Questions about Fukien Tea

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Should I wait until spring to get new trees? I want to grow some coniferous trees because I really like their look. Any recommendations for a good beginner tree?
Depends. If you're able to safely overwinter conifers, like in a garage, and grow them outside during the growing season, I see no reason to wait. Check out white cedar, Rocky Mountain juniper, shimpaku juniper, and larch. All fairly easy conifers to start with. Stick with what grows in your area.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Fuikein tea suck as bonsai outside their native climate, and especially for a newbie. They're touchy to being moved, over/under watered, need lots of light to be happy, and are prone to many pests and diseases. If you're relegated to growing bonsai inside, check into a green island ficus. They're far more tolerant.

For this one, identify the pests and research the best treatment to eradicate them, then go do it.
Use this tree to learn how to water properly.

When you do kill it, keep the pot, and move on to the next tree. Best to have several trees so you're not worrying one to death.

I've had mine for years and its still growing very strong. I've done a lot to this tree and never had a problem with it, so it can be done if done correctly. They are not that difficult to take care of.

Rick

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I've had mine for years and its still growing very strong. I've done a lot to this tree and never had a problem with it, so it can be done if done correctly. They are not that difficult to take care of.

Rick
Congratulations. You're in rare company. Would love to see it.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's under my fukien tea in this section. I am in the process of building foliage pads this winter.

Rick

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ditto to BVF comment Lem.

If you get "nice" trees....like into hundreds.....or thousands.....I'd get some cheap Junipers too....case you get a hankering to WORK some stuff!

Hardest Thing IMO bout buying them now.....the waiting!

If I could do it again........I'd spend this winter, bouncing possible purchases of the likes of BVF and others...but don't be anxious....

It all depends on your Bonsai Attitude tho!
Creator....collector.....refiner.....seed starter.....juni killer......

Who are you!?

Sorce

Top Bottom