Planning ahead for spring - grow boxes

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bumping this thread with my own preparations for spring.

IMG_9790.JPG

I've built eight wooden grow boxes to thicken up and refine some pre-bonsai. I chose to prioritize durability and appearance without worrying too much about price. I'm pleased with how simple the construction was and with how beautiful they will look around my patio.

IMG_9777.JPG

The wood is all Western redcedar in a "select tight knot" grade. Its walls are 5/4" by 6" boards and the bottoms are 1" by 4" boards. All boards are 14" long. I've attached those all with drilled 6x2" galvanized decking screws. I've drilled four holes, 5/16 inches diameter each, spaced on the bottom for tree tie down. The 1/2" slots that provide drainage and aeration are screened with a "pet screen" product that is fiberglass mesh covered with plastic.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Likely! I've seen people suggest they're only necessary once boxes are about 20" in size. Handles sure make sense for confidence in carrying, though.

I have been contemplating 24" lengths of clear 2x2 cedar for feet and/or side rails. I've also been considering 2" side holes that perform double duty for handles and aeration.

I'll report back after the next steps :cool:

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I got about 100 of these things to build before spring, that'll be a good winter project for sure.

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow, that's a lot of trees to collect next spring. I hope we get to see some.
Those are all for trees I currently have and will be employing the ebihara method on.
I did collect 29 trees this year and hope to double that next year, but Ill build each box custom during the time of collection.

Aaron

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I built 35 grow boxes over the fall and winter. That should be enough ;)

I went to the monthly club meeting and tried to sell some. People were interested but nobody bit on the opportunity. I may have been asking too much and not adequately identifying how durable these will be. People were impressed by the mitred corners, at least! :cool:

$35 for 12x12x4 (from 1x4 construction)
$45 for 16x16x6 (from 5/4 x 6 construction)
$70 for 19x19x6 (from 5/4 x 6 construction; heavy duty handles installed)

(All measurements are in inches and outer dimensions; holes are pre-drilled for tie-down wiring)

I also suspect much of the club does not have very large trees or practice massive growing outside of a prepared bed.

I'm estimating that red cedar connected with galvanized screws should last at least 4 growing seasons.

Feedback welcomed.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cavemen like me carry cash, maybe the simple act of payment is a hurdle? Maybe a little pricey,(I wouldn't know) but I'm imagining the awkward silence after you list your prices and suddenly everyone thinks they're a carpenter. Especially if the parking lot has a BMW or two.....a club members efforts should be supported.

But you did list some possible "suspicions" so not much you can do. Aside from, you know, have 35 trees in nice grow boxes!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:......plus how many more?

I would have bought one. Maybe you could trade/barter them?:cool:

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I just split a heap of pallets and have far more than I need for the few grow boxes I need but I'm sure I can find some good uses for it.
Don't think my boxes will have the quality and durability of @parhamr's though.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@LanceMac10 I appreciate your thoughts! It wasn’t a fully speculative exercise—I already have 16 trees put into the boxes and another 12 or so trees matched with a box, pending the right timing for repotting :)

I did specify CASH ONLY, so that’s also a likely complication. Next time I will have a phone card reader with which I can accept credit.

Five people did ask me for contact info for commissions. Now that I know people are a little timid about this money and the particulars of what their purchase gets them I think I will be better prepared next time with a less overwhelming display of available products and more formalized information like with brochures or business cards.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
That's one of the reasons I stoped making my boxes as seen in my avatar. No matter what they cost you to make it is difficult to account for the time it takes to make them. Most people don't equate that into the deal. It's funny how people think about this kind of thing. I remember years ago in a church I attended the members of the congregation had this kind of convoluted idea that because you were a member of the church you should offer your efforts, time and expenses to them and zero cost as giving to the Lord, or almost nothing.

I kind of turned the tables on them one day, hypothetically, by asking the question in discussing the above philosophy of something for nothing: "If I use the same logic that my labor as a brother should be donated" "Is it not plausible that I should expect twice my fee from you because I will be doing a blessed job and it will be worth more, and I am your brother?" Of course you know where this went real fast. This is one of those arguments that only goes one way, and it ain't up. In the end everybody loses. Unless you are doing what you do out of love of doing it, do it for your own benefit.

Last edited:

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Vance Wood I appreciate that insight. I do enjoy woodworking and it’s for my own benefit. I was hoping to see if there was a commercial value to my efforts and I think I found out what you did, but years later :)

I’m next going to see if any of my peers around here are interested in a beautiful, $600 bench. At least I will get the chance to show of my awesome work.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Feedback welcomed.

Nice box! Lol!

You want "cheapass" feedback, that turns out to not be worth shit to you?

I hate spending money, but I'd buy one, but only cuz I know what it is to build em.

Here's the thing.

You're onto something with the commission's.

People need what they need, and tend to understand paying a bit more even, for something "custom".
We know one size doesn't fit all!

Stain em to match their fence for more?

What else can you do for them that leaves the work time the same?

Barter all day!

You're bound to fall into a hidden gem or 2 like @Dorian Fourie did.

Just treat them like YOUR credit card!

Oh and....if what's going on in other parts of your neck of the woods is any tell to the what is going on....
It is quite possible you simply have them priced too low!

For real, 5 happy customers will fetch you at least one more.
And the best thing about doing commissioned work is, while you are toiling, it's already sold! So a lot less stressful! At least you KNOW your work is for a purpose! Makes it easier!

Galvanized screws will end up white rusting, Stainless would last longer and stay clean.

But Damn if this doesn't lead me to wanting a product that will last forever.

If people see the value in it.

Sorce

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce thanks! This is helpful. You have a … unique perspective lol

I had contemplated buying stainless and now I understand its value. That may very well be my first upgrade option for commissions ;)

(the other tweak may be to use the craft store plastic mesh)

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
unique perspective

Speaking of box....

I don't even believe in the box that regular people think outside of.

As soon as you, "think outside the box", you have stuck yourself in another place that haults creativity and forward thought.

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
When you think outside the box all you have done is provide a different box and then not get the credit for it. Ask the Wright brothers, or Nicola Tesla.

I think your wood work is primo and as such should bring some bucks. Your problem is that you design is easily duplicatable, mine is not but it is replaceable, or substitutable with pond baskets or colanders at far less money. No one wants a hand made widget unless it is the last home made widget by the inventor himself. I have one left that I will leave to one of my children and maybe in a hundred years it will be worth some money. Of maybe they will burry my sorry ass with it.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
We keep vacillating between winter and spring. I arose this AM and the temperature was 45*, yesterday it was 15*, Little Orphan Annie said it best; the sun will come out tomorrow----trouble is tomorrow is always-----tomorrow. You are fortunate to live in a part of the country where the winters are moderately mild and the springs only moderately wild.

Top Bottom