Rmj, how much tree to use?

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well...Life has been busy enough that I haven't been thinking of trees much. I've got some time now and suddenly can't stop daydreaming trees again.
Anyways thinking of spring if it ever comes. I figure it's time to shove this guy into something ceramic. If I'm looking for a pot may as well sorce it out at Bnut. (Punny eh?)
@sorce what do you say, into building this one a home?image.jpg

No rush, trees are somewhere under all this still. image.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
what do you say

Bout a thousand cuss words!

You know Dudley Do-right?
Oh shit, I googled it since I don't exactly.....
Moose! Hell yeah you know him!

Anyway...

Mother Fuckright!

Happy Dance!

Sorce

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well...Life has been busy enough that I haven't been thinking of trees much. I've got some time now and suddenly can't stop daydreaming trees again.
Anyways thinking of spring if it ever comes. I figure it's time to shove this guy into something ceramic. If I'm looking for a pot may as well sorce it out at Bnut. (Punny eh?)
@sorce what do you say, into building this one a home?View attachment 177459

No rush, trees are somewhere under all this still. View attachment 177460
What condition are your trees that have been styled/wired when they come out of the snow? I am thinking more about how I winter my trees, there are always parts bent/broken after a whole winter.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nothing new done yet. Just felt like taking a current pic. View attachment 151516
Love the progress you have made on this tree. Have you considered developing the apex a bit to the left. That combined with the lower left change may create an interesting look as well.
Great work, will be very interested to see the outcome.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Anyway...

Mother Fuckright!

Happy Dance!

Sorce
Bullwinkle!
I'll get back to you with measurements.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What condition are your trees that have been styled/wired when they come out of the snow? I am thinking more about how I winter my trees, there are always parts bent/broken after a whole winter.

Ask me in the spring!

Generally pretty good though, I have had some unfortunate learning moments.
Packing trees very tightly together can be dangerous. If the canopies are tight to each other snow doesn't even touch the ground and the trees take the full weight of the snowpack. In addition it creates a nice cozy snow cave at ground level for rodents to live and get hungry in. I still pack them tight to save space but I get in there with a stick and do my best to work the snow through branches and down to the ground after the first couple snowfalls. Spring is the worst time if you have unsupported snow, once it starts weakening and breaking into islands it loses that bridging effect that spreads the load and can easily take off embedded frozen in branches.

I took some pics early winter for some reason so...
Some smaller at least partially styled trees are under here.image.jpg

Some stick work, trying to work snow down without damaging anything.image.jpg

Small wooden beams to support the snow that is yet to comeimage.jpgimage.jpg

After those bits of wood went on I had something to stand on to get out there to work the snow down more and then I added a few more pieces across to the fence. Similar strategy has worked well in the past so hopefully all is well under there. I only get fancy like that with the few trees I have that are actually styled or further along. Everything else gets stuffed together with a bit of strategic placement to have strong bits of trees support the weight for weaker bits of trees and the hope that the snow gods show mercy.

Last edited:

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the progress you have made on this tree. Have you considered developing the apex a bit to the left. That combined with the lower left change may create an interesting look as well.
Great work, will be very interested to see the outcome.

Nope, that hasn't really jumped out as a way forward to me. If you want to share your thought on why this might improve matters I'll see if I can see it. After the last style this past summer I pretty much thought I was done making decisions on the tree for a while and next will be attempting to further refine as is. Try to develop denser more defined foliage, a bit of extension in a couple spots..improve the image as is rather than try to grow/develop towards something else I mean to say.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nope, that hasn't really jumped out as a way forward to me. If you want to share your thought on why this might improve matters I'll see if I can see it. After the last style this past summer I pretty much thought I was done making decisions on the tree for a while and next will be attempting to further refine as is. Try to develop denser more defined foliage, a bit of extension in a couple spots..improve the image as is rather than try to grow/develop towards something else I mean to say.
Fair enough, my thought was a minor tweak of the top slightly left based on looking at the fairly parallel line of the left form in relation to the deadwood on the right. Your explanation makes sense with some branches lengthening in the profile. Thanks for sharing your insight. It is a fine piece.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well... After a lot of thought and debating options the decision has been made. I suppose I've gotten braver as I cut off the top quicker than I thought I would. The upper trunk foliage was 80 percent trimmed back this spring and the trunk chopped this morning.

MEH:rolleyes:!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cannot find interest in this tree since beginning butcher job. Perhaps if main descending branch moved farther from main trunk. GOOD trunk needs openness as main focal point. Foliage interferes:rolleyes:.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Cannot find interest in this tree since beginning butcher job. Perhaps if main descending branch moved farther from main trunk. GOOD trunk needs openness as main focal point. Foliage interferes:rolleyes:.
It's one thing to expose a good trunk but you have to be careful that in doing so you do not frame it with a decent set of branches. If you are dealing with a tree that does not back bud you have a problem.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Anyway...

Mother Fuckright!

Happy Dance!

Sorce

I think it's gonna want a wide spot of 11 1/4". Oval, round, sorcerangle, whatever, would all work with the roots as long as the wide point reaches that. Depth of 2 3/4". Those are inside dimensions. No inside lips or inward flare please.
The rest is up to you design as you please.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's one thing to expose a good trunk but you have to be careful that in doing so you do not frame it with a decent set of branches. If you are dealing with a tree that does not back bud you have a problem.

It's always worth keeping in mind that the eye can see through a lot that a camera doesn't too. The lower jinn on this tree for example. It wraps around in front of the trunk and in photos looks like it obscures and should be removed or repositioned. In reality the eye sees around it just fine and it is just some nice depth and interest. Same with foliage, what appears hidden in a photo may not be so much in person.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Pottie, you're not looking hard enough...:rolleyes:.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Wireme, having an all too brief visit and seeing his trees. First and foremost, he’s one hell of a nice guy. His collected material rivals any professionally collected material I’ve seen. He is horticulturally and stylistically curious. His natural resource knowledge exceeds most members of this forum. He does this while working full time to support his young family. He doesn’t have the luxury of highly skilled professionals, mentors or active clubs nearby. We are all on this quest for experience, skills and knowledge. Sometimes the road there gets a little bumpy. It has for all of us. Wireme has my full respect.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is the 11 1/4...(I have a CM ruler now!)
More or less across the front?

Like this?2018-02-14-12-46-52.jpg

Is that chopped off spot off choppable?

What would that other dimension be happy at?

I'll have more questions

Sorce

Top Bottom