces of stock around, but you had to look. They weren't as "in your face"as previous years. I found an excellent shohin sized Kingsville boxwood (there were at least half a dozen others around too) and a mostly-finished princess persimmon. The kingsville was $60 and the rammed out, 1.5 inch trunk persimmon with finished branching was $50 at Julian Adams' stall. I worked the boxwood on Sunday and it turned out a pretty nifty spreading live oak style tree.

There was also a very nice, large (5 inch trunk) Korean boxwood that would have turned out a killer tree with deadwood. It was $150. I was broke by the time I ran across it :eek:

BTW, I talked with Ron Lang a bit on Sunday when I went back to pick up my trees. He has a redesigned web site that shows the range of his work. He also pointed said he includes some discussion in the pot styles section about pot side, lip and feet profiles and how they work artistically. Interesting stuff, I thought.

The selection was there, you just had to poke around a bit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom