The fastest way to develop deciduous bonsai: Walter Pall's hedge pruning method explained

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here’s a ground-breaking idea: don’t click on the thread.

Lol...but you shouldn't talk to Judy like that!

Some people, like myself, and I would gather a few others, can't leave a thread unopened.
This IS entertaining, no matter how much learning or bonsai interaction we care to have.

It isn't a "lunch table".

As stated before by many, it's more like a "Family Dinner on Sunday" table.

Nephew Crackhead can't just come along and start begging for money, and if his Momma didn't tell us he was coming she going get bitched out too.

We feed family. Everyone is welcome to Eat.

But Goddamn....
Bring a dish, or a bottle.

This shit is important for some of us, having good information available easily without having to sift thru BS.

So "not so helpful", "quite dishonest", things like this get on some folks nerves.

If Walter has to correct things....

And the Mirai "methodology" is really just timing....

WT real F is going on?

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Agreed. I guess I just come here for discussion and throwing ideas around, not to view training videos. I know where to find those if I want them, seems like a forum to me is for interaction.
The posting of training videos is incumbent upon visible, and demonstrable experience begging the sharing of the same from a host of members. When one is viewing the body of evidence from the poster, it is obvious to anyone with a modicum of experience that his trees do not scream out make something like me. His material is that of a gifted beginner. It's like Stacey without the blatant bull shit, or artistic talent to drive it.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Lol...but you shouldn't talk to Judy like that!

But Goddamn....
Bring a dish, or a bottle.

No disrespect to Judy. Unfortunately (or perhaps, fortunately; I don’t know) anyone who chooses to read my posts are subject to the same level of snark 😜

He did bring a dish! You all just didn’t happen to enjoy it. I didn’t particularly enjoy it either.

But I do not understand, and I will never understand, why you people would want to implement a chilling effect on people who post on this website.

Of course not every thread is going to evidence the gold standard of bonsai technique with a perfect 10-year progression of photos. Go to the home page at any time and there are a number of threads along the lines of “help me style this stick in a pot.” Of course you’re going to have to either: (a) sift through some less-than-desirable threads, or (b) choose not to engage in some of them. It’s the nature of Internet forums.

I, for one, appreciate the OP’s effort. I appreciate that he got the video approved by Mr. Pall before posting it. And I’d encourage him to keep at it. He’s obviously passionate about bonsai and I am all for growing our passion in relation to mainstream culture.

This “internet mob” mentality is ridiculous, and I do not apologize for calling out those waiving around their pitchforks.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The posting of training videos is incumbent upon visible, and demonstrable experience begging the sharing of the same from a host of members. When one is viewing the body of evidence from the poster, it is obvious to anyone with a modicum of experience that his trees do not scream out make something like me. His material is that of a gifted beginner. It's like Stacey without the blatant bull shit, or artistic talent to drive it.

And someone like Walter Pall, Ryan Neil, etc. could just as easily minimize your work, Mr. Wood.

Bonsai is not measured on a binary scale. Your trees are better than the OPs, and the aforementioned folks’ trees are better than yours.

What are you even trying to say? Only people with X years experience are allowed to post? Only people with a trophy from their club show?

If you don’t like his trees, then don’t follow his advice. No need to be a snowflake about it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone can bring them Walmart Cupcakes.

But you can't be sad when you bringing that shit home.

Sorce

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I couldn't quite put my finger on it but you did.
Good question.
I think if he posted here regularly and contributed in threads in the traditional manner it might not feel as weird.
This was really only ever about the OP using professionals names in his titles which mirai has since asked him not to do and ethically he should not not do any longer with Walters or anyone else.
He posted a video previously without any name dropping and a few people watched it and moved on and someone even posted a compliment.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hmmm....

Even @Rafael Najmanovich himself is not so snowflake as to feel this "internet mob" nonsense. He's handling it with a calm head and a backbone.

So who is Snowy?

Sorce

Haha.

“Internet mob.”
“Hopping on the bandwagon.”
“Groupthink.”

Call it what you will. The fact of the matter is that no one started personally and professionally attacking the OP until @Smoke and his narcissistic personality disorder chimed in.

I don’t care whether the OP chose to engage in this internet debate or not. I call it like I see it. 😎

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I get that. I also get that I have a right to my opinion. And I was not being disrespectful to the OP, just saying that it feels more like a blog post or Youtube post than a forum post. Which for me is just not what I come for. Just throwing my feeling out there.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The hedging is not primarily for styling, it is for ramification, thickening and getting smaller foliage or needles. After the structure of a tree is set you may well forget about regular wiring. Then the hedging method is also for styling.
In the end only results count. It does not matter what they say, what is done , what they are afraid of, what they warn you of. If in the end you have the better trees you have the better methods.

It seems that I too use it for the same things and have found it to be immensely helpful and allowed me to develop material quickly.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seems that I too use it for the same things and have found it to be immensely helpful and allowed me to develop material quickly.

How many different species of deciduous do you use your version of hedging on Smoke? It’s interesting that what you do keeps them active, have you found anything that it doesn’t work on?

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I know just what that feel like....get um here all the time. Your right, they ain't fun. I find them entertaining on occasion though.
You are bigger idiot than I thought if think you can compare your pansy ass arguments on a bonsai forum to even come close to the ambushes that @Vance Wood was talking about!

As a father that has two daughters in the military and have been to Afghanistan and South Korea within 15 miles of the border of North Korea to try to make this world a safer place, I find your comments very offensive!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Such a lack of humor sense!!!
This is really pathetic....

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Maples, elms, hornbeam, curently doing zelcova. It makes sense that fast growing and easy budding material works best.
I tested it on an elm. Goddamn thing exploded in new growth. Interesting. I’m going to try it some more.

The maple I tested it on is really too thick to see the results until fall.

Top Bottom