The fastest way to develop deciduous bonsai: Walter Pall's hedge pruning method explained

Walter Pall

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Remembering which trees had wire on underneath all that foliage from the winter cut back / wiring for so many must take some monitoring. This is especially difficult as the rate of thickening must be quite fast and wire cutting in could easily happen in a few short weeks. Do you use visual reminders, eg ties or tape that you attach to remind you about checking?
Visual reminders? I go through the whole collection of almost 1000 trees every day and see very quickly how each tree is doing. I see wire and around mid summer I start to look closely for the wire to bite in. This is normal procedure. No big deal. Most broadleave trees don't have regular wiring anyway. They all have guy wiring, sometimes a lot. Guy wire is not as problematic as regular wiring.

Paulpash

Omono
Reaction score
Visual reminders? I go through the whole collection of almost 1000 trees every day and see very quickly how each tree is doing. I see wire and around mid summer I start to look closely for the wire to bite in. This is normal procedure. No big deal. Most broadleave trees don't have regular wiring anyway. They all have guy wiring, sometimes a lot. Guy wire is not as problematic as regular wiring.
Yes, I put little white twist ties on some of the more vigorous trees I've wired to remind me to check. Sometimes after work and watering I might have only half an hour to do maintenance or a little bit of wiring.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tread should be close now, it doesnt bring any value anymore apart of big massive rant now.
He will remove his tags, end of story.........
Can MOD lock it please ?
If you could please send me your address I will send you a "thanks for playing" Smoke trophy.

penumbra

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried to follow this thread but bailed after the third page when all I could read was blah, blah, blah.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As long as you caught the video.....

If not ...

Watch it again.

Sorce

Sekibonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i was at Rosenberg two weeks ago for first time.. i don't know about going to Lufkin.. LOL
I'm kind of catch as you can. I have too many agricultural endeavours tht have put the bonsai on the back burner.

Maloghurst

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, I put little white twist ties on some of the more vigorous trees I've wired to remind me to check. Sometimes after work and watering I might have only half an hour to do maintenance or a little bit of wiring.
Not sure I understand why hedging would increase the rate of thickening in the branches. I understand trunk thickening which is what Walter has stated. But if I cut the growing tips on my maples branches then those branches all but stop thickening. Hedging is creating ramification not branch thickening. So midsummer check on wire makes sense. If i wire a branch and don’t cut it then 3-4 weeks I have to remove.

cmeg1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not sure I understand why hedging would increase the rate of thickening in the branches.
From my experiance letting your bonsai turn into a bush dome,or triangle will greatly increase trunk ,branches and everything.Especially density that occurs ,from repeated hedging,will thicken and make tree very vigorous and good buds popping.

Maloghurst

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hedging certainly causes thickening of branches as well as trunk and nebari.
From my experiance letting your bonsai turn into a bush dome,or triangle will greatly increase trunk ,branches and everything.Especially density that occurs ,from repeated hedging,will thicken and make tree very vigorous and good buds popping.
I didn’t say that the branches won’t thicken but your stating that hedging will increase branch thickness more then letting grow doesn’t make sense. That’s why his wire doesn’t bite in until mid summer. Yes you get more buds and branches and all of this adds to trunk thickening. If I need a branch to thicken at the greatest rate you let it grow meters long.

Maloghurst

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have never said anything like that. It would be complete nonsense.
I have never said anything like that. It would be complete nonsense.
Sorry Walter that’s not what I meant. I wasnt sure how hedging would cause thickening of the branches. Because when I want to slow the growth of a branch I cut the growing tip. Same as hedge the branch. Is it all the growth on the inside of the canopy? That you later selective prune away that causes the thickening of the branch?

Paulpash

Omono
Reaction score
I didn’t say that the branches won’t thicken but your stating that hedging will increase branch thickness more then letting grow doesn’t make sense. That’s why his wire doesn’t bite in until mid summer. Yes you get more buds and branches and all of this adds to trunk thickening. If I need a branch to thicken at the greatest rate you let it grow meters long.I
I think you've got yourself muddled a bit. I can't recall anyone saying more thickening occurs if you hedge / prune as opposed to letting it grow. Can you find where or who said it (apart from yourself)?

However, because the method means you prune at 6-8 week intervals a LOT of growth can occur. Here is a Katsura tree I hedged around May 20th and has been left to grow since then. It will be pruned in a week or two. A lot of thickening has occurred in the branches during that period (but not as much as if I'd not pruned it). I'm happy about this as the trunk is thicker than my thigh so this method will get the branches in scale faster. IMG_20190716_184615.jpg

Naturally I'll wire some movement into the branches when I prune it back to the intended silhouette. Hope this has cleared things up.

Last edited: