NEWBIES......please read

Asus101

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you forgot....call someone and pay them to trim, style, buy, and train your trees. My god Harry, i sit and read some of your cr@p, and wonder who decided you have any right to give an opinion on some newbee's tree? Do you call Marco, and pay for his opinion before you tell some guy his tree is junk?

But in this case he is pretty well on the mark...

Daysleeper

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well that is the truth. specialized tools should be the first priority. Do not be a jerk like me and destroy a tree with a pair of kithen scissors.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
you forgot....call someone and pay them to trim, style, buy, and train your trees. My god Harry, i sit and read some of your cr@p, and wonder who decided you have any right to give an opinion on some newbee's tree? Do you call Marco, and pay for his opinion before you tell some guy his tree is junk?

But in this case he is pretty well on the mark...

But to think that Harry knows nothing about bonsai is crazy. He is the one that picks out his trees, so that should be proof enough that he knows what to look for in a killer tree. Harry probably knows more than most on how to do advanced bonsai techniques from the days and days working with Marco. That is stuff you won't read about in a book or learn on a forum. I say he has more right to tell a newbe than most people. Problem is most people like things sugar coated.

Harry has killer trees, employs one of the best in the world and some people can't stand it!

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But to think that Harry knows nothing about bonsai is crazy. He is the one that picks out his trees, so that should be proof enough that he knows what to look for in a killer tree. Harry probably knows more than most on how to do advanced bonsai techniques from the days and days working with Marco. That is stuff you won't read about in a book or learn on a forum. I say he has more right to tell a newbe than most people. Problem is most people like things sugar coated.

Harry has killer trees, employs one of the best in the world and some people can't stand it!

LOL... right. Knowing a great tree when you see it is very different than knowing how to get it there.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score

LOL... right. Knowing a great tree when you see it is very different than knowing how to get it there.

Sure, but saying that is saying that everyone knows "how to get it there" and that is not true at all. If it was true then everyone would be a pro, or a master, etc.... and the world would be full of killer trees. How many on here have "taken a tree to the level of Harrys trees"? Not many, Harry included, but he says that up front so I don't know why everyone is making a big deal. Heck I would be willing to bet that 90% of the people on all the forums don't even know how to maintain a tree like Harrys. Miss the window for candle prunning and you just set the tree back years....

So, by the tone of this this thread it sounds like most have a problem with a "Collector" of bonsai. Pretty sad....Oh well, there are those that have good trees and those that don't.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been on the forum circuit for close to a year now. If you haven't figured out that Harry knows what he is talking about, then good luck to you. Do you think this guy is getting ripped off when he drops 3K in the bucket, I don't think so.:p That's because like he says (outloud) He does his research before he does anything. I believe you Hariry. Also Harry has killer Koi, that he has been involved with for longer than bonsai, I believe. So, an older gentelmen gets into the hobby, and doesn't want a bench full of crap the rest of his life, so he learns and buys the best he can. And I applaud him for that.

Without guys like Harry, no tree is ever worth more than $200 (give or take) keep that in mind.

-Dave

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And for the others who may not know, JasonG knows what he is talking about too.

-Dave

Mortalis

Yamadori
Reaction score
I am just getting to the point where I will spend $100 on a piece of stock and be confident I wont kill it. I actually started bonsai by buying one of those $4 ficus at lowes you know the ones with alot of them on one pot.. Split them up and slaped them in a pot with turface and potting soil. I managed to kill the lot of them.. tried again.. tried again.. lost fewer and fewer until now.. I can actually make them grow and be healthy. I may have spent $25 total on learning to keep them. Now though I fork out the dough for a nice piece of stock..

Last edited:

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This is a $40 Scots Pine that was nursery stock. I have been working with the tree for about 10 years now. You can find decent trees in nursery stock but you have to know what you are looking for and have a vision for the tree down the road.

Tom

Attachments

• HPIM0132.jpg
    HPIM0132.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 38

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Good tree, very nice job, some people have and some people don't, you have it !

