Tall Escambron Styling - Literati? Informal Upright?

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I like it. Looks great! Seen Dan's stuff before. Also I liked some other guy there goes by mountain summit bonsai, got one of his pots.
The texture on yours is very dynamic, gives that weathered look.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like it. Looks great! Seen Dan's stuff before. Also I liked some other guy there goes by mountain summit bonsai, got one of his pots.
The texture on yours is very dynamic, gives that weathered look.
Mountain Summit bonsai (Matt) is awesome! I have multiple pots from him

Attachments

• CF9724CF-03D3-4A9D-AE21-E54A815A35C5.jpeg
    CF9724CF-03D3-4A9D-AE21-E54A815A35C5.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 7142CD65-9721-4766-AAFA-7DE408E54956.jpeg
    7142CD65-9721-4766-AAFA-7DE408E54956.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 13

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Those are some good ones! Yeah, they actually look so much better IRL than in photos too.
He custom made my oval pot for my little Escambron. He did a good job despite not specializing in oval. I almost messaged him asking for an unglazed pot for the tall escambron but I felt like that would have been a sin to put the tree in an unglazed. Also he wouldn’t have been pleased with me asking for such a big pot haha. Probably still would have done it but I don’t want to put him through that

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@JuniperSol - I'm surprised your Escambron is leafless. They are normally only leafless for a short period during the driest months in Puerto Rico. Did you defoliate before your styling? It makes sense to defoliate, makes wiring and pruning for structure and shape much easier. You should be leafed out by now. Do you have a photo with leaves?

The scientific name for Escambron is currently Volkameria aculeata, a 2010 molecular analysis showed it did not belong in Clerodendrum. The taxonomy people may end up moving it again, but currently it looks like the name Volkameria aculeata will be good for a while. Most books probably still have it listed as Clerodendrum aculeata.

They naturally have knobs and lumps where nodes exist. If you remove the knobs, to smooth out the trunk you will eliminate possibility of the trunk back budding at that location. Knobby & lumpy is normal for this species. In time the bark will develop vertical cracks and plates. The smooth bark is a temporary condition.

Over all, I like what you have done with this tree, very nice. As for choosing a pot, there are a few different options. You can choose a pot to highlight the light colored bark. Especially if you plan to defoliate before exhibiting. Here the unglazed chocolate brown, or a dark gray would be appropriate.

If you want to highlight the flowers, you can use a glazed blue or green color to offset the white flowers. Because the leaves are green and the flowers are white, I would probably go with a deep blue color. Or a blend of colors with blue being a dominant hue.

If you want to highlight the lush green of the foliage, you can go with a yellow or a blue. Generally you either want to match the color, with the pot being a darker or lighter color than the color of the green. Some trees have blue tints to their green, some have yellow tints to their green. Or you can compliment the color of the foliage (often easier than a match). Here a blue or a yellow will highlight the undertones of the green leaves.

So think about which feature you want to highlight, trunk, leaves or flowers, and then pick a pot to support that feature. I would go with a blue glaze of some sort, but I like blue. It is a "safe bet".

As to shape, I think round is a good choice. If you develop more dense, more massive foliage clouds, you might move to an oval.

Depth of pot. A shallow wide pot sets the stage as an open field viewed from a distance. A deep tall pot sets the stage as a vertical cliff. In between sizes can be interpreted as a tree close to you. The wider the pot is, the shallower the pot is, the more virtual distance you create between the viewer and the tree. The shape of the pot both grounds the image and separates it from the shelf or table, separates it into its own visual world.

Picking a pot is not easily described but intuitively when you see the right pot you will "know'' it is the right one.

I would go with a 10 to 12 inch diameter pot that is fairly shallow, dark blue, black and blue, maybe with metallic gold highlighted glaze. The deeper the pot the smaller the diameter. A 3 inch deep round, would only need to be maybe 9 inches diameter. A one inch deep round might need to be 12 or more inches diameter.

Literati style is named for the classical Chinese characters in the formal script. Chinese Zen missionaries brought reading and writing to the Japanese. Modern classical Japanese uses about 90% Chinese characters or symbols. Chinese and classical Japanese characters are not phonetic, they are symbolic, they are abstract line drawings representing ideas. No clue to pronunciation in the characters. For example man is essentially a stick figure of a man. A family home is an abstract stick figure of a pig with an abstract roof over it. In that families in Japan and China tended to live in compounds, with multiple small homes, and livestock all enclosed by a wall.

