semi-cascade manzanita

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Greg: Why did you not post that stuff earlier when I asked my original question? Why did you instead assume that I was trying to impugn your ability with this plant? It is quite obvious you know what you are doing with it but you instead, decided to go down the deep and ugly. And you are also correct I don't know a great deal about the ins and outs of Manzanitta---that's why I asked my question.

My original question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance Wood
I still have questions about this tree. It has now been established that you can collect successfully the young and small "Nitas", but has anyone had success with the large and old examples that look like they jumped out of a Kimura project? Iused to see a lot of them when I was living in California but so far I have not seen an example of one posted anywhere.

What is wrong with this question? Maybe it's just because I asked it? But instead of getting what you just posted, which would have answered my question---and honestly stimulated more as in how did you do it--you responded with this.

Why don't you give it a rest, Vance? We've been through this on a number of forums; it's ridiculous. First on Garden Web, then IBC and this one a couple years ago. I'm through posting to refresh your memory every couple of years. The only point I see to your post here is to belittle the tree being presented.

I might say that I've seen your nursery mugos and they leave me wanting when compared to some of the awesome yamadori mugos we see in a lot of European shows. And the yamadori pines that are available in the U.S. make yours look "young and small". How does it feel, back at ya?

I too find my Mugos lacking but what does that have to do with this?

I have never insulted you purposefully, or said your work was wanting, but you found it necessary do that to me. I think this shows a little more about your mettle than about your skill with this tree and I find it sad.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Greg, any update on this tree? Thanks. Bonhe

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I'd really like to hear the story about this tree in particular. I think it's absolutely amazing and the best I've seen in a Bonsai pot. Boon told me he took care of it for one of his clients. Can you tell me any more?

Attachments

• BIBmanzanita.jpg
    BIBmanzanita.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 170

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'd really like to hear the story about this tree in particular. I think it's absolutely amazing and the best I've seen in a Bonsai pot. Boon told me he took care of it for one of his clients. Can you tell me any more?

I agree, I too would like to hear how and where the tree was collected if anyone is sharing. Who does it belong to? Considering what Greg has told us about the tree I would suggest the tree would do better and look better in a deeper pot, both for the sake of the tree and the asthetics. In my earlier questions about this species I was asking about trees just like this one.

Reaction score

this one is amazing. they all look nice but this one makes a very strong impression. nothing like that grows where i live.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Greg - when do you recommend lifting these trees from the ground when being collected from the wild? I'm talking about Southern California manzanitas at about 2000 - 3000'

Reaction score
I've never collected them in CA, but when I was in AZ, late winter/early spring was the best time. Any time after significant rain is also good but never in June and July as it's too hot to acclimate them adequately. Watch the buds on the tips of branches and @ the base of the petioles too. When they start to become active it tells you that the roots are actively growing. Remove the duff from around the base of the tree and look for roots near the surface and around the edges of the root pad if it's growing on rock. If you find active feeder roots, it's a good time to collect.

Charles M

Seedling
Reaction score
Peter Macasieb has collected a large, older Manzanita, with a lot of deadwood, and successfully containerized it. I saw it at the Bonsai-a-thon today, and I have a photo, and Peter's permission to publish the photo on my website. Hopefully I will get to it this evening or tomorrow. Peter's tree is an Arizona Manzanita, and was growing in a shallow bowl of decomposed granite when he collected it, according to what he told me.

So it is possible to collect a larger, older Manzanita -- but no one has done it with a California Manzanita yet.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Please post the picture soon, I have been waiting for years to see one of these guys successfully turned into a bonsai.

Charles M

Seedling
Reaction score
I have the photo of Peter Macasieb's Manzanita up on my site, Kuromatsubonsai.com, or click the link in my sig -- if I got it to work right.

Reaction score
Charles,

I could be mistaken but Peter told me he got the Manzanita at a convention workshop with 6 other people (your website says he collected it). He kept in touch with the other participants and all of their trees died, some within 6 months. He said he used seeds to grow crabgrass so the roots would become tighter in the pot (he later removed the grass). All in all, it's pretty amazing to see such a fine tree doing so well given the difficulty I've had with Manzanita.

JC

Reaction score
Peter Macasieb has collected a large, older Manzanita, with a lot of deadwood, and successfully containerized it. I saw it at the Bonsai-a-thon today, and I have a photo, and Peter's permission to publish the photo on my website. Hopefully I will get to it this evening or tomorrow. Peter's tree is an Arizona Manzanita, and was growing in a shallow bowl of decomposed granite when he collected it, according to what he told me.

So it is possible to collect a larger, older Manzanita -- but no one has done it with a California Manzanita yet.

Lindsay Shiba and Cheryl Manning both have manzanita bonsai and both live in CA;)

Reaction score
Charles,

I could be mistaken but Peter told me he got the Manzanita at a convention workshop with 6 other people (your website says he collected it). He kept in touch with the other participants and all of their trees died, some within 6 months. He said he used seeds to grow crabgrass so the roots would become tighter in the pot (he later removed the grass). All in all, it's pretty amazing to see such a fine tree doing so well given the difficulty I've had with Manzanita.

JC

I gave a workshop on collected manzanita at the GSBF convention in Anaheim in 2005; eight signed up and walked away with a manzanita, Peter was among them. He posted a photo on this forum last year of the same tree that was in a show somewhere in CA. I was happy to see he has been successful with the tree, it still has some of its original character I remember when I collected it.

Earl Hamner, creator of The Waltons tv series that ran back in the seventies, was also among the participants. A very gracious gentleman to talk with.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I gave a workshop on collected manzanita at the GSBF convention in Anaheim in 2005; eight signed up and walked away with a manzanita, Peter was among them. He posted a photo on this forum last year of the same tree that was in a show somewhere in CA. I was happy to see he has been successful with the tree, it still has some of its original character I remember when I collected it.

Earl Hamner, creator of The Waltons tv series that ran back in the seventies, was also among the participants. A very gracious gentleman to talk with.

There you go! Game set and match. It seems Greg you have something that few others do; the midas touch with these beautiful trees.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep, Peter should get first prize for this show, his Manzanita is beautiful and very original. I was amazed to see this bonsai doing so well. I gave up growing Manzanita two years ago, and promised myself that I will never touch it again. I have too many attempts that failed.

But I still love to see when others succeed.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Earl Hamner, creator of The Waltons tv series that ran back in the seventies, was also among the participants. A very gracious gentleman to talk with.

As a sidetrack, I didn't know this guy was still alive. I grew up near the real "Walton's Mountain" (aka Schuyler, Va.) in the 70's.

Reaction score
Greg,

So when are you going to sell, or trade, me a Manzanita?

JC

I'm workin' on it ;) The move to Oregon presents some difficulty accessing species from your region. I've been playing with what's available here and they just don't have the same character as the ones in the southwest--too much snow here to access the good ones when they are in the best condition to be collected. I did find a sweet old kinnikinick last fall that looks promising. I've also been getting into huckleberries (same family--Heath) I'll keep an eye out for one for you, though:D

Reaction score
"Earl Hamner, creator of The Waltons tv series that ran back in the seventies, was also among the participants. A very gracious gentleman to talk with.

As a sidetrack, I didn't know this guy was still alive. I grew up near the real "Walton's Mountain" (aka Schuyler, Va.) in the 70's.

Yeah Mark, Earl was pretty spry when he attended my workshop and he came out with a new book shortly after that. As far as I know he's still kickin'. He's based in L.A., maybe Attila knows his status?

Last edited:
Top Bottom