Portulacaria Help please!

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Hey all just a question for you.
This is a PA I just bought and it was sold with out a pot. He gave it to me In a Gritty but wet mix. I originally put it in that pot with the mix for a day till I got my regular bonsai mix ( pumice ,lava,DE and bark) it's root ball wasn't huge but it did have some roots. I have left it pretty dry for a couple days and watered lightly the other day. But it's dropping leaves and they are wilting.

Should I A: leave it dry and hope it recovers or B:give it a good drink of water.
I know over doing both can cause this issue. I'm guessing the plant is also in shock and the roots are probably not happy. I didn't see any rot previously and I don't think they would rot in my chunky mix.

Any help from people with experience would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20231229_104642.jpg
    20231229_104642.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 58
  • 20231229_104650.jpg
    20231229_104650.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20231229_104720.jpg
    20231229_104720.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 59

Russ1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not an expert on these but I wouldn't water unless the soil was really dry... Could maybe mist it. I have a number of them and most are fine but a couple have some leaf drop after moving them into a warmer (70f) and lower humidity room (45-50 rh). A couple that are doing that are in regular potting soil, just some cuttings from this Summer, They all looked better when they were in a cooler (40-50 f) and more humid area. Just wondering if it could be the lower humidity causing it.

MeDupree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It looks thirsty but could also be trauma from repotting so quickly and from my experience once it reaches this appearance you need to be careful how you proceed. I'd water it lightly now and keep an eye on the leaves that still look pretty healthy to see if they retain water. If they do then the roots are probably fine and I would start to bottom water in the near future with such a small pot. Someone with more experience may know better but not sure bark was needed in this soil mix

Reactions: Zac
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The leaf drop and wrinkling could be due to underwatering or change of light/humidity, but it's more likely due to the repotting.

They really don't like having their roots disturbed this time of year.

I had one that I root pruned too early last spring, and it went into a coma for months. Its trunk shriveled. It dropped all its foliage except for one single wrinkled, papery leaf that it held onto tenaciously. It finally started to revive around mid-August.

I've read from experts that they shouldn't be watered till they start pushing new growth. It's probably best to err on the side of keeping them dry when they're in that recovery state.

But it also seems like it's not a good idea to keep them bone dry for weeks or months (if they takes that long to revive). I wouldn't swear by it, but I think an occasional misting of the leaves helps, letting the soil get slightly wet. They seem to like a bit of humidity. (Same with cuttings taken at non-optimal times of the year.)

It could be a coincidence, but my comatose port finally revived this summer immediately after getting soaked by a thunderstorm. So maybe an occasional full watering would be in order--but not too often.

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
The leaf drop and wrinkling could be due to underwatering or change of light/humidity, but it's more likely due to the repotting.

They really don't like having their roots disturbed this time of year.

I had one that I root pruned too early last spring, and it went into a coma for months. Its trunk shriveled. It dropped all its foliage except for one single wrinkled, papery leaf that it held onto tenaciously. It finally started to revive around mid-August.

I've read from experts that they shouldn't be watered till they start pushing new growth. It's probably best to err on the side of keeping them dry when they're in that recovery state.

But it also seems like it's not a good idea to keep them bone dry for weeks or months (if they takes that long to revive). I wouldn't swear by it, but I think an occasional misting of the leaves helps, letting the soil get slightly wet. They seem to like a bit of humidity. (Same with cuttings taken at non-optimal times of the year.)

It could be a coincidence, but my comatose port finally revived this summer immediately after getting soaked by a thunderstorm. So maybe an occasional full watering would be in order--but not too often.
yeah i know i have read all the same stuff. its funny because i messaged a guy who only does Dwarf Jades and he said that my mix of pumice, lava , DE and bark is way to course and i need alot more organics. he also said to water it well.
I think its in shock and also thirsty. i watered it good tonight because with that bonsai mix it shouldnt ever get root rot it drains really well.

I guess time will tell!

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Leaves don't shrivel up like that unless it needs water.
Thank you for validating this. I read on a couple places they shrivel and fall off as well from over watering and then people make the mistake of keep adding water because they think its from not enough lol.
I did give it a good watering ill see how it looks in the morning.

Thanks

Zac

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The bonsai supply has a good video about caring for them. There's also alot of other videos about them from other people on you tube. I was told that they like a good deep watering then let dry out till leaves start to show signs of wrinkling then give a good deep watering again and so on. When I moved mine inside for winter it started losing leaves but they didn't shrivel up that bad just alittle I increased the light supply gave deep watering and a dose of fertilizer and now it's pushing new growth. This is my first year with it so no expert but just what I've learned they're tough plants

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
The bonsai supply has a good video about caring for them. There's also alot of other videos about them from other people on you tube. I was told that they like a good deep watering then let dry out till leaves start to show signs of wrinkling then give a good deep watering again and so on. When I moved mine inside for winter it started losing leaves but they didn't shrivel up that bad just alittle I increased the light supply gave deep watering and a dose of fertilizer and now it's pushing new growth. This is my first year with it so no expert but just what I've learned they're tough plants
Thanks fir the reply
I have been watching lots of vids and had them before just never this issue or this old of a plant. I watered it and under good set of lights

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In as coarse a soil as it looks to be in, you can't really over water. I mean, yeah, it's possible, but you'd have to try. Watering every day in summer won't hurt it probably; a couple times a week in winter.
Have you heard the chopstick trick?
Jab a wooden chopstick or similar into the soil and leave it there. Use it as a dipstick to check soil moisture. Water right before the stick is completely dry.

Portulacaria are succulents, so almost like cactus; If it's shriveling, it's generally thirsty.
Also remember that the leaves don't last forever. The old and weak ones will fall off from time to time, and they're the first to go when the plant gets stressed.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
yeah i know i have read all the same stuff. its funny because i messaged a guy who only does Dwarf Jades and he said that my mix of pumice, lava , DE and bark is way to course and i need alot more organics. he also said to water it well.
I think its in shock and also thirsty. i watered it good tonight because with that bonsai mix it shouldnt ever get root rot it drains really well.

I guess time will tell!
That guys is right. A lot of people want to apply tree bonsai truisms to PA, which is a succulent after all.

They do like water more than youd think, and they grow better with some dirt in the pot (IMO).

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Looking at the pics, it seems the outer leaves are doing fine, so yes I'd agree it's a bit underwater and mostly stressed from a winter repot and transfer indoors.

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Looking at the pics, it seems the outer leaves are doing fine, so yes I'd agree it's a bit underwater and mostly stressed from a winter repot and transfer indoors.
Thanks for your reply.
That good soak yesterday has seemed to help. Once it is established and healthy I'll mix in some organics to the soil.

Top Bottom