Shimpaku from Evergreen Gardenworks

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I worked on it again with Bjorn earlier this month. I liked the second front, but was talked in to staying with the original front...for now. We rewired the main branches, turning the front just a bit counter-clockwise. Later, I fired up the foredom and spent some time carving, then hit with a coat of LS. From here, it should start to take shape fairly well.
2C9C5AA2-BFEE-42EB-BB36-DAEF7C509722.jpeg

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
A couple of thoughts.

I'm glad you kept this front, because with the other front the very long second jin just hit me in the face. I think even with pulling some foliage around, that jin would have to be shortened a lot. With this front, the long jin works really well. And the foliage is shown to much better advantage, of course.

My second thought includes a question: Are the runners I see on the right there intentionally? It seems to me that if those pads extend as far as the runners do now, the overall balance of the entire foliage mass to the interesting trunk below would be better. Maybe the pads could just be moved a bit without being actually grown out by just repositioning the branches with the front at this angle. My reaction to the overall silhouette without the runners is that the foliage mass just looks too small. Sort of constipated. (Does that make sense?)

I would probably see things differently if I were standing in front of the real tree, of course.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That's a VERY good carving job! Great job.
Thanks, I’m happy with how it is coming along. The underside of the big jin is still a bit heavy, but it will get there.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The last photos of this tree were posted here 2.5 years ago. I have to say I’m not proud of my efforts with this tree over the last 6 years or so. I can’t help but think someone else could have coaxed a better bonsai from the original material.

However, it is still very much alive and healthy. Here are 2 possible fronts. To help reach 500k posts, share your thoughts, critiques, ideas, virts. The thread graft failed, so the left live vein from the first image is no longer supporting any foliage, and therefore it won’t be part of the finished design. The first image presents a much wider base than the second, but I think the second image shows more interesting trunk movement. What say you?
View attachment 172412 View attachment 172413
I think you should sell this tree to someone who comes up with the best idea for its future! (If we make 500k..)

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I think you should sell this tree to someone who comes up with the best idea for its future! (If we make 500k..)
I know you’re kidding, but honestly, I value this tree higher than it’s probably worth because I appreciate the provenance. Brent was one of the first guys I followed online. He was posting back in the mid 90s to the rec.arts.bonsai group when I was a lurker, not fully understanding what this internet stuff even was. I always learned a lot from him, and others like Max Braverman, Billy Rhodes, and even Jim Lewis. Because Brent is a pioneer American Bonsai Nurseryman, I feel a certain obligation to do right by this tree, since it was one of his first 2 Shimpaku junipers.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
My second thought includes a question: Are the runners I see on the right there intentionally? It seems to me that if those pads extend as far as the runners do now, the overall balance of the entire foliage mass to the interesting trunk below would be better. Maybe the pads could just be moved a bit without being actually grown out by just repositioning the branches with the front at this angle. My reaction to the overall silhouette without the runners is that the foliage mass just looks too small. Sort of constipated. (Does that make sense?)

I would probably see things differently if I were standing in front of the real tree, of course.
Yes, the runners are left intentionally for now, to keep those primary branches growing strong and producing side shoots that will be trained as secondary and tertiary branches over the next few years. As they fill out, they will replace the runners and the top will become fuller, but still retain a similar silhouette. Come by sometime!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I know you’re kidding, but honestly, I value this tree higher than it’s probably worth because I appreciate the provenance. Brent was one of the first guys I followed online. He was posting back in the mid 90s to the rec.arts.bonsai group when I was a lurker, not fully understanding what this internet stuff even was. I always learned a lot from him, and others like Max Braverman, Billy Rhodes, and even Jim Lewis. Because Brent is a pioneer American Bonsai Nurseryman, I feel a certain obligation to do right by this tree, since it was one of his first 2 Shimpaku junipers.

I totally agree! Every time I see this tree, I am glad you have it. Brent is one of my heroes for lots of reasons and has been for many years.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know if I wanna cut the right first branch....

Or EVERYTHING ELSE!

Lookin pimp for sure though.

But yeah... In about, what, 5-10 years, when we "don't know what the internet is" again.....

I could see the top coming off.

Only because cutting the first right branch off seems to not work.

What else then?

Sorce

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Brian, it's amazing what a little bending and carving will do. This was an exceptional transformation from the image you posted yesterday. I also notice that one of the live veins has been eliminated. What was the live vein connected to? Has that foliage been removed?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot

When we lost our house several years ago, I also lost many trees. One of the losses that hurt the most was the little start you sent me @Brian Van Fleet . :-( I have been too upset to tell you all this time. I'm still upset about it... :-( It was kind of symbolic of the whole time to me. Funny how trees can do that to a person.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I also notice that one of the live veins has been eliminated. What was the live vein connected to? Has that foliage been removed?
It was a straight heavy branch with a long shari, making it rather difficult to bend into the design. Here is a shot from 2016 showing the branch. I was pretty disappointed when the graft failed.
95613809-8A99-4D8F-860C-982061C5C41C.jpeg 09298699-616A-4661-85FB-44ACA917C12F.jpeg

One of the losses that hurt the most was the little start you sent me
Shoot me a PM with your new address. It was an itoigawa cutting, right? I have another for you.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really love how you have balanced the deadwood with the live vein. I imagine as the live veins swell, this will look even better! Nice work!

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Late spring update. I’m happy with the growth, and coming to terms with the one-sided live vein. Repotting next year into the correct angle, extending the first right branch, and increasing the foliage density will advance this quite a bit.
DE8738BC-AF8F-4D83-BD6E-9DB4754EA6B5.jpeg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Late spring update. I’m happy with the growth, and coming to terms with the one-sided live vein. Repotting next year into the correct angle, extending the first right branch, and increasing the foliage density will advance this quite a bit.

Nice progression and Thank You for sharing. Even turning slightly to the left could pretty much distribute more evenly what you see in regards to the live vein. Great to see though and a good background too :)

Grimmy

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice progression and Thank You for sharing. Even turning slightly to the left could pretty much distribute more evenly what you see in regards to the live vein. Great to see though and a good background too :)

Grimmy
Thanks Grimmy. The front is about at the middle of the front left foot.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Top Bottom