Trident Maple Ideas

Scriv

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hey guys

New here and to bonsai in general. I've been doing research off and on for the last couple years and finally decided to bite the bullet and get a tree. Well... it's more of a stump, but yeah. Anyway, I know it has a long way to go but I just wanted to throw up a few pictures to see what direction I might be able to take this in... I was thinking of going for an informal upright based on what's currently there.

What do you guys think is the general approach over the next couple years? Should I just let it grow to thicken out and basically leave it alone?
At what point could I chop the top, establish a new leader back in the other direction, and start building out the branch structure?

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3232.jpeg
    IMG_3232.jpeg
    342.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3233.jpeg
    IMG_3233.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3236.jpeg
    IMG_3236.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3235.jpeg
    IMG_3235.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 99

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That’s a nice looking stump!

It already has some decent taper and nebari started. If it were mine, I would let it grow this year (not sure where you are located) and next spring, make a cut at the first node above the previous cut before it thickens too much. That will start your next section of taper. Meantime perhaps keep that side branch pruned back as you grow out the next section?

others with more experience building trees will hopefully weigh in - welcome!

oh, and if possible set up your location and hardiness zone, helps with folks giving advice. Cheers!

Scriv

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That’s a nice looking stump!

It already has some decent taper and nebari started. If it were mine, I would let it grow this year (not sure where you are located) and next spring, make a cut at the first node above the previous cut before it thickens too much. That will start your next section of taper. Meantime perhaps keep that side branch pruned back as you grow out the next section?

others with more experience building trees will hopefully weigh in - welcome!

oh, and if possible set up your location and hardiness zone, helps with folks giving advice. Cheers!
Thanks for the reply and feedback! Excited to learn more and be a part of the community.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I see a number of choices. Here’s a couple.

The second section is long.

For a slight, feminine look…. Look for a pair of buds facing off the plane of the first and second section to chop to in spring when the sap runs. below this section’s lower branch to chop to…. Then wire one of the two to be the new apex, one to be the next side branch……. Or

For a more masculine look……. Let ‘er run and thicken a bundle, then chop at the same place as noted above and do the same thing. Or

Let her rip for even longer, then chop into the lower section.

cheers
DSD sends

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
A bit hard to give meaningful advice when we have no scale to guess how tall and thick this tree is. You also have not given any indication as to what size or quality of tree you'd be happy with. There are many different options and outcomes for most trees and this one is no exception.
Assuming you are reasonably happy with the current trunk thickness I would chop the upper section soon. Informal upright look good when each succeeding section of trunk is a little shorter than the previous so chop the upper section. I'd chop above the second branch (1st on the upper section) even though it is pointing in the wrong direction. That chop should stimulate some shoots from the nodes just below. After those new shoots get strong chop again just above the best placed for a new section of trunk then allow it to grow for a year or 2.
Repeat until you have the tree you want.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hell yeah!

Welcome to Crazy!

Where did you get it?

That wound is healing so nice, you can tell the previous owner was knowledgeable and careful. I would see what they had planned for it, then report back just in case they were a lucky moron!

Stump! Lol!

I been on some rants lately about the shittyness of "prebonsai".

Often you'll find things way more "developed", but piss poorly and way overpriced.

This tree is an excellent example of something very simple, but damn near absolutely correct, that SHOULD have a large price tag.

Send my thanks to the previous owner! And don't f this up!😂😉

Sorce

Scriv

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
A bit hard to give meaningful advice when we have no scale to guess how tall and thick this tree is. You also have not given any indication as to what size or quality of tree you'd be happy with. There are many different options and outcomes for most trees and this one is no exception.
Assuming you are reasonably happy with the current trunk thickness I would chop the upper section soon. Informal upright look good when each succeeding section of trunk is a little shorter than the previous so chop the upper section. I'd chop above the second branch (1st on the upper section) even though it is pointing in the wrong direction. That chop should stimulate some shoots from the nodes just below. After those new shoots get strong chop again just above the best placed for a new section of trunk then allow it to grow for a year or 2.
Repeat until you have the tree you want.
Thanks for feedback. Right now, the base is roughly 4 inches in circumference and the whole tree is about 13 inches tall. I was thinking of going for a more delicate look as it might take decades to achieve that short, fat pine style most people prefer with these trees. However, I would like the base to thicken out maybe 50% more or so.

Scriv

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hell yeah!

Welcome to Crazy!

Where did you get it?

That wound is healing so nice, you can tell the previous owner was knowledgeable and careful. I would see what they had planned for it, then report back just in case they were a lucky moron!

Stump! Lol!

I been on some rants lately about the shittyness of "prebonsai".

Often you'll find things way more "developed", but piss poorly and way overpriced.

This tree is an excellent example of something very simple, but damn near absolutely correct, that SHOULD have a large price tag.

Send my thanks to the previous owner! And don't f this up!😂😉

Sorce
I got it from a reputable bonsai nursery here in Socal. I'm gonna do my absolute best not to f it up!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got it from a reputable bonsai nursery here in Socal. I'm gonna do my absolute best not to f it up!

👍🏻!

I would have to honor that healing.

It just screams thoughtfully purposeful.

Any negatives this tree has just "seem" negative.
In the same that these shitty prebonsai "seem" good when they really suck ass.

What am I trying to say.....?

This thread is the epitome of what it really means to see good material.

It so seems not. But it is.

Where other crap so seems so, but it ain't!

This "illusion".....the faster we kill it the faster we create better trees.

Thanks for this thread. It should be referenced multiple times over the years.

I will have to search, "the epitome of sucking ass" to find it again later.

Please keep it updated!

Sorce

Top Bottom