Tree Identification Help

the_ungawa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello Bonsai Nut,

I am new to the forum as a poster, but I have lurked off and on for some time. I am not new to bonsai, but I have not kept up with my studies or maintenance of my trees beyond watering, fertilizing, and repotting. I have recently become motivated to "come back" to taking it a bit more seriously. I have picked up a few young bonsai, and a nursery stock pine from a local place that did now know what these trees were specifically. I have questions and seek advice, but I will start a new thread with specific trees that I would like pruning advice on later. For now, I would like the people here to aid me in identifying (and confirming) the newly acquired trees. I am pretty sure the one with the crazy roots and pointed leaves is a Chinese Sweet Plum. Next is a pine of some variety; I live in San Antonio, TX and I think the tree is 7ish years old, and its in a gallon pot. The third tree with the spadey/tri tip waxy leaf and pale bark is a total mystery. If more photos are required I would be happy to add them. Any help is appreciated and I look forward to posting more in future for specific advice!

CHINESE SWEET PLUM

chinese_sweet_plum_1.jpg

chinese_sweet_plum_2.jpg

chinese_sweet_plum_3.jpg

PINE

some_pine_1.jpg

some_pine_2.jpg

some_pine_3.jpg
some_pine_4.jpg

UNKNOWN WAXY SPADY/TRI POINT PALE BARK

unknown_1.jpg

unknown_2.jpg

Attachments

• chinese_sweet_plum_4.jpg
    chinese_sweet_plum_4.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 8

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The pine is pushing juvenile growth, which means it can be one of three:
Aleppo pine (pinus halepensis)
Stone pine (pinus pinea)
Canary island pine (ask the Spaniards)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
The first one its Sageretia theezans, the pine looks like Pinus halepensis and the last one IDK maybe Premna or som like that

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1st tree is natural Neagari(style)looking for a change like NOT grown inside pop bottle☺️! Congratulations. Pine Likely Italian stone (or Italian Red) Pine based in immature foliage and very long needles. 3rd one no idea what.

the_ungawa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The first one its Sageretia theezans, the pine looks like Pinus halepensis and the last one IDK maybe Premna or som like that
Thank you for the response and confirmation of the sweet plum. I will look further into the pine based on your recommendation, and I am interested in what a Premna is!

the_ungawa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The pine is pushing juvenile growth, which means it can be one of three:
Aleppo pine (pinus halepensis)
Stone pine (pinus pinea)
Canary island pine (ask the Spaniards)
Thanks for your response and these leads! There are so many pines that it is a bit daunting, so narrowing it down to three certainly helps.

the_ungawa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
1st tree is natural Neagari(style)looking for a change like NOT grown inside pop bottle☺️! Congratulations. Pine Likely Italian stone (or Italian Red) Pine based in immature foliage and very long needles. 3rd one no idea what.
Thank you for pointing out to me what this style is formally called! I am very interested in its roots, and I think the simple design of two leaf clusters will be very pleasant when contrasted to the odd-numbered gnarly roots.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for your response and these leads! There are so many pines that it is a bit daunting, so narrowing it down to three certainly helps.
I hope that it's halepensis. Way easier to manage than stone pine.
Stone pine reverts to juvenile so easily that there are very, very few succesful bonsai.

the_ungawa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Last one may be a Gmelina..... 🤔

......but looks a hell of a lot like an Ivy variety.....
I think I found it thanks to your lead! Gmelina Philippensis aka "Parrot's Beak" and there may be a miniature variety? (probably just marketing). Thank you!

the_ungawa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I hope that it's halepensis. Way easier to manage than stone pine.
Stone pine reverts to juvenile so easily that there are very, very few succesful bonsai.
Are the single needles the juvenile growth and those clusters the mature?

Top Bottom