Steve's Mugo

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I took some pictures of Steve's Mugo at our last club meeting so we could get a better look at it.

Attachments

• IMG_0608_small.jpg
    IMG_0608_small.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0609_small.jpg
    IMG_0609_small.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0610_small.jpg
    IMG_0610_small.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0611_small.jpg
    IMG_0611_small.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0612_small.jpg
    IMG_0612_small.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 17

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Possible options

Attachments

• IMG_0613_small.jpg
    IMG_0613_small.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0614_small.jpg
    IMG_0614_small.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 26

steve27

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
Thanks for posting Sandy,

Does anyone have any advise to what direction I should go with this Mugo.
I had it since last July,its doing well. havent done anything with it yet.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for posting Sandy,

Does anyone have any advise to what direction I should go with this Mugo.
I had it since last July,its doing well. havent done anything with it yet.

It depends on whether you want to make a bonsai about the size this tree is now or do you want to develop it into a larger or even a smaller tree. Either way you need to start removeing some of the needles to let the light into the interior of the tree.

Remove all of the downward facing needles and all of the upward facing needles. Cut them do not pull them out you will destroy buds you may need later is you do that. The ends of your branches should look like bow ties if you view them from straight on like sticking them in your eye. The idea is to encourage an abundance of new buds that will allow you the option of producing branches that are not as thick as the trunk as they are now.

This is one of the problems with some Mugos. Often when they are young they produce branching that is the same size as the trunk and it becomes difficult to produce a tree with decent proportions. It therefore becomes necessary to force the production of branches from dormant or latent buds which will be substantially smaller. This is also the source of knuckle formations when these supper vigorous buds are allowed to develop unhindered. Most bud removal should be done near the middle of July. Remember Mugos are not JBP and seldom push a second flush of growth, though it might happen sporadically it is not predictable or dependable. My most vigorous Mugo pushed out a second flush of growth once in forty some years of bonsai culture with it. However using this method they will produce tons of new buds that will develop into candles next spring.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Vance, Can I remove the needles now?

Yes you can.

Vance, the top of the tree has a bunch of candles/branches all coming out at the same place. Should he think about removing all but one or two at some point?

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes you can.

Vance, the top of the tree has a bunch of candles/branches all coming out at the same place. Should he think about removing all but one or two at some point?

That as well but that has to be a bit more thought out.

Top Bottom