What to buy a bonsai enthusiast who has everything

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
More time during a normal week even though I have been retired several years... No, not that old just got of the race early :)

In order to fulfill that request Crystal has agreed on a very good contractor to renovate the Guest room upstairs as well as some far more minor modifications downstairs which I am 96ish percent done with - it was a long haul doing the renovation here and I hit the limit I guess :rolleyes:

I don't need anything really so a really nice box of chocolate from http://www.tavernierchocolates.com/ or something equally ostentatious makes me grin :)

Grimmy

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you don't know what to buy, a gift certificate to a bonsai shop is always appreciated

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
shrink ray.jpg

Shrink Ray could help with leaf size reduction.
I tried cold water......it worked for George Costanza!!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
b-nut T-shirt.

...and Green-T. Took a part time job to buy one. We are people and never have it all...

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow this is an old thread! I've since come up with some other suggestions!

(1) Titanium chopsticks. Now that I've used them I can't live without them.

(2) A subscription to Bonsai Mirai streaming content.

(3) Biogold fertilizer (about the most expensive thing on this list!)

(4) A leather tool roll for storing your tools (I've had the same one for almost 25 years now).

(5) A nice bonsai apron - particularly helpful when repotting.
Can I ask your of your experiences with Biogold? I have heard it is great, but quite costly. Thanks!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Can I ask your of your experiences with Biogold? I have heard it is great, but quite costly. Thanks!
My experiences over the last 6-7 years have been all good. When I don't have time to make my cakes (like this year) it's what I use. I tried some of the pellets Jonas is selling, and they seemed fine too for 1/3 the cost, but they weren't as dense or as uniform in size, so they broke down faster. NPK is close to Biogold.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the response @Brian Van Fleet I figured one of the top class growers like yourself would be able to help. With our weather becoming even more unpredictable, slow release ferts were quite important this year.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

I have actually never used it. I have a lot of trees and it is a little costly for me. I make my own organic mix and put it in tea bags.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For my list:
My experiences over the last 6-7 years have been all good. When I don't have time to make my cakes (like this year) it's what I use. I tried some of the pellets Jonas is selling, and they seemed fine too for 1/3 the cost, but they weren't as dense or as uniform in size, so they broke down faster. NPK is close to Biogold.

I heard its bad for pines for the michoriza is that true?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thnx !
I dont have experience with biogold
Ive seen someone asuming it did
great trees ! Good to know it isnt a problem
I considered buying a bag before but was in doubt because of me hearing that
+1 on the list

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Biogold for me was just a squirrel attractor. Really good though.

Top Bottom