New display area

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you have a pretty amazing system. You've considered what you need, potential problems and have set up an attractive pipeline. Are there things you wished you'd done that you didn't?
Fred, here is a link to another thread from when we built the benches the first time. On page 2 there is a couple posts about the windhouse. You might find it interesting if you have not seen it, and also a link to my cold storage house thread. I find these two items indispensable. I could not do bonsai at my current level where I live without these structures. Both these threads are pretty old, funny to see where things are now in comparison!
http://www.bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/new-bench-areas.11375/page-2
http://www.bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/my-cold-green-house.10624/

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
With the end benches installed, really sharpens up the whole thing. We will rebuild the single stands to be a better match. Looks like I've sweet-talked my way into getting the sun area redone in this vein too!
P1000796.jpgP1000795.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful Judy! Very nice build and really sets up your trees very nicely. I like the thick return on the benches as well. Are you staining/painting them or leaving them to weather out naturally?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Finished up the renovation on the sunny area, here are some photos.

Very nice as I expected! But those 3 stones - they need daiza :rolleyes: Happy 4th to you and yours as well and thank you for sharing!

Grimmy

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Interesting design--Very cool. How far apart are your support posts?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll leave them to weather, stain/paint is a pain!
In the sun area the supports are about 10' apart. I design it, he builds it. It's a great partnership.
Those rocks are very heavy. We brought them up near the house from the woods long years ago when we moved out here- and were far younger. They are twice as heavy now! We rolled them onto a tarp and roped the ends up and drug. Good thing they look nice there.:eek:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice! I really like how you varied the heights.
my favorite part, and the only way I was going to go with a long area instead of single benches. Now it's less "busy" but still gives each tree a separate spot.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very Nice! A quibble though. Partially burying those rocks about a third to halfway will make them look more "permanent" to the site. Placing rock on the ground generally leaves space underneath their edges, which can make them look unstable.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They are buried about 8" now, down to the landscape fabric under the gravel. They are irregularly shaped however, not flat on the bottom. Thanks for the feedback, the only one to me that I'd like to lower is the small one which may be doable.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very nice indeed there Judy! I am always impressed by your threads. This one rocked it out of the ballpark! I can see where a water system is a must with such a significant collection. Well done and well designed. Thanks for sharing.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Darlene and Giga. I'm really enjoying the new look, I can see the trees instead of all the clutter. Makes me want to get out and work on them even more.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fabulous set-up....I went back and viewed your previous posts on the display subject. You definitely have it put together well. Maybe I can't see the whole picture.....but how do you keep the deer out/away? ....or are deer not quite that common in your area.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We have enough land that is away from the yard for them to eat from. The veggie garden we do a deer fence and also E fence for raccoons. We live in farm country, so they are more interested in that than our yard.

Top Bottom