Literati bonsai was named for trees that were free form and abstract, like the characters of classical Japanese or Chinese writing. Literati tend to be tall trees, with small pots. Usually round pots. The curves, bends, zigs & zags should be free moving and in abstract ways remind one of calligraphy. Think free jazz, improvised shapes that are not literal "trees".
I bought it from a guy out in Florida who defoliated it in order to wire that weekend but I decided to snatch it up first lol. As for your question about the tree with foliage, I only have an old photo of it5542D970-42DD-459B-9381-5A73A42EA254.jpeg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Now I don't know anything about this species which I had not even heard of, but the foliage here doesn't match the internet pictures, as here...

Escambron.JPG
It does look like Jamaican Raintree...
JRT 062120.JPG
Who's on first?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Now I don't know anything about this species which I had not even heard of, but the foliage here doesn't match the internet pictures, as here...

View attachment 404114
It does look like Jamaican Raintree...
View attachment 404115
Who's on first?
Do you have a botanical name for Jamaican Rain tree? I never heard of that common name. No clue what species.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@JuniperSol - I disagree with @Forsoothe! , I believe your original identification of the tree as Volkameria aculeata (formerly Clerodendrum) is correct. Only change the name if your mentor sees it live and in person and says it is Bryan. One reason is Bryan has yellow flowers shaped like pea flowers. You said this has white star shaped flowers, which agrees with escambron, Volkameria.

I would wait with repotting until spring, right now we are going into winter, which is not a good time for repotting. Unless your mentor feels you have enough weeks of warm weather left before winter. Usually 12 weeks minimum before winter if doing early autumn repotting.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@JuniperSol - I disagree with @Forsoothe! , I believe your original identification of the tree as Volkameria aculeata (formerly Clerodendrum) is correct. Only change the name if your mentor sees it live and in person and says it is Bryan. One reason is Bryan has yellow flowers shaped like pea flowers. You said this has white star shaped flowers, which agrees with escambron, Volkameria.

I would wait with repotting until spring, right now we are going into winter, which is not a good time for repotting. Unless your mentor feels you have enough weeks of warm weather left before winter. Usually 12 weeks minimum before winter if doing early autumn repotting.
No worries about repotting, I'm waiting till next spring!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

I agree with everything you say except I would ask the OP if she has seen white flowers on it, or has been told same? It would not be the first time an intermediary owner, (the who wired it and sold it to the OP), mixed-up the ID of a batch of trees he just bought. Whatever else is true, the leaves as pictured by the OP are wrong. And, if it is a JRT she will be pleasantly surprised will the great flowers.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I agree with everything you say except I would ask the OP if she has seen white flowers on it, or has been told same? It would not be the first time an intermediary owner, (the who wired it and sold it to the OP), mixed-up the ID of a batch of trees he just bought. Whatever else is true, the leaves as pictured by the OP are wrong. And, if it is a JRT she will be pleasantly surprised will the great flowers.
This tree has been in the States for 8-9 years and is formerly owned by Hiram Macias. I own two other escambrons as well, they're just about the same

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I plan on angling some branches downward but with the amount of wire on almost all the branches I’m waiting for another time. The left side is in need of more branches and density so I’ll be working on cut n grow for a bit on that side. The top is a complete “idk” for me right now. I might talk to the original owner of the tree and see what he was planning

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I found the PERFECT pot this time! I loved the shape of the training pot so much and got my hands on a Sara Rayner pot that had a similar shape and color! This is my second Sara Rayner pot lol I love them9B79A551-9660-48C2-ACFC-F4D2BADB6775.jpeg73AF92C9-F589-4EEB-A4BF-945CC45EBDAA.jpeg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know this suggestion is unsolicited, so take it for what it's worth. I love your tree, except for that ramrod straight piece of trunk just before the foliage starts. I don't think you can change it, so I'd suggest bringing a branch across in front of that trunk section to visually break it up some.

I was just thinking of buying an escambron myself. Do you know if they readily air layer?

Thanks

Top Bottom