Purpose of the past post. Giant Ficus.

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So I reckon this is my first successful thread graft. Though it won't be successful to me till the chop above it heals with aesthetically pleasing results.

Likely won't chop above it till it is half the size of the base anyway.

Entry on the left. Exit right.

View attachment 258574

Sorce
WOW what a great thread-find! Gotta ask- let's say that you'd thread-grafted but, instead of going through an un-touched trunk, you had to go-through a trunk that was half-deadwood, then months later your thread-grafted scion is growing like a weed (and has been 100% removed from its original rootstock), is there any possible way to discern whether it's actual cambial-fusion that's taken place or if the thread-graft's roots have simply penetrated the deadwood?
(Oh! Do you happen to know if Microcarpa scions will merge/fuse with, and be sufficient to support, Benjamina rootstock? The aforementioned ^ thread-graft is a Microcarpa scion going through a benjamina trunk, not unlike your house-plant one here actually except that it's got a deadwood shari running up its entire trunk, at any rate I put the thread-graft there so I could layer-off the top, and I've just set my layering up - this will remove the tall Benjamina's only natural limb, leaving *just* that thread-grafted Microcarpa branch - am praying the microcarpa will keep that benjamina rootstock alive as I'm in-love with the trunk of this thing in fact I hate the idea of layering its single, wayyy-high-up branch off, but I need that branch to fuse-into a trunk-chop-wound on another, more important benjamina, so..priorities! ;D )

Thanks for this, you & @AZbonsai (seems this was your 1st-ever real project, the one you'd started this thread with - my 1st ever trunk-chop was when, ignorant & eager, I ran outside with my sawzall and chopped my 6' topiary ficus.benji down to ~1.25' tall, then watched it for months as it slowly died >8-| ) Ficus are an interestsing-as-hell specie, while benjaminas don't tend to backbud easily I've actually got a freak benji yamadori that's got so much "epicormic/undifferentiated tissue"/burls/whatever at its top / trunk-line that it puts out bushes of backbuds, I literally use a knife and just scrape off scores of new shoots with every blade-stroke, am slowly working-through these areas just using rasp-bits on my grinder to remove them completely from the trunking, they're neat but ugly & a PITA! After reading this thread, however, I'm thinking maybe I should layer one of the sections off, I know it'll throw aerials readily so it'll certainly root well, maybe I could just cut it off and root it, gonna go outside nao and give that a shot to see if I can get some truly unique/novel ficus.b material ;D

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Sounds like a cambial connection....
But, I wouldn't know, I am still nervous to cut mine, as, even though the exit is bigger, it could be just swelled and not really cambially connected.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shoulda got to grafting on this earlier eh?
I want to place a couple more.

20191226_164001.jpg

Thinking about running whips thru all these circles to uncircle them.
20191226_163733.jpg

20191226_163822.jpg

The successful "Apex" graft.
20191226_163855.jpg

This one is still connected, I reckon it will succeed.
20191226_163555.jpg

So I ran it back up thru there.
20191226_163559.jpg

And stuck these in.
20191226_163614.jpg

By the time those take, I hope to run this cutting up thru the middle of that wound, after cutting off all these donors.
20191226_163634.jpg

Sorce

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
This one is still connected, I reckon it will succeed.
20191226_163555.jpg
This one is exiting through dead wood correct? How does that work? It doesn't strangle the scion?
Thanks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one is exiting through dead wood correct? How does that work? It doesn't strangle the scion?
Thanks

I actually dug a channel thru the Deadwood under the paste, but it will end up being dw it exits from, but a thin layer, it is mostly carved back to the dark live layer.

I'm hoping it fills the channel and pours over.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do it! Do it now!

Amen! I just nekkided my other and out him out. Had bad scale so I had to wait for signs of better life, so I could take it far back!

Problem 2. Using the tree itself to mount the lights means I gotta .... contraptionalize some new shit to hold the lights over the fish tank!🤦🏽‍♀️

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Amen! I just nekkided my other and out him out. Had bad scale so I had to wait for signs of better life, so I could take it far back!

Problem 2. Using the tree itself to mount the lights means I gotta .... contraptionalize some new shit to hold the lights over the fish tank!🤦🏽‍♀️

Sorce
Lol! I got free standing joints.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol! I got free standing joints.

This took a second to register, as I didn't think I mentioned the one other plant that needs to go outside, that will hopefully net me, some free joints.

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This took a second to register, as I didn't think I mentioned the one other plant that needs to go outside, that will hopefully net me, some free joints.

Sorce
Now I'm confused! 😂
I meant I have free standing floor lamps for my indoor lights....like 5 of them with the bendy neck, and a couple additional clamp on lamps.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now I'm confused! 😂
I meant I have free standing floor lamps for my indoor lights....like 5 of them with the bendy neck, and a couple additional clamp on lamps.

Lately, I been wondering if growing your own medicine falls under HIPPA. The law shouldn't be able to ask us if we are growing weed, cuz its our healthcare, which they don't need privy to.

What ....Trump's what?

They can't call it medicinal if it's not.

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
They can't call it medicinal if it's not.
It is in a sense....even here in MD.
Laws certainly clash sometimes.

Here, they decriminalized small amounts about ten years ago.
Then came the Medical....which has really taken off in the last 3 years due to the creation of the greatest economic conditions ever experienced by human beings in the history of Earth.

I think the next step is similar to DC's current law.....you can grow up to 4 plants (I think 4) and use your own harvest. Just can't buy or sell legally.

After a few years of that, it'll be like CO here.....just a slow walk.

Other than the economic conditions, I dont think the Federal Govt is playing much of a role in this one.
Its a State's issue.
Federal suppression and economic strangulation will only grow the black market.
They'd be wise to get their cut, imho.

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Want to hear a joke?

The only people in the history of the planet who can't turn a profit selling weed is the Ontario Government!

Oh the joke? The last part is the joke.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Want to hear a joke?

The only people in the history of the planet who can't turn a profit selling weed is the Ontario Government!

Oh the joke? The last part is the joke.

Lol!

It sucks when your city doesn't have a long documented history of corruption, cuz it's harder to understand why everything is so fucked up!

Sorce

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Really learning Earth.

Sorce
Wow, I have never heard of this though ive watched a couple of Joe Rogans trip videos. Cool stuff.. I've read and watched extensively on DMT, psilocybin, angels trumpet vine, etc. as I find secondary plant metabolites (THC, Nicotine, Cocaine are all examples of sm) and their interactions with the body or uses fascinating in all purposes. Considering a similar field of research.

Sounds like quite a terrifying experience, one id be surprised if you were keen to

Last edited:
Top Bottom