Prunus Mume

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
yes pretty! cant wait to see it in a different pot. is this new pot your "finish" show pot? why round?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
yes pretty! cant wait to see it in a different pot. is this new pot your "finish" show pot? why round?
I actually don’t mind the pot it’s in. It was a cheapo Tokoname I bought at the Monastery a long time ago.
The new pot is intended to be a show pot. We’ll see how it looks when it arrives.
I think the shape of the tree needs a round pot. What would you use?

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looking back it looks better with the pot wet, or oiled . Doesn’t look bad, don’t take it that way . I have a hard time pairing pots , is why I asked , the flowers are beautiful and delicate , the trunk with the deadwood/Shari is fabulous , strengthens the image , maybe it seems a bit unbalanced idk, maybe a shallow unglazed rectangle with rounded edges ? I think even a nice glaze would be cool, I really like this tree a lot ,you have done a magnificent job with it and I’m sure it will be an award winner if it has not already . I’m not too knowledgeable with ume, I did read your link on peter tea , I missed that one on his blog some how ,

I’m searching for a nice one myself , so these cannot be chopped back hard to grow new branches , or ....??? I appreciate your input . I’m looking at a couple with nice trunks but all have long straight branches coming off the trunk , straight up toward the ☀️

Thanks again

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Don’t worry, you won’t hurt my feelings any. The current pot is boring and maybe a bit bowl-like, but Ume seem to look best in understated pots, unglazed or dark dull glazes. I toyed around with a bunch of pots a few years ago:
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2012/02/18/prunus-mume-3a-of-4-a-poll-of-sorts/

Rugged bark means you can pair it like it’s a pine, and blooms suggest you can pair it to compliment the flowers, since that’s when they’re usually shown. Kobyashi has some great ume in his book, with some incredible pots, most are unglazed, or namako, or old dull dark blue glazes.

You should be able to chop ume branches hard, at the right time if it’s growing strongly.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Doesn’t look bad with the glaze

The green Houtoku
And the blue oval Yamaaki are a nice pair

I do like the unglazed with this particular tree , Has a stronger feel

Thanks

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
BVF,
Very nice ume. I am going to get an ume this year (as a tiny cutting with roots) and grow it out in a grow bed for future use. Any pointers or suggestions? I'd be happy if mine turned out as nice as yours in 15 years :)

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
BVF,
Very nice ume. I am going to get an ume this year (as a tiny cutting with roots) and grow it out in a grow bed for future use. Any pointers or suggestions? I'd be happy if mine turned out as nice as yours in 15 years :)

fertilize well

Top Bottom