Stick with round pot or not?

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
I’m looking to repot this tree here soon. Any opinions on what shape pot to go with? Should I stick to round, or go with something else?

Attachments

• 27839FE6-3B26-4034-BB9E-2A02DBCCCC67.jpeg
    27839FE6-3B26-4034-BB9E-2A02DBCCCC67.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 171

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I hate to get wanky, but in a round pot the tree is supposed to be centered. If you can't center it, then the tree can be off center in an oval pot if and only if the center of mass is centered in the pot. Your tree has the trunk central to the canopy making the trunk and center of mass both the same, so it can be central in any pot: oval, oblong, lotus, hex, square with soft edges, or a larger round.

Now, that's my Parroting of the Anal Rules of Bonsai, so I'd bet that there may be some other interpolations forthcoming. Squaaaak!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’d go with a dark glazed oval, slightly larger than the current pot. It is underpotted now; particularly, either planted high or in a too-shallow pot.
418674AC-198C-48C7-8174-13DCB0C80987.png
60495167-2100-4340-BBAA-CC7DD06F2AFE.png
I’d also consider rotating the front a little counter-clockwise or tilting it forward a bit, because it looks like it’s falling away from the viewer.

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
I hate to get wanky, but in a round pot the tree is supposed to be centered. If you can't center it, then the tree can be off center in an oval pot if and only if the center of mass is centered in the pot. Your tree has the trunk central to the canopy making the trunk and center of mass both the same, so it can be central in any pot: oval, oblong, lotus, hex, square with soft edges, or a larger round.

Now, that's my Parroting of the Anal Rules of Bonsai, so I'd bet that there may be some other interpolations forthcoming. Squaaaak!
Great advice… thanks!

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
I’d go with a dark glazed oval, slightly larger than the current pot. It is underpotted now; particularly, either planted high or in a too-shallow pot.
View attachment 379996
View attachment 379997
I’d also consider rotating the front a little counter-clockwise or tilting it forward a bit, because it looks like it’s falling away from the viewer.
Agree on the slight tilt/turn, thanks!

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
In an oval or rectangle pot, the tree would normally NOT be centred. It would be placed a little off centre, depending on the movement of the tree, whether to the left or right. For example, if the tree moves to the left - whether defined by branching, mass, or trunk direction - you would place it slightly to the right of centre. Your tree has a fairly strong leftward movement (though there is some conflict at the top; you could develop the weight of the canopy more the the left to clarify the movement).

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I Really love round pots, but not with this tree. I am in accordance with others here that an oval pot is the way to go.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think that you’ll see a better end result in an oval shaped pot. An oval without distinct anchoring feet.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In an oval or rectangle pot, the tree would normally NOT be centred. It would be placed a little off centre, depending on the movement of the tree, whether to the left or right. For example, if the tree moves to the left - whether defined by branching, mass, or trunk direction - you would place it slightly to the right of centre. Your tree has a fairly strong leftward movement (though there is some conflict at the top; you could develop the weight of the canopy more the the left to clarify the movement).
The canopy should be centered over the pot, which is to say that the pot should be about as wide as the pot with only modest overhang. The OP tree is equilateral which forces it to be centered in an oval pot. If you change the canopy balance, it changes everything.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The canopy should be centered over the pot, which is to say that the pot should be about as wide as the pot with only modest overhang. The OP tree is equilateral which forces it to be centered in an oval pot. If you change the canopy balance, it changes everything.
I said that wrong. It should say, "...the canopy should be about as wide as the pot..."

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’m looking to repot this tree here soon. Any opinions on what shape pot to go with? Should I stick to round, or go with something else?
I would focus on improving the design first. Then, decide on the most appropriate shape and size of pot.
I would also as others have mentioned focus on either reducing the depth of the root ball or acquiring a deeper pot. The base of the nebari should rest slightly below the lip or rim of the pot.The depression in the centre of the apex creates a uniform left and ride side essentially breaking the unity of design. The width of the lower branches appear out of proportion for the height and shape of the tree. These are items I would look to adjust or correct first.
With a re design I suspect the round shape without feet would be a better choice than the oval. If it stays as it is, an oval shape may improve the overall effect.
I understand this portion of the advice was unsolicited, but I think the tree has more potential than currently displayed. That is a positive, right! And besides it is simply one opinion.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The tree canopy is moderately too dense. That makes it very, very hard to pick & choose individual leaves to remove to reduce crowding. When I have a tree grown that well I have to denude it in June and then pick & choose when looking at bare stems. That makes it very, very easy to choose, and the leaves are reduced, too.

I respectfully disagree that the canopy is too wide vis-a-vis the height, it is merely a choice and I like it as wide as it is. I resist "conventional" whenever I can, which is not as often as I like. "Conventional" trees are never remarkable or as "dramatic", which I strive to make, and rarely accomplish. The tree here as "too wide" is more fairy tale-like than it would be in conventional width verses height.

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A very simple thinning will reveal the tress nature as well.

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
I Really love round pots, but not with this tree. I am in accordance with others here that an oval pot is the way to go.
Starting to see it myself… thanks!

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
Great point! Think I can make it work.

Top Bottom