Sun/shade requirements of Acers

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello,

I'd like to draw upon the experience of those who have handled Acers for a while, or more particularly, Acer Palmatum.
My Acer P has just got itself a bit of leaf scorch, not a lot and only affected a few little areas so I'm looking to try and keep it in the shade more. So this lead to finding out what the hell "partial shade" means.. Because it could be a few things. Also, with your experience of them, what kind of amounts of time in the sun do you like for your Acers or what do they respond well to?

I'm going to look at simply moving mine to more of a side of the garden (we have tall fences) so that it gets its hours of sun but then gets the shade as the sun passes over the fences. So that way it is in partial sun. Up till now I've had it in the middle of the garden, getting as much sun as possible (I'm in England, we don't get much, gotta take advantage when we can!).

And if you feel like it, dispel my illusion on misting... I've never read it's a bad thing but on drier days I've simply sprayed a very light mist of water on to the leaves of my maple and elm, cos... Why not, essentially. Bad, good?

See what you guys think, hope this wasn't too much waffle to read!

Couple of pics. Hell if it's not leaf scorch, feel free to correct me. First time I've seen it, just did research.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leaves look a little pale. Are you fertilizing? How is your drainage? Make sure it's not sitting in water all day. Some maples handle sun better than others. Thinking it might be a watering issue.
I don't mist, and never really saw a need to. What do you think it accomplishes?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes, leaf scorch and very common. It happens from a variety of reasons. Wind, sunlight, under watering, fungus, etc. Not to worry. Try and place your maple in bright shade. Also, a set up where you have a shade cloth or arbor (like I do) provides ideal conditions for these trees since they get dappled sunlight.

Water on the leaves during the day will not cause them to scorch. That is simply a myth that has been around for decades. I water my maples under sunlight and have never affected the leaves in any way.

As Lance mentioned, I have found no real benefit to misting my maples, although when I do water, I do it from top to bottom.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It was recently bought from Kaizen, I've had it about a month. It's drainage always seems to be good, judging by the water flowing out as its watered. The fertising I can say has been lacking recently, I think I've oddly been almost scared to do it or start it. I did actually just use some liquid fertiliser on it, about 10 mins before posting this thread. I plan to do that every 2 weeks.
It's my second tree I've had, quite the beginner and by far larger than my first. So it's soil is also new to me and I'm afraid perhaps I'm not recognising when it's needed watering or not. We just had very very heavy down pour of rain last 2 days then hot sun today, watered and fertilised today.
Do you think it's not leaf scorched then and it's all water related or just the pale colour, water related?

For some reason I thought misting would be a good way to hydrate the plant, in dry sunny days. Maybe that's absurd, seemed to make sense to me!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is this any particular cultivar? I have 'Orange Dream'. I let it get a little scorched. Anyways, pushed to its limit under the sun right before scorching, the leaves will get pale in color.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, leaf scorch and very common. It happens from a variety of reasons. Wind, sunlight, under watering, fungus, etc. Not to worry. Try and place your maple in bright shade. Also, a set up where you have a shade cloth or arbor (like I do) provides ideal conditions for these trees since they get dappled sunlight.

Water on the leaves during the day will not cause them to scorch. That is simply a myth that has been around for decades. I water my maples under sunlight and have never affected the leaves in any way.

As Lance mentioned, I have found no real benefit to misting my maples, although when I do water, I do it from top to bottom.

That's good to know. I must have been typing a post on your topic when you was typing that post on here!

What's an arbor? I googled that but it wasn't giving me anything productive.. From context I can take it it's something to produce dappled sun light, as opposed to full and direct.

Top to bottom, as in you water with a rose type fitment so it pours down the leaves and through to the soil also?
I've always only watered soil directly, wonder if there's an advantage or disadvantage..
Good info thank you :)

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wind is sneaky fella', if your soil is a bit on the dry side and it's out in strong wind, you'll get some scorch. Even if it's in the shade! I try to get my maples out as soon as possible in spring to harden the leaves. Of course when you get to this time of year in my climate, the leaves can look pretty beat-up. I'm a bit merciless, though. As much sun as I can give them, some do well, others suffer a bit. I'll have to break down at some point and put up some shade-cloth.......If my landlady will let me!!!!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is this any particular cultivar? I have 'Orange Dream'. I let it get a little scorched. Anyways, pushed to its limit under the sun right before scorching, the leaves will get pale in color.

Ah that's very interesting.. Perhaps that could explain the pale colour, as opposed to watering issues.. However Lance is certainly right, it has lacked fertiliser recently so that could well be the reason also. I'm correcting that as of today.
I'm sorry I don't know the cultivar, any way of identifying it? Thanks, interesting information :)

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wind is sneaky fella', if your soil is a bit on the dry side and it's out in strong wind, you'll get some scorch. Even if it's in the shade! I try to get my maples out as soon as possible in spring to harden the leaves. Of course when you get to this time of year in my climate, the leaves can look pretty beat-up. I'm a bit merciless, though. As much sun as I can give them, some do well, others suffer a bit. I'll have to break down at some point and put up some shade-cloth.......If my landlady will let me!!!!

Our weather has been a bit all over the place recently. Always happens in summer.. We don't get summers anymore.. We get a mix of storms, baking hot sun for a few days then overcast. I'm pretty sure London and the U.K. Are famous for their dreary weather (and maybe dreary people lol).

