Texas Shohin Bald Cypress

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Nice Scott! Your tree is almost in my league:) I have a few in bonsai containers a little larger than yours (not much though)and two others only collected in the last two seasons that will be larger as well. In my experience, the larger the tree the easier it is to develop!!

BTW...I repot nearly all of my BC in midsummer...combined with defoliation.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
a little wire and I think that could be a really nice tree quickly...someone has spent some time developing the ramification. Do you know how long it has been in development?

maybe I should say "a lot of wire":)

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Nice Scott! Your tree is almost in my league:) I have a few in bonsai containers a little larger than yours (not much though)and two others only collected in the last two seasons that will be larger as well. In my experience, the larger the tree the easier it is to develop!!

You can even collect up to early mid summer too, bc are awesome that way!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Thanks John. Every time I tell myself that I've got enough large trees I end up with something like this. From now on, real Texas shohin is shorter than a Shiner.

Any reason you have a preference for summer repotting? Have you had more success than in the spring?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
a little wire and I think that could be a really nice tree quickly...someone has spent some time developing the ramification. Do you know how long it has been in development?

maybe I should say "a lot of wire":)

It'll be a lot of wire, no doubt. I know a bit about the history of the tree, but not a lot. I'd guess it was collected over 20 years ago.

Nomiyama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mark I want to say this tree looks familiar. I think possibly it was owned by Guy at one point, I saw it on his website. I could be wrong though. Keep us posted, nice addition to your collection.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
At the end of the video, the guy on the ladder defoliates the tree, which reduces stress on the roots. I'm going to guess this is standard practice when repotting in-leaf bald cypresses.

I've always repotted mine in late winter just before leaf break. I repotted this one a couple of weeks ago - bare rooted it (what roots there were - root development was very poor). It's now budding out strongly all over the tree. I understand folks do summer repotting combined with defoliation and that BC tolerate it well, but I prefer in-season repotting unless it can't be avoided.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Such a BEAST! Have you thought about hollowing out the dead area on the front of the trunk?

Top Bottom