Anders51

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I recently got a Brazilian rain tree this summer and have had it outside up until now. Both outside in the summer and now inside I have seen these small insects on the tree. They mostly seem to be near or on new growth. I'm guessing they're feasting on the sap the tree produces. As far as I can tell they don't seem to be harming the tree. They seem fairly inactive, poking them yields minimal movement. Should I be worried or try to remove them with some method?

Attachments

• IMG-8537.jpg
    IMG-8537.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG-8538.jpg
    IMG-8538.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG-8539.jpg
    IMG-8539.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG-8540.jpg
    IMG-8540.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG-8541.jpg
    IMG-8541.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG-8542.jpg
    IMG-8542.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG-8543.jpg
    IMG-8543.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 61

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Some look like some sort of aphid. Almost certainly sucking sap which doesn't make a big difference when numbers are low but aphids breed quick so it may not continue to be causing no harm for long.
I'd be trying to get rid of them.
If only one tree and few bugs physical removal can work. If you are not comfortable squashing bugs then a contact insecticide should work on aphids. Pyrethrum is low toxic or your choice of pesticide.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with shibui, some of them look like some kind of aphid and you need to get rid of them somehow. The light colored one on the leaf almost looks like an egg sac

jonfromchicago

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I believe these are whiteflies. When I first got my BRTs, these whiteflies were constantly on my BRT's new growth. Use whatever insecticide you're comfortable with using, I used Bayer Insecticide. Try to hose down the tree's leaves once in a while to knock off any eggs that may still be on the tree.

Anders51

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have used a spray bottle with a tight hose setting filled with water and a little soap to get rid of most of them. I also think that little yellow bits in new leaf growth are eggs (previously I thought this was natural tree sap or something). I will probably keep doing this for a few days to weeks to see how it goes. If the infestation gets doesn't get better or gets worse I will resort to insecticide. I'll look to update at some point

Neo_Rokkenjima

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You have these little bastards on yours too, eh? I had trouble identifying them myself-- there are some which look like aphids, and others which are brown, but still aphid-shaped. Unlike aphids, however, they'll dance to the other side of the branch when you put your finger near, in order to evade being squished. I've killed most all of mine, mostly by squishing. I recently used two nuclear Neem bombs (affectionately called "Fat Man" and "Little Boy") both to clean up the aftermath and make sure that any eggs will not survive. This is because the eyes are good at detecting movement, but not something that doesn't move. I only use organic Neem when spraying for aphids.

Top Bottom