Newbies - want to share your trees?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's interesting.
I should have already the second flush, I hope to have a third one before September.
I am trying to read some books on bonsai but not always they are telling all the details. For example, I understood that in this stage, I need to focus only on the trunk development and leave the branch pruning in the future (2-3 years more).
I maybe open a new thread about, I am reluctant some times because in another forum, I received just replies such as "wait 30 years"...
Hmm... so sorry you got an off the cuff remark when you asked for help in another forum. That happens in lots of forums and I can’t say that wont happen here, but more often than not the folks here are genuinely here to help. That doesn’t mean we always can answer your questions, but it does mean folks will try.
  • When you do post be sure to post your tree in the correct forum. That will get you in with the folks that are most expert and interested in that type of tree.
    Be sure to clearly state what your questions and need for help are.
  • Try to attach good photos, not just one, some full tree, some of the trunk/roots.
  • Also, there is a advanced options key on the bottom of your first message, press that and go to the key word section and put in some keywords about your thread.... oak styling, nebari, design etc
Good luck! .... and persevere!
Cheers
DSD sends

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I may need a bigger shelf... 😂

Newcomers include 2 potentilla (left and bottom right). Both reasonable trunks (hurraaaaay not sticks!!!) Also a field maple at the top. Some cut scars on the back (sealed) but again a decent sized trunk.

No more! For now anyway...

Attachments

• 20200702_161812.jpg
    20200702_161812.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20200702_150150.jpg
    20200702_150150.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 65

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mountain ash

First tee, collected from the woods. Sat in a nursery pot for years until I stated getting the bonsai itch. Lot of problems with it now that I've learned more, might have to start it over =)

Dwarf Alberta spruce

Collected from the yard; recovering.

Forsythia

Collected from the yard; not sure how to handle that middle stump yet.

Euonymus
Euonymus

Collected (at the wrong time) from a neighbor's yard. Smaller one is probably gone, but the larger one might make it.

Privet air layer

Still going, but it was the gnarliest part I could find on my hedge.

On my second year. The first year was just messing with the mountain ash. If I didn't have a two year old and another coming soon, it would probably be 100 trees by now ;)

Had to separate the privet air layer earlier than I would have liked. Started a thread for it:

Hope it survives!

doctorater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is something I did just for fun because I got several Bar Harbor junipers on clearance at Lowe's for $3 each. I thought I'd toss it in here to get some reactions to the relatively different front branch design. Here I wired two branches to cascade at a slant down the front of the tree, one on the left and one on the right.

I haven't done any detail wiring and, no, the pot isn't the best choice for being highlighted by the branch structure like this. Also, ignore the back side which is a lanky mess.

Bar Harbor Juniper front.jpg

Here's a video so you can get a sense of the shape and perspective...

I don't think I'm likely to keep this design. There are other possibilities in there that will likely be more successful, however, they will also be more conventional. I thought I'd share something a little out of the norm.

Feel free to chime in with any reactions. No, you don't have to be nice, however, to be nice is better than to not!

doctorater

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Something glitched! .... Reply to Clorgan

You always need a bigger shelf!

A Field (Hedge) Maple Acer C it’s manitory if you are in the UK! 😉

Cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is something I did just for fun because I got several Bar Harbor junipers on clearance at Lowe's for $3 each. I thought I'd toss it in here to get some reactions to the relatively different front branch design. Here I wired two branches to cascade at a slant down the front of the tree, one on the left and one on the right.

I haven't done any detail wiring and, no, the pot isn't the best choice for being highlighted by the branch structure like this. Also, ignore the back side which is a lanky mess.

View attachment 313242

Here's a video so you can get a sense of the shape and perspective...

I don't think I'm likely to keep this design. There are other possibilities in there that will likely be more successful, however, they will also be more conventional. I thought I'd share something a little out of the norm.

Feel free to chime in with any reactions. No, you don't have to be nice, however, to be nice is better than to not!

doctorater
I like the innovative touch! IMO there are two things I'd try that might give this even more of a lift....

First make the longish branches shorter as you ascend. There are some good cut points on the Juniper that will make each cut look terminal if you wire them.

Second, wire all branches to end downwind, even the smaller ones. That might heighten your windswept design by making it more cohesive.

Just a thought. Keep up the great effort.

