Sun after shimpaku repot

NeyensNeuro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Hi folks,

I repotted my first shimpaku the other day! I'd had it for a year in the original (small) nursery pot, and I knew that it was time for a repot. The roots had wrapped around the container.

My question is about the amount of sunlight that is appropriate for shimpaku. I did minimal root pruning and mostly splayed them out flatter after gently loosening the top roots, and 3-4 small cuts to loosen the bottom of the root ball. The tips are all vibrant green, with some buds opening, and I barely see any yellow. The soil is a mix of lava rock (33%), pumice (33%), pine bark compost (10%) and the original soil (23%).

Is it okay for this tree to receive a couple hours of direct sunlight indoors? (It's warmer indoors and windy outside)

Attachments

• 20230422_160518.jpg
    20230422_160518.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230422_160526.jpg
    20230422_160526.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230422_160543.jpg
    20230422_160543.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 32

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Outside
Sun
No indoors EVER (except possible frost overnight)
Protect from high winds outside , if it was tied correctly in pot , that will prevent it from jostling around in there.
Water as needed
Follow these and you will be fine.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hi folks,

I repotted my first shimpaku the other day! I'd had it for a year in the original (small) nursery pot, and I knew that it was time for a repot. The roots had wrapped around the container.

My question is about the amount of sunlight that is appropriate for shimpaku. I did minimal root pruning and mostly splayed them out flatter after gently loosening the top roots, and 3-4 small cuts to loosen the bottom of the root ball. The tips are all vibrant green, with some buds opening, and I barely see any yellow. The soil is a mix of lava rock (33%), pumice (33%), pine bark compost (10%) and the original soil (23%).

Is it okay for this tree to receive a couple hours of direct sunlight indoors? (It's warmer indoors and windy outside)
Junipers should be outdoors at all times.
Junipers love sun.
After repotting, I usually leave it in dappled sun for two weeks; after that, full sun.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You have not removed appreciable amounts of root. The tree can go right back where it was, probably in full sun.
If repotting involves 50% root reduction there will be some justification for an adjustment period but with minimal root removal not necessary.

Top Bottom