I think it comes down to me not being used to this soil mix, it's in the original mix from when it was bought, didn't need repotting yet. Unused to what it's dry soil looks like compared to moist or damp. It's drainage seems very good, it's from a reputable dealer whom many on here recommend also so I've trust in that. I think I'll just water even when unsure, as with well drained mixes, it's almost impossible over water, as they say...

Dont worry, I'm not as silly as I come across on here lol. At least I hope not...

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've got a couple of jap. maples here on the E- facing balcony...hell I gotta share them:).

They are all fine except 'atropurpureum'. This red leaf variety gets scorched every summer. For this season I found a new placement for it, a little bit more protected from the South behind the wall
and SFSG. You know, these maples need dappled sunlight and some air humidity... but I mist them rarely, only when I have some rain water not to leave white stains on the leaves.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've got a couple of jap. maples here on the E- facing balcony...hell I gotta share them:).

They are all fine except 'atropurpureum'. This red leaf variety gets scorched every summer. For this season I found a new placement for it, a little bit more protected from the South behind the wall
and SFSG. You know, these maples need dappled sunlight and some air humidity... but I mist them rarely, only when I have some rain water not to leave white stains on the leaves.

Feel free to share some pics :). On that rainwater note... It's an odd thing that I've been doing since I started caring for any trees (not long..) I've only ever used rain water. Never touched them with any other water. Solely relied on me collecting and bottling rain water (and running it through a fine sieve), bit of effort and it might be doing absolutely nothing for all I know but it's natural and it makes me feel slightly better for doing it lol.
I am certainly coming to learn the differences between my elm and maple. It's leaves are so much more fine and delicate, hence the scorching, I would image.
The colour changes in the maple leaves are bloody awesome... Really amazing.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Silly....no.......c'mon, I'm the screw-loose gif-man!!!!
View attachment 109162

Yes I know, I've overwhelmingly noticed lol. I couldn't get the gif to work in a post before, it really bugged me but I moved on and gave up for now.
Thanks for your info, appreciated. Do you use a liquid fertiliser or other? Any advise on frequency?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Google something funny with gif at the end. Make sure the file size isn't too large, save it to your photos. Then just "upload" that file and post. Let the floodgates loose!!!!!
I use an organic pellet feed all season. Mix in some Miracle-Grow tomato feed, fish emulsion and fish/seaweed emulsion. Weekly or bi-weekly with the liquids.....
Give yourself some time to learn your tree's growing habits before you move on to styling and such.....A vigorous tree will respond nicely to "Bonsai" techniques....a sick tree......???

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Feel free to share some pics :). On that rainwater note... It's an odd thing that I've been doing since I started caring for any trees (not long..) I've only ever used rain water. Never touched them with any other water. Solely relied on me collecting and bottling rain water (and running it through a fine sieve), bit of effort and it might be doing absolutely nothing for all I know but it's natural and it makes me feel slightly better for doing it lol.
I am certainly coming to learn the differences between my elm and maple. It's leaves are so much more fine and delicate, hence the scorching, I would image.
The colour changes in the maple leaves are bloody awesome... Really amazing.
...meant rain water for misting. Mine are not finicky talking about water for
watering. Tap water (semi hard) or "depleted" water from the tank of fish...really does not matter.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I leave mine in full sun, no leaf scorch here really. The only reason I have had leaf scorch is because it got too dry one day. So for me, it is a matter of dryness combined with too much light at the same time rather than amount of light alone.

I'm with Mach, water burning the leaves is a myth. I wet the leaves sometimes when I water too.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Google something funny with gif at the end. Make sure the file size isn't too large, save it to your photos. Then just "upload" that file and post. Let the floodgates loose!!!!!
I use an organic pellet feed all season. Mix in some Miracle-Grow tomato feed, fish emulsion and fish/seaweed emulsion. Weekly or bi-weekly with the liquids.....
Give yourself some time to learn your tree's growing habits before you move on to styling and such.....A vigorous tree will respond nicely to "Bonsai" techniques....a sick tree......???

I think the problem is the ability to save gifs.. I only use iPad or iPhone to go on the forums, and when saving gifs, they like to save it as a jpg not gif, and so it's not animated anymore.. Oh well, no big deal lol. I'll go on my PC at one time just to post a gif lol.

I think I want to invest in a pellet type fertiliser, rather than liquid. I'd prefer not having to worry about timings in order to fertilise, with the pellets or mix it'll slow release and that's it, just let it do its thing for months..
I think I'll just worry about getting through winter first, as you say, get to grips with the growing habits before jumping in to more.

I leave mine in full sun, no leaf scorch here really. The only reason I have had leaf scorch is because it got too dry one day. So for me, it is a matter of dryness combined with too much light at the same time rather than amount of light alone.

I'm with Mach, water burning the leaves is a myth. I wet the leaves sometimes when I water too.

I wonder why full sun is such a problem for others and myself then with maples. In England our sun is crap compared to most or all of the US, a hot day for us is 20-25c.
I learnt about the myth, apparently it's possible with petals of flowers but on leaves it's not. They did an experiment on the amount of energy transferable through water droplets on to the leaf and it's simply not enough energy giant to burn. However on petals due to the material of them it may be, but mostly it's an old myth.
I think I'll research in to actual advantages or benefits of water on leaves, as there may be some benefits to it,, I'd have thought it'd keep them healthier by hydrating them more...

Top Bottom