Since I'm ruining this site all by myself...

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the 5th tree you posted, the twin trunk juniper. I guess I don't think that it's that run-of-the-mill.

Lee

Seedling
Reaction score
Some of the best material i've seen posted by a American,if you dont want any of these dont bother doing bonsai

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A few more for your enjoyment, and the third I'm lusting after, just as soon as I get my check.......:rolleyes:

keep it green,
Harry

Number three reminds me a bit of the "Wild Shimpaku" I posted a few weeks back - glad to see the jins haven't been shortened into a "sharpened pencil" style on this one, but they do seem far too heavy and in need of some gracefulness - then again, a reason to get out the die grinder is always worth paying for!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some of the best material i've seen posted by a American,if you dont want any of these dont bother doing bonsai

Wow. Really? Guess I'll just quit then - I've seen enough similarly styled Shimpaku for one life time. :)

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They are nice Harry and I agree with Walter that if I had my choice the first one would be it. Granted I would be happy to work on any of that material. Not sure I would spend big bucks on most of them tho.... they are kinda boring... The Yew looked exciting and the chance to spend a few hours carving it would be awesome.

That last batch of 3 the last one is great but needs some serious work on the deadwood... even more so than Will suggested (our tastes differ.. i prefer thinner more delicate shapes on junipers)

and P.S. Bonsai world.... please stop with the grossly thick application of lime sulfur... it doesn't even remotely look natural

Last edited:

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would love to have at least three of them.

The first two are first class material. As well as the yew that you've posted. These trees have nothing in terms of a clear branch structure and have no design whatsoever, that would point to the final look. So they are ideal for a bonsai artist who doesn't want to spend the first 20 years just growing similar material. I would estimate that they would need at least 5 years of serious work before they can be considered worthy of exhibiting them.

The other ones you posted already have a final design in mind, so they are less exciting for someone interested in creating his own. Except that there is always the possibility of a complete re-design, which makes EVERY bonsai potentially interesting to work with.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Perhaps this might more to your liking.

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• DSC07386.JPG
    DSC07386.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC07389.jpg
    DSC07389.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 39

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Or this one.....

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• DSC07465.jpg
    DSC07465.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC07467.jpg
    DSC07467.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 25

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Something more exotic.....

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• DSC07786.jpg
    DSC07786.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
A couple of Azaleas, can't grow them here, too much trouble......

Does this quinch your thirst for bonsai pictures, more where these came from.

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• DSC07589.jpg
    DSC07589.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC07598.jpg
    DSC07598.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 35

bonsaimeister

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not a single "D" tree? What a shame. Great pics, let's see some more!

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
every one IMO has serious faults that were not dealt with when they were supposed to be dealt with

I might agree with you here. Many of these trees might be considered 'exports' rather than 'imports', if you get my drift. Nevertheless, I would love to have any one of them, but I would not pay big bucks for any based on these pics. I would rather go talk to Jason or something, but I am not Harry.

Many of the slender junipers shown have very boring live veins, which really bugs me when the rest of the tree is so dynamic.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I might agree with you here. Many of these trees might be considered 'exports' rather than 'imports', if you get my drift. Nevertheless, I would love to have any one of them, but I would not pay big bucks for any based on these pics. I would rather go talk to Jason or something, but I am not Harry.

Many of the slender junipers shown have very boring live veins, which really bugs me when the rest of the tree is so dynamic.

VG observation, I thought along those lines but first thing in the am, when the coffee hadn't kicked in yet... but couldn't formulate my thoughts.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score

Jason is a good guy to deal with, spend your money at home.....

keep it green,
Harry

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Would love to, this is about the only time i will say that it sucks to be Canadian.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
I've seen a few posters refer to " big bucks " for these trees. I doubt any of them is under four figures but out of curiosity.....what is " big bucks " ?

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...what is " big bucks " ?

Good question!!

Depending on one's income, Big Bucks can be found between $50 and .......a few $1000s. So, first look at the name of the poster, than find a copy of the person's income tax return for last year, and then you will know what he means by Bick Bucks.

Mortalis

Yamadori
Reaction score

Bonsai can be very personal. Some of us prefer different stock. Saying if you don't want any of those dont bother doing bonsai is like saying if you dont like peperoni don't eat pizza. Everyone likes what they like. I personally love Tropical bonsai. If everyone did it the same way there would be no room for new things.

Top Bottom