Should I give up on my Japanese Quince? It is sick, help needed.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congrats to @Sno for actually looking at the pictures!

That took too long!

I don't think you should give up either. Ever!

I stopped killing the large red predator mites a while back, and I haven't had a mite problem since.

I am going to share another small story on my Elm later that I'll tag you in, it's relevant. Has to do with the other small things that "invite" problems like this. It is so subtle. I will say, this new rule of mine, "Don't Remove any growth until it is ruining your design", will also help.

Sorce

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Congrats to @Sno for actually looking at the pictures!

Thanks @Sno , thanks @Carol 83 !

I am going to share another small story on my Elm later that I'll tag you in, it's relevant. Has to do with the other small things that "invite" problems like this. It is so subtle. I will say, this new rule of mine, "Don't Remove any growth until it is ruining your design", will also help.

Please do so, I am always learning from you, @sorce !
And having good laughs most of the time. I like it.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Well, I've got good news; the pepper recipe works fine. No signs of mites and new growth all over. Dead and old leaves fell down.
I'd like to thank all of you that helped and encouraged me to keep trying.
Take a look!
The Quince today, it was repotted yesterday:
20200913_171825.jpg

The new leaves, no mites at all !
20200913_171857.jpg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I gave up on one last year. I know if I would’ve kept trying it probably would have held on.
Happy Birthday and congratulations on your new growth!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Blend well in a mixer with ¼ gallon of alcohol vinegar
Very glad this worked for you but what is alcohol vinegar? I have used both alcohol and vinegar but I don't know how you mean this.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Very glad this worked for you but what is alcohol vinegar? I have used both alcohol and vinegar but I don't know how you mean this.
Alcohol vinegar has a stronger flavor and is also used to replace cleaning products. Made from sugar cane and with a large amount of alcohol - as the name implies - this type of vinegar has two striking differences in relation to the others: the strongest flavor and the lowest price.
Commonly sold in Brazil.
20201005_091851.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alcohol vinegar has a stronger flavor and is also used to replace cleaning products. Made from sugar cane and with a large amount of alcohol - as the name implies - this type of vinegar has two striking differences in relation to the others: the strongest flavor and the lowest price.
Commonly sold in Brazil.
View attachment 333091
OK thanks. I understand the confusion now. I have used alcohol and vinegar for different things. Here, alcohol is alcohol and vinegar is vinegar. Alcohol vinegar is vinegar produced from ethanol alcohol and contains little if any alcohol. We use vinegar as a household cleaning product and in the garden to kill weeds.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
UPDATE:
Good news!
I guess my pepper recipe is working alright.
Even if the remaining leaves are sad and ugly looking, there's no signal of mites whatsoever, and...
Flowers!
New growth!

View attachment 326755

View attachment 326756
YAAY!!,!🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳 I KNEW you’d beat it! I guess that salsa was too hot even for the hot and spicy Latino spider mites. So happy it worked!

Top Bottom