Too Little Ficus...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just to quirky not to bid...it is not a ginseng ficus. So not to confuse ones...

Too little Ficus
This one has an interesting base and trunk. As you can see in the photos it has a loop at the top of the trunk. It could be a good candidate for penjing, Chinese style bonsai.
8” tall 5.5” tall 3.5” base
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I saw that one.
Very interesting base.
Did you win??

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I saw that one.
Very interesting base.
Did you win??
Yup...just now. When I researched these...they are known for straight trunks...so that appealed to me that it was unusual. They can also grow Ariel roots if conditions are right. Unsure I wish to go that route. But found it interesting. Said to be a good beginner ficus. Well...why not? It's quirky at best...and...I was bored this evening. Lol

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If I remember correctly it's a cultivar of Benjamina but I may be wrong.
If so most of the same rules will apply as the parent plant.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If I remember correctly it's a cultivar of Benjamina but I may be wrong.
If so most of the same rules will apply as the parent plant.
Yes,I believe you are correct. Good to know...thanks. Never done ficus before...it was to quirky and cheap, not to bid.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Plus he grows great plants.
Mixed reviews on this one- some say it's a slow grower- some say it grows fast.
Probably depends on conditions but either way it's a nice trunk.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Plus he grows great plants.
Mixed reviews on this one- some say it's a slow grower- some say it grows fast.
Probably depends on conditions but either way it's a nice trunk.
Scott as you know is my go to guy anyways...but, yes...he grows great plants. As for fast or slow grower, it won't bother me either or. You are most likely correct as to growing conditions. Some may dislike the trunk...I am okay with that too. But...it appealed to me. And...I said...why not!?!

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Absolutely why not?!?!?!
No one could copy that tree if they tried.
You should have someone do a sketch for you when you get it displayed the way you like.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@amcoffeegirl ...learned a lot from Adam's blog on this species. But elsewhere I read that if it has strong light it grows fast...less light it grows slower. So..,you nailed it with conditions would determine how it grew.

Paid for it this morning...a little piece of me was concerned after this post thread...that one who I have blocked...or one who has me blocked. Could have bid...it's a very slim possibility. Which was fortunately not the case. ?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Question on how cold hardy:

Benjimena ficus which what the Too Little is. Seeing not to let it get down below 60's / 15C ...is this true? Seen elsewhere they can get to 50 F/10C with no issues elsewhere. Reason I am asking...temps last night was 57F/13.8C outside. Pondering if this tree will see the natural sun or directly into the grow cart inside. Would prefer it spend time outdoors...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Question on how cold hardy:

Our ficus(all types) stay outside in dappled West sun until the nights are consistent 45F. I leave them out even if it goes as as low as 40 for a couple of nights in between. When brought in most droop and/or drop leaf but come back in 2 - 4 weeks. They respond as if it is normal and stay healthy.

I only have 1 plant that comes in at 60F and that is the Banana tree. The rest, even Serissa get a few nights of lower temps, near freezing.

Now I must point out if Scott grew that in a green house you should too... It could be acclimated over a few year period but Ficus are slow in that realm.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@GrimLore...shot Scott a PM. Just it seems so basic. But dang...60F to 40F as your saying is a broad spectrum. I had mentioned to him it would be outside until needing the grow cart. He seen no issue with it. Said...I was experienced knowing to do that. So it must be able to go outside currently.? Will figure out what he says. Planned on sitting i5 next to the satsuki...on the bench.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
One of the things I have not done here but may still try in the future is a heating mat for the roots. They use them to sprout seeds
If a tree is in decline it may help. Adam has suggested that to me several times.
Not that yours will need that for a long time- just posting it while it's in my brain.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
One of the things I have not done here but may still try in the future is a heating mat for the roots. They use them to sprout seeds
If a tree is in decline it may help. Adam has suggested that to me several times.
Not that yours will need that for a long time- just posting it while it's in my brain.

Very good to know! Thanks for the heads up. That these are hardier than I thought...who knows. I may get another one day. A different ficus species. I am so smitten with this photo here, the trunk is scrumptious!

image.jpg

Top Bottom