[POLL] BC (and Red Maple) collection/yamadori's this season in the SE USA -- discussion on horticultural-timing of doing the deed!!

When is the earliest "OK" time to collect BC's in the SE USA?

• December

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 1st half Jan

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 2nd half Jan

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • 1st half Feb

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • 2nd half Feb

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • 1st Half March

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
SO glad to read this, yes I fully agree with you and in fact I see it ALL the time (trees that still need structural girthening but are in 'show' containers...since I never bought an already-finished bonsai, I don't have any 'show' containers just grow containers...how I understood it *should* be but there's a massive % of trees that aren't done being developed but still shoved in small pots, that BC was certainly one! I'd only used it to demonstrate that specific type of horizontal-wounding since it was an extreme example)

In the interim I browsed (my annual browsing :D ) my BC's folder a bit and @rockm 's beastly beauty here caught my eye as precisely what I was conveying w/ the others (only, as he should, he's got it in an appropriate container...well if we consider solid-walls appropriate still :p )
View attachment 351466
....frickin' wow what a looker, not even just 'has a knee' but "has fluting appropriate-to the knee", totally awesome catch there @rock, I would LOVE updates on this guy it gives me some hope because I can certainly see a lil inverse going on at that wound site, nevermind that such quality stock warrants updates anyways so if at all able I'd love to see a pic (or link, if it's already elsewhere)

~~~~~~~~~~~

While not precisely the same, I found something fascinating Re wounding on BC's that I'm hoping @Mellow Mullet can help me understand, I've got these pics of yours Mellow:
View attachment 351480 a finished, bulging wound-site, which you then:View attachment 351481 cut right off!

It appears you remove mostly bark but I would LOVE to know any&everything you can tell me about this....BC's, in my experience, will swell in any spot you stare too long. I literally score/scratch my BC's in spots where I want thickening or better taper...but what you did here, so far as I knew it would cause a bigger callousing which, obviously, wouldn't be something you'd be aiming for!
Have tried removing areas where there was an especially thick callous on the side of the trunk from a prior branch's removal, try to remove more deadwood & "try creating a deeper hollow for it to roll-into" but no matter what I do it seemed to inevitably just cause thickening so I now just use that principle for thickening, there ^ it appears you're using it for thinning a callous, I gotta know what's what on that :D

I think if you would have read the text that went with the pix you would have had an explanation. You are over thinking it, I had chopped it earlier but never sloped the chop. The tree had started to heal over the flat chop, I just sloped it.

Top Bottom