Ciao,
Harry

Cali-Mike

Seedling
Reaction score
I think some of you are missing my point. I've been reading Harry's post for over 2 years on this and many sites. I like Harry. I have no problem with the way he collects trees. ...BUT, when Harry, or anybody posts a stick in a pot just to make fun of newbee's then I get a little crazy. For every 1 of you who post here regularly, there is 50 who just read the posts, and learn. That demeaning attitude, while it might be funny to a few, pisses off a bunch of well meaning, newbee's out to learn something. And I happen to think thats wrong. It's a little thing called....CIVILITY....As my mother said" if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing". Or, "treat people as you want them to treat you". This is not about how Harry, buys, cares for, or anything to do with his trees. This is about a guy, who collects fine bonsai, and then starts a tread, and tells newbee's that they have to spend X amount of money to do this art. And if you don't have the cash, stay out of the hobby. How the hell does he know what it takes to start in this hobbie? He doesn't. That is arrogance defined.
Most of us started with "home Depot" stock, sticks in pots. I did 14 years ago. I've got 40 + trees in different stages of growth. I enjoy trimming, caring , styling and pretty much just messing with my trees. I'm not out to make "master class trees" or win some "award". I enjoy the look of the "little trees". I come here, and to numerous other sites to see what like minded people are discussing about bonsai. Harry's not the only person to treat newbee's, with crappy trees like lower class citizens. I've seen it numerous times on every web site. I think it sucks.
Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I can't see where being civil to a person, even if their stcks are horrible, is wrong. Maybe it's the " tear a person down to lift yourself up" mentality. It was never about Harry collecting trees. I don't care how Harry gets trees, or who takes care of them. It was about being civil to another human being. I just said, in my origional post, what a few people may have been thinking. I know it may have angered Harry, and I'll bet his post angered some newbee's.

Now, if this was a political forum, then Harry and I would be shoulder to shoulder fighting off the tree hugging liberals until our last breath.

Mike

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I think some of you are missing my point. I've been reading Harry's post for over 2 years on this and many sites. I like Harry. I have no problem with the way he collects trees. ...BUT, when Harry, or anybody posts a stick in a pot just to make fun of newbee's then I get a little crazy. For every 1 of you who post here regularly, there is 50 who just read the posts, and learn. That demeaning attitude, while it might be funny to a few, pisses off a bunch of well meaning, newbee's out to learn something. And I happen to think thats wrong. It's a little thing called....CIVILITY....As my mother said" if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing". Or, "treat people as you want them to treat you". This is not about how Harry, buys, cares for, or anything to do with his trees. This is about a guy, who collects fine bonsai, and then starts a tread, and tells newbee's that they have to spend X amount of money to do this art. And if you don't have the cash, stay out of the hobby. How the hell does he know what it takes to start in this hobbie? He doesn't. That is arrogance defined.
Most of us started with "home Depot" stock, sticks in pots. I did 14 years ago. I've got 40 + trees in different stages of growth. I enjoy trimming, caring , styling and pretty much just messing with my trees. I'm not out to make "master class trees" or win some "award". I enjoy the look of the "little trees". I come here, and to numerous other sites to see what like minded people are discussing about bonsai. Harry's not the only person to treat newbee's, with crappy trees like lower class citizens. I've seen it numerous times on every web site. I think it sucks.
Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I can't see where being civil to a person, even if their stcks are horrible, is wrong. Maybe it's the " tear a person down to lift yourself up" mentality. It was never about Harry collecting trees. I don't care how Harry gets trees, or who takes care of them. It was about being civil to another human being. I just said, in my origional post, what a few people may have been thinking. I know it may have angered Harry, and I'll bet his post angered some newbee's.

Now, if this was a political forum, then Harry and I would be shoulder to shoulder fighting off the tree hugging liberals until our last breath.

Mike

I'll just set this one out and let the Newbies take pot shots at me..........

Harry

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Mike

Here here.....or is it hear hear?

