SUTHIN EASTERN WHITE CEDAR

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
lets make it a three some..o_O

Serious it is a 2nd job - every night usually have I put my daughter to bed I bring a few tree's in the living room to work on them and my wife just shakes her head as I work into the night. Though I LOVE your yard. I plan on doing something similar in my new house this spring - all small gravel like that
This sounds so familiar it's ridiculous.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Sergio,

Welcome to the world of eastern white cedar... it is a beautiful yet often scary and frustrating place :) The shari on the branches is really next level... a testament to Suthin's professionalism. I'm looking forward to seeing your work on this tree.

As a side note, I'm actually experimenting on a few trees with a different approach to managing my thuja foliage after doing a workshop with Bjorn. He thinks they should be handled exactly how he handles hinoki which is pretty aggressive pinching (I'm sure you've seen some of his Bonsai Art of Japan videos where he goes over hinoki management). This makes sense since the wild-type hinoki foliage is extremely similar to thuja occidentalis. I also successfully bud-grafted wild-type hinoki onto thuja this year, so that will be an interesting project.

I really like how Suthin manages thuja though. Looks to be mostly scissor thinning with a bit of pinching here and there. I'd be interested to hear if he gave you any tips :)

Congratulations on an amazing tree, it is in great hands!

Hello Aaron. Good to see you here again! Thank you for chiming in and sharing your expertise and experience with this species. I admire those fantastic specimens you have! I was torn between this tree and getting a maple (big surprise!) at Suthin's sale. In the end I chose this tree to add variety to my garden but also wanted to get something that was truly native to my area.

Good to hear about Bjorn's advice in tackling these trees much like hinokis. One thing I have noticed is that they do bud back nicely.... a big plus! At least this tree does.

I like how Suthin has styled this tree. You are absolutely right. The types of detail such as the shari on branches really does take this tree to the next level. They are beautifully executed! As I plan to style this tree, I'd like to bring all branches back to horizontal plane. Afterwards, let the foliage grow to create soft foliage masses that don't feel overly rigid or manicured.

Any additional tips please do share! I respect your work and knowledge particularly with Thuja.

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What a great way to honor such a tree...seeing it once more in that show. If not this year another. But I can see one saying no to it.

Thanks Darlene. I only hope to make Suthin proud. I intend to respect his vision for this tree and continue his work forward.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have no issue with pricey tree's if they warrent it, and some of them do(like this tree @MACH5 bought), but some of them are over priced, I've seen a few very developed tree's on FB auction for half the price. Heck I'd love to sell my shohin black pine for a grand :)

Yes.... but! I do think that most of the trees offered at the sale were actually priced reasonably. The quality of his trees is hard to match, thus the seemingly high prices. So for those folks that had money to burn, I'd say they made out pretty at that sale! I saw all of them and most were jaw dropping gorgeous!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yes.... but! I do think that most of the trees offered at the sale were actually priced reasonably. The quality of his trees is hard to match, thus the seemingly high prices. So for those folks that had money to burn, I'd say they made out pretty at that sale! I saw all of them and most were jaw dropping gorgeous!

True, it's why I have a hard time buying tree's online as I can't get a feel for them and how it makes me feel based on a 2d image. Makes them seem overpriced when online but in person you get a better respect of the tree.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Hi Sergio,

Welcome to the world of eastern white cedar... it is a beautiful yet often scary and frustrating place :) The shari on the branches is really next level... a testament to Suthin's professionalism. I'm looking forward to seeing your work on this tree.

As a side note, I'm actually experimenting on a few trees with a different approach to managing my thuja foliage after doing a workshop with Bjorn. He thinks they should be handled exactly how he handles hinoki which is pretty aggressive pinching (I'm sure you've seen some of his Bonsai Art of Japan videos where he goes over hinoki management). This makes sense since the wild-type hinoki foliage is extremely similar to thuja occidentalis. I also successfully bud-grafted wild-type hinoki onto thuja this year, so that will be an interesting project.

I really like how Suthin manages thuja though. Looks to be mostly scissor thinning with a bit of pinching here and there. I'd be interested to hear if he gave you any tips :)

Congratulations on an amazing tree, it is in great hands!
The Tall one does not really explain in detail anything about HC management in his Hinoki Cypress @ Bonsai 16. Bonsai art of Japan episode 4 supposedly covers HC maintenance, however, there was little meat in there. cutting off up-growing fronds, as a priortiy, is defintily applicable. I don't think what is shown is much applicable to WC.

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
One thing I really like about this tree is the subtle differences in tone between the jin and the shari. This is really paying attention to detail.

Fred I am not sure that this was intentional. I think most likely the way the wood aged? There are subtle tones on the shari that avoids a completely stark white look which I like since it makes it look more natural in person. Kathy Shaner had a lot to say about deadwood treatment at the US Shohin National. She commented again and again about how many folks overdo it with the carving of deadwood and how stark white they all appeared. She even said that she paints with different tones her sharis and jins. All to say that we need to consider making deadwood in general appear more natural in our trees.

I am learning to do more with hand tools rather than dremel. Or at least a combination of both.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The thuja recently styled as I tried to build on Suthin's previous work. The difference this time is that I took advantage of the downwards curving nature of how the fronds grow on thuja to create gentle cascade-like foliage pads. The apex was brought down to once again feature the ten-jin and frame the beautiful curving branches with their sharis and jins as they descend from the very top. The massive deadwood along the trunk was softened with foliage pads to bring more unity between the dead and live areas.

I was able to capture this photo the day after it was styled, when I noticed the tree outside with a dusting of snow.

Details

In the spring the tree will be repotted into this Yamaki container that I got in a trade with Judy. The curves I think complement very well the ones found throughout the tree. The pot is slightly larger than the current one that will also offer a better sense of stability.

Almost ten years separate these two photographs.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Beautiful. Bringing foliage to the left has significant reduced the visual weight of the deadwood. Design has matured well under your care. Love the detail shari work Suthin did too.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looking great, Sergio - but what’s that white stuff on the foliage?

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Scott I think it's a form of tree herpes! :eek:

They say that stress can trigger an outbreak, Mach5. Perhaps you’re putting too much pressure on your tree to be accepted in the nationals?

S

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
They say that stress can trigger an outbreak, Mach5. Perhaps you’re putting too much pressure on your tree to be accepted in the nationals?

S

You may be right. This is what I have placed in front of the tree as a small incentive.

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 10.36.18 PM.png

Top Bottom