Re-potting Juniper Advice? Tips?

Juic3dup

Seedling
Reaction score
Just got a new Juniper! And I re potted it but the roots were balled pretty tight so I kissed it up as much as possible without damaging the roots. I re potted it in a larger wider bonsai pot. There is some of the roots sticking out on top is that alright? If the majority of rooting is soiled? Will it grow crazy looking? Or should I get a deeper pot? Or comb the roots out a bit more to I don’t wanna hurt the plant to much? Any advice?

Attachments

• 965F5EC7-610D-42B6-BBBE-0B01B29E6972.jpeg
    965F5EC7-610D-42B6-BBBE-0B01B29E6972.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 26

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Trees are remarkably resilient. I can remember being frightened of cutting roots as a beginner. Most can cope with loss of up to half the roots at any time so we grow accustomed to cutting roots when repotting bonsai.
Roots that have tips in the air will probably die but any that have the tips in the soil will be fine even if some intermediate parts are exposed. Look up root over rock bonsai to see that roots can be fine growing through the air provided the ends are in soil.
Your tree is small. Plenty of time to go further in future. For this year I would leave it be and get over the fear of repotting then do a better job next spring.

There will be lots of advice to 'put it in the ground or grow box' to get a bigger, thicker trunk but growing small bonsai is also legitimate so you have a choice to keep the small pot.

Hope you understand that junipers do not like being indoors. Definitely keep it outdoors if you hope for it to survive longer than a few weeks.

Top Bottom