Sometimes I have to wonder if people actually believe the b.s. they post.Or,if they forget that different people enjoy different aspects of their hobby.

Andy(no great artist,but not a noobie)

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Every one of these was started from material that cost less than $5.00.Maybe $15.00 in today's dollars.

I've enjoyed them over the years...from beginning to where they are now. I didn't have the tools or pots or special soil at the beginning...just an interest in the process of creating what I hoped to be nice bonsai one day.They may get there one day.

Andy

Attachments

• DSC_0005 copy.jpg
    DSC_0005 copy.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0008 copy.jpg
    DSC_0008 copy.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0009 copy.jpg
    DSC_0009 copy.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 30

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot

Mike

Absolutely dead on.

If this doesn't start a firestorm, nothing wiill.........

NEWBIES, if you don't have a 100 bucks to spend, do not get into bonsai !

As you see from the above, Harry had every intention of causing problems with this thread. The use of an exclamation point means yelling. I would like to know which jackass thinks anyone has a right to come on here and yell at newbies about how to get into Bonsai.

I'll just set this one out and let the Newbies take pot shots at me..........

Harry

Then after he "start a firestorm" he plays the martyr and "sits this one out".

I can't stand people who oppress those with less money, less experience or even less ability to make their weak pathetic selves feel better.

Call it a pot shot if you want Harry, I call it "calling a spade a spade".

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Every one of these was started from material that cost less than $5.00.Maybe $15.00 in today's dollars.

I've enjoyed them over the years...from beginning to where they are now. I didn't have the tools or pots or special soil at the beginning...just an interest in the process of creating what I hoped to be nice bonsai one day.They may get there one day.

Andy

As I have not made a successful/convincing bonsai, (at least not one that I would dare share on a forum) myself, I was speaking to what I believed to be true. Thank you for proving it.

Nice work.

---
Now if you will excuse me, it is time to go put humic acid on my sticks. Someone that has obvious experience and skill taught me that this was a good thing.

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
As I have not made a successful/convincing bonsai, (at least not one that I would dare share on a forum) myself, I was speaking to what I believed to be true. Thank you for proving it.

Nice work.

---
Now if you will excuse me, it is time to go put humic acid on my sticks. Someone that has obvious experience and skill taught me that this was a good thing.

I'll put a xacto knife and a sketch of the human body in the mail tomorrow, then you can go to the nearest hospital and do heart surgery. Take some duct tape with you just in case.

If you want people to piss off their hard earned money, be my guest. Me a martyr, that's a hoot.
Weak and pathetic, that stings, why do you insist making this personal. I made a statement that I felt like was good advice and I knew some people would not agree with me, but sticks and stones, totally uncalled for. You must have not got any last night. Have a good day, now that you've gotten that off your chest..
Ciao,
Harry

Mortalis

Yamadori
Reaction score

Andy

I'll give you $30 for the first one.. double your money.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I'll put a xacto knife and a sketch of the human body in the mail tomorrow, then you can go to the nearest hospital and do heart surgery. Take some duct tape with you just in case.

If you want people to piss off their hard earned money, be my guest. Me a martyr, that's a hoot.
Weak and pathetic, that stings, why do you insist making this personal. I made a statement that I felt like was good advice and I knew some people would not agree with me, but sticks and stones, totally uncalled for. You must have not got any last night. Have a good day, now that you've gotten that off your chest..
Ciao,
Harry

Actually, what I intended to say last night was, if anything more harsh. I deleted about four posts. After a good night's rest. I was far more calm.

---
As a side note, I remember the first time I held a human heart in my hands. My prof, (you would have liked him Harry) was eating a turkey sandwich and was holding it in one hand while he, with his mouth full, stuck his finger in and said "now this is the ascending aorta". The Mayo on his mustache was a nice touch. We named the dead guy we were dissecting Aber, as in Aber Cadaver.

I did not go on to med school, I could not stand the smell so I became a software engineer instead.

Top Bottom