What happens when dwarf JWP is grafted to Pinus strobiformis (SW White Pine)?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I forgot to mention that the 2 cm cut depth was at least 3/4 of the thickness of the branch at its origin, and probably closer to 90%. Because you’re cutting behind the branch and into the trunk, you aren’t going to compromise the slap flow, and the branch should do fine going forward

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Alrighty then, back to the strobiformis and grafted cultivars...
I received 3 different ones from Conifer Kingdom today in transit 5 or 6 days.
They'd had a bit of rain and it IS in the PNW so rather damp. They are happy to breath.

I am most happy with the Catherine Elizabeth a #3 size they recommended at 1st inquiry.
The graft is A ok, branching and fullness spot on. I would recommend this to anybody wanting
to work with a healthy nursery stock JWP as I have done.
DSC_5305.JPG
DSC_5306.JPGDSC_5307.JPG

The other 2...not so much. They're #1 size, and the grafts not near as good as the Catherine Elizabeth.
The 'Beran' has cool short needles and cone(s) already. The graft may or may not correct in several years time.
The 'Kinpo' ugh. I don't know what to make of the candles? Buds? whatever the heck is going on it's weird,
and thickness of these shoots are thicker than the rest of the branch, and buds along this shoot are in over load abundance.
@Adair M what the heck is going on with this 'Kinpo'? It's like candles and pollen cones in November but not.
Very coarse shoots, but small enough needles. Right off hand it reminds me of when I bought a thunderhead BP before I knew they weren't good for bonsai.

DSC_5310.JPG

DSC_5312.JPG
"Beran' is a cute dwarf. Needles perfect for the hobby, but a little hidden reverse taper under the label. Not bad really.
Hopefully in 4 or 5 years it will look better.
I mean look to the right at that Kinpo, that's scary looking. I would have never bought that cultivar had I seen it. o_O

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m not familiar with those cultivars. The Berman looks good. Not so sure about the Kinpo, though. One thing that throws up a Red Flag for me is in the description. “Twisted needles”. I prefer pines with straight needles. That’s one of the problems with Virginia Pine.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Many of my new Japanese white pine cultivars come from a nursery outside of Asheville (zone 7a). They are all grafted on P. strobiformis root stock. So I can at least state that commercial nurseries have no problem with it there - for the eastern Appalachian market area.

We couldn't keep P. strobiformis (rootstock) in SoCal (zone 10a) because it was too warm. So the only way to keep JWP alive in SoCal was to buy one grafted on JBP rootstock. This was a requirement, not an aesthetic decision. Over time it is extremely hard to hide the graft union between JBP rootstock and JWP scion. I've seen it done when the graft is really low - like at the root line. If you are several inches up the trunk however it becomes very difficult once the tree begins to push adult bark. The plating nature of JBP is much heavier than JWP and the rootstock and bark tend to thicken at a faster rate than the scion.
Do you mind to share the name of the nursery that you bought your JWP from?

Thanks!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Do you mind to share the name of the nursery that you bought your JWP from?

Thanks!
sure
I received 3 different ones from Conifer Kingdom today in transit 5 or 6 days.
Another, the 'Aoba jo' I bought on eBay though the trunk size of it is more like 1/2".
At Conifer Kingdom they recommended the #3 and #7 size Catherine Elizabeth
for the particulars I was looking for and am not disappointed with it at all.
Day after I got it I did a little pruning and some wiring.
DSC_5399.JPG
I hope to begin with the transition to bonsai soil come Spring. There is one pencil sized side root sticking straight out
before I get down to the nebari, below soil. No idea how that's going to play in yet. I expressed my dissatisfaction with
the 'Kinpo' and rather than ship it back at a postage loss for me, they credited me $20 which I felt was fair, + I got a $55
free gift with my order being over $250 mark and free shipping, so no complaints with Conifer Kingdom.
Just do not expect them to go out and take pictures of particular items.
Edit: The one in my avatar I bought on eBay 15 yrs ago, and my dwarf Strobis came from a local nursery.

Top Bottom