Newbies - want to share your trees?

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are a "newbie" with that freaking cool tree... I will throw myself over a cliff.. 🤣😂
Haha thanks but still learning a lot! Anyone can buy a tree and ruin it 😉 For example the tree seemed pretty happy and looked good above ground and was ready to move to the next step of development, but when repotting there was quite a lot of dark unhealthy/dead root - too wet and caught it just in time really - so having removed quite a lot of roots now it is about bringing back to full power before making any big moves! In our rainy climate I am trying 2:1 pumice to akadama. I also tried 2 other pots i picked out that were too small for a tree at this stage, so more learning 😕 Should really remove the cones to save energy but they look too cool 😀

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So. I cut out the original apex, and turned a front eye-pokey branch into the new apex, and wired the secondary trunk down to become a branch.

I feel like I need to cut out more up-pointing branches in the middle.

20220406_081852.jpg

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
Tried to style the twin trunk Boulevard cypress. I'm not sure if twin trunks with equal sized trunks is a faux-pas or not but that's how it wants to grow so...

I do think it looks a little like a wide tropical tree but I thought keeping more foliage will help thickening the trunk.
Boulevard 3.jpg

The Back with extra messy wiring: Boulevard 2.jpg

Top:Boulevard 1.jpg

Closeup:Boulevard 4.jpg

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Some pics of what's going on in my bonsai garden. Still in my first year, but the collection is growing. It's a mix of pre-bonsai, nursery stock, big box trees and some yamadori. Most are for long term development and a few are things to experiment on. Everything is waking up other than my beech and hornbeams.

Attachments

• G1.jpg
    G1.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 47
  • G2.jpg
    G2.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 53
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 54
Reaction score
USDA Zone
boxwood bonsai.jpgBuxus microphylla, trained through clip and grow and loose wiring. Haven't gotten the nerve up to do the carving it needs. Anyone have some species-specific experience with B. microphylla, maybe even in a hot, arid climate? I've just moved, and this is one of the three plants I could take.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 430947Buxus microphylla, trained through clip and grow and loose wiring. Haven't gotten the nerve up to do the carving it needs. Anyone have some species-specific experience with B. microphylla, maybe even in a hot, arid climate? I've just moved, and this is one of the three plants I could take.
Where are you now? Could make a big difference.
Add a general location to your profile and you can skip this question at every post.

Tree is looking nice BTW.

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the attitude of this thread, so I will participate with my linden. I collected it last november. The second flush is growing as it was pruned back 2 weeks ago. Good idea, teacher :)
I thought some updates would be interesting after 2 years. My linden is getting smaller and smaller
15.05.2022.jpg

Top Bottom