Cheers DSD sends

BTW: For some reason your messages are coming out really big bold text, and sometimes not. I'm wondering if my connection is glitching out. It did earlier on a message to Clorgan... :eek:

doctorater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the innovative touch! IMO there are two things I'd try that might give this even more of a lift....

First make the longish branches shorter as you ascend. There are some good cut points on the Juniper that will make each cut look terminal if you wire them.

Second, wire all branches to end downwind, even the smaller ones. That might heighten your windswept design by making it more cohesive.

Just a thought. Keep up the great effort.

Cheers DSD sends

BTW: For some reason your messages are coming out really big bold text, and sometimes not. I'm wondering if my connection is glitching out. It did earlier on a message to Clorgan... :eek:

Thanks Deep Sea Diver, appreciate your thoughtful comment. I'll try those ideas out before I decide to go for another design. Will post pics if can.

The bold text shows on my computer too. I had thought it was just displaying that way for me, but apparently not. I promise I'm not trying to draw attention to myself! : )

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Something glitched! .... Reply to Clorgan

You always need a bigger shelf!

A Field (Hedge) Maple Acer C it’s manitory if you are in the UK! 😉

Cheers
DSD sends

No worries!

My thoughts exactly on the maple...I literally didn't have a choice in the matter 😏 I've also previously not seen one (reasonably priced) with a non-stick trunk

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Would be great to see a picture... Very kind of you to comment, i hope i can end up making something of it... I was simply pleased to see it pushing new growth this spring 🙈

Finally got around to getting a pic of this wild tree your one juniper reminded me of, albeit a pretty crappy pic with my crappy phone camera that has crappy zoom. It's the one near dead center of the frame. Not sure why, but this tree has always caught my attention. I think it's the simplicity of character.

Attachments

• KIMG0383.JPG
    KIMG0383.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 46

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Love this sort of thread!

It all began Christmas of 2018 with a little tiny juniper from my ex (which has since died). In the year and a half I’ve collected a fair few varieties of pre-bonsai but I’ve developed a particular interest in growing from seed.
The entire collection
C5A01A95-F0DC-4C92-8512-E188E503E854.jpeg
And a few individuals that I’m happy with

This is a buckthorn, pulled it from the front yard in April and it hasn’t missed a beat. Might be the only tree I have that I’d consider “nice”. Ironic considering how invasive they are around me (any seeds it might eventually produce I’ll have to burn)Obviously still very young and lots of work to do, but I’m proud that I didn’t kill it. 12E6B63D-1039-4946-9F7C-8868D7AC406A.jpeg
I tried my hand at making cuttings from JBP seedlings this past spring with medium success. 10 of 18 survived, the ones that did are taking off here in mid summer. 3233DAE4-9CF9-4696-B00B-DCC34A3A2B61.jpeg
The oldest specimen I have that I’ve grown from seed myself, just over a year old. Japanese White Pine, took some damage from hail when it was really young and has been pretty ugly ever since Still alive tho...
06ABC9F4-8EAF-46D0-864D-31F161FF7D62.jpeg
A Japanese Black pine that I bought from someplace on amazon last year. The first winter here nearly killed it; there’s a thread on here someplace with a few pictures of it since spring. Happy it’s not dead!
35065712-A759-4DF2-BD4F-DFD816F9C84E.jpeg

JoB

Yamadori
Reaction score
Finally got around to getting a pic of this wild tree your one juniper reminded me of, albeit a pretty crappy pic with my crappy phone camera that has crappy zoom. It's the one near dead center of the frame. Not sure why, but this tree has always caught my attention. I think it's the simplicity of character.

Thats really kind of you, thank you 😀
Mine is growing like crazy at the moment... Think i will let it run and then see what i have next year... I will post a picture tomorrow...see if anyone can tell me if that would be the right thing to do

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@dtreesj truth....without the left part of it... it's dope.

I'd cut it off sooner than later.

Unless you have some kind of street sign plan for it.

Left then right.

Sorce

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's my first attempt at wiring. Alberta Spruce and Blue Chamaecyparis.

Hi and welcome aboard!

You get an A for effort on these guys!

Wiring itself is a learning experience. Couple that with knowing the rules of wiring and most folks can put on wire adequately.

The act of Bonsai wiring is an art because:

You must envision your design on an imperfect tree, then know
what to prune​
what to wire​
how to bend properly​
to create the design​
on an imperfectly designed tree.​
I know this because I'm learning how!

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom