SHISHIGASHIRA GROUP PLANTING

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice composition. Interesting technique with wrapping the wire. I was looking for the tutorial but to no avail. In case you can point me to where I can find it I would be very grateful. Thanks
@MACH5 I tried looking for a free YouTube video from Mirai and couldn't find one. I even searched through the very few deciduous tree videos just in case there was one that had some but had no luck.

Some people have used floral tape as well, its not easy to find the 1" wide one (at least on Amazon), but that size would be ideal. I still think that the paper towel gives you more protection.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice composition. Interesting technique with wrapping the wire. I was looking for the tutorial but to no avail. In case you can point me to where I can find it I would be very grateful. Thanks

Maros, I was not sure if there was some sort of tutorial on YouTube. Apparently there isn't. Perhaps the only source at the moment might be found in one of Mirai's live streams.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5 I tried looking for a free YouTube video from Mirai and couldn't find one. I even searched through the very few deciduous tree videos just in case there was one that had some but had no luck.

Some people have used floral tape as well, its not easy to find the 1" wide one (at least on Amazon), but that size would be ideal. I still think that the paper towel gives you more protection.

I know Ryan shows the technique in at least one or more deciduous live streams. I still use floral tape depending on the situation. For those branches where I must apply quite a bit of pressure as they are bent the paper wrapping does offer quite a bit more cushion.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I know Ryan shows the technique in at least one or more deciduous live streams. I still use floral tape depending on the situation. For those branches where I must apply quite a bit of pressure as they are bent the paper wrapping does offer quite a bit more cushion.
I have indeed seen this video on the Mirai YouTube channel but I’ll be darned if I can remember which video it was.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Also the first Japanese flowering quince video, he uses paper wrapped copper and goes quite in depth on how to wrap the paper.
I think in the first styling of the large triple trunk Telperion grown JM too but I can’t be sure, I cancelled my membership recently so can’t check

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I wonder how she does it at the end of the wire so that the strip does not unwind.. The video doesn't show it unfortunately.
I think she shoves it into the soil as is, but a piece of tape would do the job.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Slowly but progressing. A game of patience with shishigashira as they don't bring much in terms of freely ramifying for you. Gotta work at it! I may be adding another smaller tree in the foreground in the spring. Not sure yet about the idea.

Rewired once again and here is how is looking today. Almost two years after it was put together.

IMG_4884 copy.jpg

IMG_4894 copy.jpg

IMG_4892 copy.jpg

IMG_4897 copy.jpg

IMG_4896 copy.jpg

Arbol

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just heard you speak on the Little Things for Bonsai People podcast about Japanese Maples this morning. Log on and what pops up but this post. Beautiful creation and very insightful podcast episode so thank you!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just heard you speak on the Little Things for Bonsai People podcast about Japanese Maples this morning. Log on and what pops up but this post. Beautiful creation and very insightful podcast episode so thank you!

Hey man thanks! 🙏

Reactions: GGB

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sergio, I think another tree there kills the interesting negative space. I like the sparseness on that side of planting. Plus it looks like it would give you an even number of trees which I know isn't particularly favorable.

Why don't you just save that extra tree for me and I'll pick up next time I'm passing by your area. Lol.

Yep. No ulterior motives here. Not at all.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Sergio. Nice work as always. I agree with Orion, I don't see the necessity to place the tree there. But you can play with it and see how it works.

Going to listen to the podcast 👌
Cheers

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Good Morning Sergio, you have definitely created a beautiful and interesting composition from a very boring group of trees! I love the elegant movement of the composition as a whole as well as the natural curvature of each individual tree. I do tend to agree with the previous comments concerning your possible addition, I think the added tree would help improve overall scale possibly but you lose a lot of value in occupying that negative space in my opinion (the composition appears very naturally sparse now).

As always tough, your work is inspirational and absolutely beautiful. Thanks!

Top Bottom