New Book - Satsuki Azalea Bonsai by Rick Garcia

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yea I don't get it either unless he is doing express shipping?
It was media mail which is the cheapest rate I know of. The box however, was an oversized heavy duty shipping box. Having shipped literally thousands of items over the past 20+ years, I would estimate shipping with all materials to be no more than $10 from MI to VA. It shipped from Publishers Storage and Shipping Corp. and packing is stellar.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It was media mail which is the cheapest rate I know of. The box however, was an oversized heavy duty shipping box. Having shipped literally thousands of items over the past 20+ years, I would estimate shipping with all materials to be no more than $10 from MI to VA. It shipped from Publishers Storage and Shipping Corp. and packing is stellar.
When I placed the order it said it was shipping UPS

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks @Pitoon
still doesnt explain the difference in the two versions except one is black and the other is green

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks @Pitoon
still doesnt explain the difference in the two versions except one is black and the other is green
I got the more expensive book. This book is wrapped in actual cloth, similar to the old books from back in the day. I am assuming the cheaper book is wrapped in textured paper? I don't believe there is no difference in the text. Just that one book is wrapped with cloth and the other paper. So with that one can say that the labor to wrap a book in actual cloth takes more time hence the higher cost.

And yes the shipping is a bit absurd. USPS media mail does not cost that much. It's pretty much the cheapest rate to ship media. Those prices are not in line with the actual rates. I did notice the book is not shipped from California.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmmm…. Something is out of whack here….!

but first…. I bought two books, one a special edition, one a regular hardcover.

….the cloth bound book has a sturdy hardcover bound cover pressed at the same time with a cloth exterior. Perhaps strictly for satsuki geeks like myself. (Rick will be signing this copy next March and its more a cool thing as far as I’m concerned.)

The hardcover is similar, yet smoother.

Second… the seriously out of whack situation…. shipping cost. I’m not sure

In both cases I paid via PayPal.

The fulfillment center is Ann Arbor MI. 2310 road miles from my house.

Product. Special Edition Hardcover $55.95
Subtotal:$55.95
Shipping:$8.50 via Media Mail (USPS)
Tax:$0.00
Payyment method:payPal
Total:$64.45

8.50 shipping…. What’s up?

Wondering
DSD sends

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
yea I used paypal as well and shipping was $30 for which is kinda nuts honestly

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Something’s rotten in Denmark—- er ….Michigan!

Astonished
DSD sends

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I just went to order it. $37.52 shipping to my address. I really want the book, but geez that's more than it costs to get three trees shipped from Florida from Wigert's.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They switched the shipping carrier to UPS ground. I paid $8.50 shipping USPS media mail when I ordered the book. The website now wants $29.15 to ship the same book to my address.

If you want the book I would seriously make contact with Rick to fix this. The shipping rate is now ridiculous. I was considering buying another book but with shipping at that rate I'll pass until they fix it.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep, I checked too about 30 minutes ago. UPS only 26.57.

I just finished writing to Rick about the situation. I think he’s driving back home from Milwaukee about now. Hopefully he gets my message soon.

What I do know is the $&@!!% fulfillment center was packing the book in a huge heavyweight cardboard box at least 4x bigger then needed, When all they should be packing it in is a padded media mailer, or smallest box possible

If I was the Ann Arbor Postmaster (Dad was a Postal Supervisor) I would of refused acceptance.

Ugh!!
DSD sends

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea ordered it anyway
Not happy paying $30 to ship a moderate sized book. I think it's a bit much when shipping a shohin or slightly larger tree weighing 2x as much a least would cost the same or less. A padded envelope from the post office would have been adequate.

It isn't going to break the bank or anything but it's a little ridiculous

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I just hate paying almost as much for shipping as the actual book. Still thinking about it.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Yes in another post I was complaining on the shipping rate that alone were only a few dollars less then the book itself for shipping to Canada...

There was no real other way for me to get the book so I took the plunge but god knows that I absolutely hate paying high shipping rates,

I always take the cheapest rates I can get.... burning money is the same as paying a premium for a service that should just be good to start with.

Let say I had a ¨tough¨ time before pressing the complete purchase button!

Can't wait to receive my copy so I will have more things to say about Rick's book than on high shipping price!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My shipping was $8.50 via USPS.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just checked and mine was $8.50 USPS as well.

Top Bottom