The Shohin Tree Thread

Attachments

• Kintsugi for Beginners on BNut.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
3.29.20.jpg

Hokkaido elm. The pot isn't ideal but I'm working on getting the root mass smaller and this pot was empty, so I used it. Blue is fine but a bit boring. I think it needs a shallower and just slightly wider pot. There are 7 trunks in this clump. This particular elm is so delicate that branches break if you look at them funny.
Fourth year in training from a nursery tree.

At almost 9" high it may need to lose a bit off the top, but I'm letting the main trunk extend a bit to gain girth. I think it still has a shohin feel though.

Under 5". Two years old.

Attachments

• IMG_20200402_045839.jpg
    IMG_20200402_045839.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 66
Some early autumn thinning on my shohin shimpaku today

Before
IMGP7164.JPG

After
IMGP7165.JPG

This one started with a straight trunk too thick to bend. One of my early trials of splitting the trunk to enable bending.
IMGP7172.JPG

This one is just over shohin height. While pruning I contemplated removing the current apex. The upper right branch would make a good replacement and would bring the total height don to under 20cm
IMGP7168.JPG

Tim Barrett pot with cork jade in it. I keep this at work buy huge window to keep me company, lol.
Seems you and I had similar ideas!
Portulacaria afras are very easy to create a mame, a few months ago I made a semi-cascade mame and a mother-daughter arrangement that got out of control.
The problem with these as mames is they grow out too quickly.

Back
Top Bottom