The bonsai heresy thread

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Often when roots are disturbed on one they'll drop a lot of leaves so nurseries tell people dont muss with the roots or even plant it with the pot intact. They may drop a bunch of leaves but they \'ll come back no problem if its warm enough when you repot- for me thats 60 degrees and above consistently at night.
Thanks Bob for touching on that subject. 50's for night temps here coming in. So no repot on this end until July. When I am back in the states. But yes...they do drop some leaves at repot.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
@milehigh_7 I will return to eat my words if/when I ever identify this one. I'd hate to think that website is charging those prices for mislabeled seed

I have worked with the guys at scheffields and they are good people. Mistakes happen and it might be really difficult to tell the seed from a different species. If we can get you a positive ID and it's not correct just let them know and I would bet they make it right and then some.

Farwest

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have appreciated this thread, but have little to contribute yet. I have been immersed in bonsai for only 4 years, but have been fortunate to spend time with several serious, experienced, bonsai hobbyists. My interactions with them have been great, however they have also demonstrated that so much of what could be considered heresy is time dependent. Some of them are stuck in the era in which they began there bonsai journey. Instead of 30 years of study, some have 1 year of study x 30 years.

I am really looking forward to this book by Mike Hagedorn. His last one was a great read. Maybe he’ll be able to address “heresy” during our current time, and give us a reason to chuckle about how far we’ve come in our techniques and understanding decades from now.

https://crataegus.com/2018/07/27/new-book-bonsai-heresy/

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Not sure why you posted this link in this thread, but I never would have cut that tree back. It doesn’t sound as though it worked out well.
Because of the title of the thread being credited as the title of a new book: The bonsai heresy thread

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
What is a Larch?? 🌞
A Larch is a needled conifer that loses it's needles annually. They make very nice bonsai. For the most part they do not do well in warmer climates.

Reactions: Vin

Elihatt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The heresy that inspired this thread (which I didn’t realize was heresy until I said it in another thread):
Bare rooting a healthy inexpensive deciduous nursery tree in late spring or even summer to get it settled into a pot with bonsai soil mix sooner rather than later
Just did that a couple hours ago!

Top Bottom