Species Study - Acer Platenoides/Acer Rubrum

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From DIr s. Book look carefully at the buds don’t quit follow you plataniods is Norway maple leaves of sugar are slightly smaller Notice also the edge of the leaf Norway is slightly serated sugar is not

Attachments

• 02A9A219-9A52-4C81-B370-8C70683DC450.jpeg
    02A9A219-9A52-4C81-B370-8C70683DC450.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 041B7B24-6E95-4D5D-B622-99333DB7B4A8.jpeg
    041B7B24-6E95-4D5D-B622-99333DB7B4A8.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 12
  • F6D2E26C-D84C-43A4-AB7B-54A8303743D0.jpeg
    F6D2E26C-D84C-43A4-AB7B-54A8303743D0.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 11
  • 1E571F47-9BFC-4F22-8B74-03CA4147C9F0.jpeg
    1E571F47-9BFC-4F22-8B74-03CA4147C9F0.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 10

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is black maple I may have a seed source . Fairly rare and getting rarer in pure form . It is sugar maple just different enough to deserve its own name . The leaves drop at the sides and normally does not turn red in fall but yellow . The nature bark gets black hence it’s name sugar gets grey bark Black is prized for its highest sugar content and best source of the strongest grade of maple syrup . Very hard to find even here in sugar country

Attachments

• B4480214-A2A9-417C-B39A-6A5F6696F16E.jpeg
    B4480214-A2A9-417C-B39A-6A5F6696F16E.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 20

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My fault. I thought that Platanoides was Sycamore Maple... i have Norway Maple, then. I can take close ups of buds tonorrow am.

Id love some black maple seeds /seedlings if youre handing them out.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
NP don’t apologize we’re all in the same Lunny bin . All kinds of crazy laws and restrictions to ship live trees across the border both ways . Seeds are no problem just drop in mail . Very small amount of trees are restricted . Maple NP . If my source works out I’ll gladly share seeds when there nature in the fall . ( source is my maple syrup supplier from the sounds of it his new sugar bush he just purchased is black maple I’ll check it out this summer he already told me I can have seeds

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sycamore also looks similar buds I should have gave you pic from the book also I’ll do that tonight . I think the main difference is leaves but I’m not familiar with sycamore But it’s definitely not sugar

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
platinoides next door good growth study tree . When I moved here 17 years ago was planted the year before nursery stock . 5 feet tall 3 inch trunk . Neighbor. Was not happy when I told him it was not sugar maple as he was told when he purchased it . Anyway tree is about 30 feet high and 18 inches across the trunk . Sorry pic won’t load

Attachments

• 2345F1EE-EFBF-4EF5-A038-8BE2EEFBC389.jpeg
    2345F1EE-EFBF-4EF5-A038-8BE2EEFBC389.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 22

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
platinoides next door good growth study tree . When I moved here 17 years ago was planted the year before nursery stock . 5 feet tall 3 inch trunk . Neighbor. Was not happy when I told him it was not sugar maple as he was told when he purchased it . Anyway tree is about 30 feet high and 18 inches across the trunk . Sorry pic won’t load
Looks like tight internodes!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s a nice tree large your right it has reasonable internodes . Interesting to watch grow was slow for first 5 years then really took off . It’s a normal green leaf version . Don’t get me wrong there nice trees . But as far as I’m concerned 2 trees are over used . In landscape here they are the purple leaf version of Plat and the blue version of Alberta spruce I like colour as much as the next . But both normally are used where they draw attention to them and over power everything around them . That and in my world I happen to think trees are meant to be green . 😂😂😂

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I think the bidets mistake people make . Is grow native maples like Japanese maple . Which is a understory tree . All our maples are mainly from the north . Shirt growing season and are proper forest trees . Once you have decent root system all the sun they will take . If they have roots and moisture you won’t hurt them . Put those big solar panels to work
That may be true in all USDA north of zone 8. I know for a fact that in zone 9, Acer rubrum will burn if left to full sun down here. It can't take the sun and the heat combination. I have two and they are actually placed in my back porch and only get the morning sun (6:30 am to 11:00 am). They thrive and grow well in this condition. I've tried to move them to area with more sunlight multiple times and they faltered each time I tried.

Last edited:

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That may be true in all USDA north of zone 8. I know for a fact that in zone 9, Acer rubrum will burn if left to full sun down here. It can't take the sun and the heat combination. I have two and they are actually placed in my back porch and only get the morning sun (6:30 am to 11:00 am). They thrive and grow well in this condition. I've tried to move them to area with more sunlight multiple times and they faltered each time I tried.
I have not looked it up I’m at work . But I would think that zone 8 would be the southern limit of rubrum So I’m shire your correct . There may be more heat tolerant strains in the south. But yes I was referring to sun up north . That was one of my points full sun where you are is considerable different than full sun where we are up north so is length of growing season buds have not even opened up here

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
For Acer rubrum, chopping the trunk 2 weeks after the leaves opened was painless. There was no sap flowing and new buds immediately showed for me. I think they were already there under the bark. Just about 2 days after I chopped, the new buds came out.

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent thread here. Love my maples. Just another side project, but anyone have acer spicatum around. I've been playing with one for a couple years. It had lots of damage up top( left unprotected all winter), . Rabbit trunk chopped it for me. Was going to anyway, it had a weird inverse dual trunk too high. Just wondering if anyone is studying a spicatum

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Excellent thread here. Love my maples. Just another side project, but anyone have acer spicatum around. I've been playing with one for a couple years. It had lots of damage up top( left unprotected all winter), . Rabbit trunk chopped it for me. Was going to anyway, it had a weird inverse dual trunk too high. Just wondering if anyone is studying a spicatum
I like spicatums.. but never had the pleasure of working with one.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in the heart of its range . But find it only rarely in the wild . I have a striped maple acer Pennsylvanian. At my cottage fairly rare here . A idiot relative of my wife’s trunk chopped it thinking it was a weed and thought he was helping clean up 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Luckily it is growing back but it grows slowly and has huge leaves I believe spicatun and it are related show us a pic of yours is it collected

Top Bottom