SD collecting 2013

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Checked out the roots today too...very encouraging. The burlap is gone; duct tape is still there, and the roots have happily moved out into the aggregate. This summer, I won't use duct tape to wrap the roots, but something that breaks down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 220

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
No cedar-apple rust...yet. Maybe it will stay at bay until I can remove the original rmj foliage!

Those grafting nails are really useful, and I have been reusing the only ones I ever found since 2002. It's like having a third hand. Have fun grafting yours!
Where do you get your grafting nails? They look just like the ones yenling83 is using over at Aichi En. http://www.yenlingbonsai.com/
I googled "grafting nails", odd stuff came up.

*correction: yenling wasn't using them, but he has a photo of them used in Japan.

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That's where I got mine...I know many who've looked for them and only found them in Japan. Grab them while you can!

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I wish we had a place in Chile to get yamadori junipers... :(
These look so promising

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Separation anxiety...
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
I'd been weakening the scion below the graft for a year now, and noticed today that only about 1/16" wide live vein was still attached; if that, so I took the plunge today. We'll see. Decided to use a Kathy trick, wrapping the graft area with a cloth to keep the graft area moist for a while. Maybe it will help the graft continue to knit, and maybe it's not necessary.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Separation anxiety...
View attachment 105955 View attachment 105956 View attachment 105957 View attachment 105958 View attachment 105959
I'd been weakening the scion below the graft for a year now, and noticed today that only about 1/16" wide live vein was still attached; if that, so I took the plunge today. We'll see. Decided to use a Kathy trick, wrapping the graft area with a cloth to keep the graft area moist for a while. Maybe it will help the graft continue to knit, and maybe it's not necessary.
Ahhh B, why did you open that can :) It does make a difference.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ahhh B, why did you open that can :) It does make a difference.
You implying that one wants to keep the scion xylem intact to the pot while the photosynthesis products should be forced to go down the mother-stock's phloem to assure growth of a connected xylem (in other words, simply keep the pot and just sever the scion's bark+phloem+cambium on the pot side of the graft, like it is an air layer)? o_O

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
Isn't that a hell of a thing. When you're young you can't afford it, but if you wait until you can afford it, your body can't afford it.
When I was young I tended to have a 55 - 60 lb backpack on and even though I was at altitude in the alpine areas (or higher) of WA State, I spent three quarters of my looking time focused on my steps so I wouldn't get my nose/body into the same proximity as my feet. Boy, with the fitness I had, what I could have packed out of those hills.

Sure I saw trees, and I've no doubt some stunning potential yamadori but I had'nt seen Karate Kid yet, (I believe my first introduction to bonsai). WA is full of trees and for the most part I took them for granted, kinda sorta still do yet able to appreciate more. Now that I'm older, Im wondering what I didn't "see".

Thanks @Brian Van Fleet for the many gathering pointers you've posted in this thread, and for unknowingly spuring me on to contact the Gifford Pinchot National Forest (boundary is kinda sorta just up the road from me) for the legal authorization to harvest a/some possible evergreens. This national forest contains Mt Adams, and Mt Saint Helens which took out millions of trees with one slight boom, and the area between these two mountains contain a fair amount of elevation, which contains a fair amount of stomping grounds of stunted trees. I'm interested in what their tree harvesting policy/amount is.

Also will speak to another agency re tree harvesting in an area I believe is also public land. This is lower down, closer to home, and contains the maple I've already got my sights on but have put off harvesting because I simply don't have permission to do so.

@Brian Van Fleet, thanks again for your input on bnut.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
With grafting, failure is always an option...2 years down the drain.
View attachment 106406
It's refreshing to hear someone mention the truth. Very often we get the newbie come this way saying that they plan on grafting this and that, like they know what they are doing and it's a simple matter with high success rates. The truth is as Brian has pointed out; an occasional source of disappoint.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Like Judy says.
That blows!
Yes it does. I've had great success grafting on other juniper species but not old, collected RMJs. I suspect I'm not cutting the groove to accept the graft deep enough...the wood below the cambium is HARD and a grafting knife isn't enough. The next groove I cut on this one will be with a wheel bit on my dremel.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I used power tools on mine too, but this on ended up with a too-wide groove. Though it really looked like it had fused.
All I know is I'm waiting a lot longer to consider separating the better one.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I used power tools on mine too, but this on ended up with a too-wide groove. Though it really looked like it had fused.
All I know is I'm waiting a lot longer to consider separating the better one.
View attachment 106425 View attachment 106426

Brian, do you have an update on these trees that you collected? How about your buddies? This was pretty interesting to me as I have found a few landscape junipers ive been thinking about.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian, do you have an update on these trees that you collected? How about your buddies? This was pretty interesting to me as I have found a few landscape junipers ive been thinking about.
The 4 I collected are doing great. I gave one away, styled one, and have left the other two to grow.
04DA5FC8-CC01-4EF9-9808-6DBE8821FCEB.jpeg AFC1E056-F30A-4C56-8D27-37CB5DA6B32C.jpeg 221FBCFC-FAA3-40D8-B714-E9DF77BFEE2E.jpeg

Reaction score
First time i read about your collecting trip. Must be fun. Question about the failed graft. Is that area callousing over now, or still slow in growing? Nice to see old trees like this grow.

Top Bottom