White needles on entire jbp

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Damn...were supposed to go to Oak Lawn for a Game today....then Golden Corral! You in? If it don't get rained out!

If you must keep JBP or anything else safe....
Talk to Jeff at THG...
Even I can afford what I last heard was the going wintering rate.

Well Worth it IMO.

@chicago1980 yes?

Sorce
Jeff is knowledgeable and can offer advice on home Cate during the winter or he does offer winter storage.

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Yes I know he does offer that service. And I have reached out when I can for his advice. Unfortunately, this tree is definitely a goner. As our more seasoned companions said. Makes me sad. I am going to give it another week or so before I Exhume the remains.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My JWP is developing pale white/yellow bands in the middle of new needles. Top third green, bottom third green, middle third yellowish white. Any ideas what that might be?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My JWP is developing pale white/yellow bands in the middle of new needles. Top third green, bottom third green, middle third yellowish white. Any ideas what that might be?

Do you know what cultivar it is? There are variegated white pine cultivars that are supposed to have banding...

VAR-WHITE-PINE.jpg

Otherwise... did you repot it late in the season last year? Like in the Fall?

Last edited:

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you know what cultivar it is? There are variegated white pine cultivars that are supposed to have banding...

View attachment 193891

I wish I knew... This is my first season with it, and I was never told an exact cultivar.

None of the other needles are variegated, if that means anything.

That does look remarkably accurate. The old needles are all slightly yellow, but only at the tips, and it's due to either root rot, or underwatering last season, according to the seller.

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
This sounds like needlecast. Id treat with a systemic fungicide that treats needlecast for sure. No harm in it. Have you ever had your water tested. Chlorosis can also show like this.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not gonna lie. Im ashamed of myself. Its sad and depressing to see a tree die. Im hoping it can throw buds and i can protect them well all year.

Don't feel bad, I killed at least seven trees this year. Probably closer to ten or twelve, depending on whether or not some of the stragglers decide they want to wake up. Just about all of 'em were due to me screwing up - too much water in autumn, too little water in winter, bad soil, too little protection, and some of them due to the brilliant decision to bring them in when they started waking up from the unseasonably warm February.

The real failing is in not learning what went wrong and figuring out how to address it so you don't repeat it.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This sounds like needlecast. Id treat with a systemic fungicide that treats needlecast for sure. No harm in it. Have you ever had your water tested. Chlorosis can also show like this.

I have been spraying with daconil. Not sure if that’s systemic, though.

I don’t think it’s chlorosis. I have aquariums, so I measure. Near zero chlorine.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have been spraying with daconil. Not sure if that’s systemic, though.

I don’t think it’s chlorosis. I have aquariums, so I measure. Near zero chlorine.
Wrong chloro.
Chlorosis is a deficit of chlorophyll caused by a lack of necessary nutrients.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wrong chloro.
Chlorosis is a deficit of chlorophyll caused by a lack of necessary nutrients.
Oh. Hahaha my bad. Could be chlorosis, then. Should I fertilize to correct it? I have Alaska fish emulsion and miracid.

I recently repotted it (at the correct time) and the previous owner said he forgot to water a lot last summer. Could either of those lead to chlorosis? Or is it something else completely? Like fungus, perhaps?

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I recently repotted it (at the correct time) and the previous owner said he forgot to water a lot last summer. Could either of those lead to chlorosis? Or is it something else completely? Like fungus, perhaps?

Forgetting to water it could damage the roots, especially if it was a frequent thing, which could indeed cause chlorosis on account of inhibiting nutrient uptake.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Forgetting to water it could damage the roots, especially if it was a frequent thing, which could indeed cause chlorosis on account of inhibiting nutrient uptake.
Wow. So how do you treat for that at this point? When I repotted, I noticed a ton of dead roots that got pruned off.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

View attachment 193891

I got a photo of the needles. None of the others are variegated, which is what makes me nervous.

In the photo you can see the older needles that are yellowed at the tips, but not variegated.

Attachments

• IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 21

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow. So how do you treat for that at this point? When I repotted, I noticed a ton of dead roots that got pruned off.

That's where my expertise ends; my track record at rescuing trees with damaged roots is nowhere near good enough, nor my research thorough enough for me to offer pointers beyond the obvious.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Best treatment for damaged roots, is what you have done, the repotting, and then a return to consistent care. Avoid excessive droughts. Don't dump on fertilizer, damaged roots would not be able to absorb it. Light fertilizer is best. Daconil is indeed a systemic fungicide, it's use is a good idea. Spring into early summer, again in late summer early autumn and once in late autumn. Each dose should persist 1 to 2 months.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I've been dosing quite a bit more than that, but it's been very rainy. I hope that doesn't cause a problem. Like, every one or two weeks.
Read the label on your container of Daconil, never exceed the dose recommended. It really is important to read the label. I personally don't know if you are overdoing it or not. You can consult you county USDA Extension agent, and ask them, I don't know. Remember fungicides are toxic at some point, over use can be a problem.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Read the label on your container of Daconil, never exceed the dose recommended. It really is important to read the label. I personally don't know if you are overdoing it or not. You can consult you county USDA Extension agent, and ask them, I don't know. Remember fungicides are toxic at some point, over use can be a problem.
The label says every 1-2 weeks. I should’ve specified, I’ve been dosing every week, and it’s been raining quite a bit.

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Don't feel bad, I killed at least seven trees this year. Probably closer to ten or twelve, depending on whether or not some of the stragglers decide they want to wake up. Just about all of 'em were due to me screwing up - too much water in autumn, too little water in winter, bad soil, too little protection, and some of them due to the brilliant decision to bring them in when they started waking up from the unseasonably warm February.

The real failing is in not learning what went wrong and figuring out how to address it so you don't repeat it.

Well i know what i did. It was a combination of incorrect treatment of needlecast, too much work on a weak tree, and poor overwintering conditions. All of my other trees are strong, growing like crazy, and displaying no signs of disease.

I have recently moved to a home with hard water. getting it officially tested today and then trying to figure out how to make sure the hardness of the water doesnt harm my trees. Currently they seem to be wnjoying the new water, but im noticing a small increase in mineral deposits on the pots. I also ordere from the arboretum association and got trees that are meant for my hardiness zone. Im looking forward to planting and growing them in the ground for a few years.

Lessons learned. Patience is not my virtue

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I got a photo of the needles. None of the others are variegated, which is what makes me nervous.

In the photo you can see the older needles that are yellowed at the tips, but not variegated.

This is interesting. Correct me if im wrong more seasoned members, but chlorosis would typically occur at the tip working its way down right? This looks more like needlecast. But i dont see the telltale line like ive seen on my own trees. If it is needlecast, those needles that show this are not going to green there. Itll develop the dark ring eventually, and those needles will yellow where you see light green and out to the tip. But it sounds like you are treating to ensure it doesnt spread. A lot of daconil products have weatherstick in them that will keep it adhered even through rain. Be careful overdosing because daconil can cause toxicity. Especially if it has weatherstick in it. Once the rest of the needles harden off, you shouldnt have to apply again until early fall.

Top Bottom