SHISHIGASHIRA GROUP PLANTING

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sergio, I think another tree there kills the interesting negative space. I like the sparseness on that side of planting. Plus it looks like it would give you an even number of trees which I know isn't particularly favorable.

Why don't you just save that extra tree for me and I'll pick up next time I'm passing by your area. Lol.

Yep. No ulterior motives here. Not at all.

Thank you! I am less worried about the even number of trees since the eye after a certain point cannot discern between even and odd numbers. But I agree about sacrificing the negative area by adding the tree in. I have gone back and forth with the idea. Some days I like it and some not so much! :rolleyes:

And no I did not see any biased intent in your post!🤣

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Sergio. Nice work as always. I agree with Orion, I don't see the necessity to place the tree there. But you can play with it and see how it works.

Going to listen to the podcast 👌
Cheers

Thanks Maros! It may take a whole different aspect after it's taken out of the pot? The jury still out!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good Morning Sergio, you have definitely created a beautiful and interesting composition from a very boring group of trees! I love the elegant movement of the composition as a whole as well as the natural curvature of each individual tree. I do tend to agree with the previous comments concerning your possible addition, I think the added tree would help improve overall scale possibly but you lose a lot of value in occupying that negative space in my opinion (the composition appears very naturally sparse now).

As always tough, your work is inspirational and absolutely beautiful. Thanks!

Thank you! Seems like overall not the best idea? Part of the initial concept was to add larger empty spaces as you pointed out. I will play with it in the spring as see.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's hard for us in a 2d pic with the terra cotta pot. But knowing your work, if you think it will look good I have absolute confidence that it will.

In the original photo I can see where a small tree for added depth and interest could look very good in that area.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's hard for us in a 2d pic with the terra cotta pot. But knowing your work, if you think it will look good I have absolute confidence that it will.

In the original photo I can see where a small tree for added depth and interest could look very good in that area.

Thanks Dan! Good to see you posting here again. The intent is to place the small tree in front. I felt this added an extra sense of depth and yes, more complexity to the composition. The downside is closing in on those nice negative areas. I have to play with it and see. Will get a better idea once it's out of the terracotta pot. If I do end up incorporating it, I think I will place it much closer to the third tree from the left. Right now is too far to the right but that's all I could manage.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
As mentioned in a previous post, I was entertaining the idea of adding another small tree in the foreground. After looking at it I decided it was not a good idea since it seemed to clutter the composition unnecessarily. So left it as originally conceived.

The fresh new leaves are not only beautiful but they look very similar to Sharp's Pygmy spring leaves.

As if by magic, masses of leaves appear almost out of nowhere.

IMG_4884 copy.jpg

IMG_5594 copy.jpg

IMG_5597 copy.jpg

IMG_5599 copy.jpg

Making its way back into the garden once again.

IMG_5602 copy.jpg

IMG_5607 copy.jpg

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love it Sergio!! Such a beautiful composition.

Shishigarhira is special, especially in spring. Some maple lovers don't seem to like it, but I don't think they have any.. lol. I didn't really understand the appeal until I got one. Now I have several.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Love it Sergio!! Such a beautiful composition.

Shishigarhira is special, especially in spring. Some maple lovers don't seem to like it, but I don't think they have any.. lol. I didn't really understand the appeal until I got one. Now I have several.

Thanks Dan! I love this cultivar as well. My only regret with Shishigashira is that they are VERY slow to develop. I think probably more than twice as long as regular palmatum. That's why any older specimen that's even mildly ramified are very expensive and rare!

One the best ones in the US is of course Bill's Shishi. Andrew Robson also has a beautiful specimen that's well developed. Not sure if that one was imported or developed in the US.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
@MACH5 I love the way this really captures the feel of spring! The way all the leaves in the forest present themselves horizontally with that light green color just nails at for me. I was wondering if you know if there is a way to encourage budding on lower nodes on Shishigashira? I have a nursery stock grafted plant that I plan to air layer at some point. Above the graft there are three main trunks that come out and there are many nodes on each trunk. The tree was obviously not under the best care at the some point in its previous life as indicated by the signs of many dropped branches. It’s now quite healthy but all of the branching is at the ends of the trunks. I’d like to be able to encourage some branching down low but not quite sure how. Any advice?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I love this cultivar as well. My only regret with Shishigashira is that they are VERY slow to develop. I think probably more than twice as long as regular palmatum. That's why any older specimen that's even mildly ramified are very expensive and rare!
I think this is a course and a blessing at the same time. It will be easier to maintain once you get it where you want it to be. Unlike fast growing trees that can get out of shape if you blink for too long. With my limited time, this would be a good thing... maybe once I have my new home completed I should be able to have a location where I can grow JMs without much fear of burning in the summer. Then I will definitely get a shishi.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5 I love the way this really captures the feel of spring! The way all the leaves in the forest present themselves horizontally with that light green color just nails at for me. I was wondering if you know if there is a way to encourage budding on lower nodes on Shishigashira? I have a nursery stock grafted plant that I plan to air layer at some point. Above the graft there are three main trunks that come out and there are many nodes on each trunk. The tree was obviously not under the best care at the some point in its previous life as indicated by the signs of many dropped branches. It’s now quite healthy but all of the branching is at the ends of the trunks. I’d like to be able to encourage some branching down low but not quite sure how. Any advice?

A hard pruning as in most species will likely encourage back budding all over. But do it conservatively. Try a couple of branches first and see how it responds. It is not always that you will get it. Shishis are odd trees. They are not nearly as predictable as other Japanese maple cultivars. However, the effort is well worth it. Also, cut all the flowers as you see them in spring (yeah I know!). You want the tree to direct its efforts towards vegetative growth rather than in fruit/seed.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think this is a course and a blessing at the same time. It will be easier to maintain once you get it where you want it to be. Unlike fast growing trees that can get out of shape if you blink for too long. With my limited time, this would be a good thing... maybe once I have my new home completed I should be able to have a location where I can grow JMs without much fear of burning in the summer. Then I will definitely get a shishi.

True dat! I hear ya!

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
A hard pruning as in most species will likely encourage back budding all over. But do it conservatively. Try a couple of branches first and see how it responds. It is not always that you will get it. Shishis are odd trees. They are not nearly as predictable as other Japanese maple cultivars. However, the effort is well worth it. Also, cut all the flowers as you see them in spring (yeah I know!). You want the tree to direct its efforts towards vegetative growth rather than in fruit/seed.
Thanks a ton, I appreciate your insight!

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
This planting is so fun. Out of all the Bonsai I've seen, this is the only one that makes me feel like I'm leaning left. So strange/cool. Great work as always!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks Dan! I love this cultivar as well. My only regret with Shishigashira is that they are VERY slow to develop. I think probably more than twice as long as regular palmatum. That's why any older specimen that's even mildly ramified are very expensive and rare!

One the best ones in the US is of course Bill's Shishi. Andrew Robson also has a beautiful specimen that's well developed. Not sure if that one was imported or developed in the US.

What about Matt Ouwinga? Not sure if I’ve seen Bill’s or Andrew’s, but Matt’s at the Nationals was intense!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What about Matt Ouwinga? Not sure if I’ve seen Bill’s or Andrew’s, but Matt’s at the Nationals was intense!

Yes, of course. Forgot about that one.

This is Bill's. A well known tree. Even more remarkable is that he literally developed this tree from a stick in a pot!

Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 12.56.18 PM.png

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@MACH5
Have you ever tried to air layer a Shishigashira or know how well they do?

I have one Id love to air layer it

Top Bottom