Winter Bonsai Care Tips

Jash

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a question about my Juniper in winter. So I currently have out in un heated sun room on porch and live in New Jersey(zone 7). This room is usually a couple degrees warmer then outside and gets plenty of sun. My concern is some days it’s 36-40 degrees and today it’s 79 degrees! Is this something should be concerned about? Also any tips to prep bonsai for winter so doesn’t freeeze in January / February would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Actually, you want it to freeze! Well, you usually do at least. What kind of juniper and where is it from? Most need dormancy so you want to let it get as cold as it gets in zone 7.

Jash

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Actually, you want it to freeze! Well, you usually do at least. What kind of juniper and where is it from? Most need dormancy so you want to let it get as cold as it gets in zone 7.
I get that just the constant change between 30-40 degrees then next day 79 degrees is what concerned about. Will hit weather make come out of dormancy. I have a Juniperus procumbens.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, that's probably going to be an issue. Pro nanas like to go dormant. Now, I do have a coworker who is in her second year with a nana without dormancy and it is still looking good but anecdotal evidence says they'll often die in year three without some sleep. Some folks toss em in the fridge, others lend to a friend who does have outside as an option. If not, well, keep us posted!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Jash Please put your location on your profile.
State is fine if you arent comfortable putting your city/town

Jash

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, that's probably going to be an issue. Pro nanas like to go dormant. Now, I do have a coworker who is in her second year with a nana without dormancy and it is still looking good but anecdotal evidence says they'll often die in year three without some sleep. Some folks toss em in the fridge, others lend to a friend who does have outside as an option. If not, well, keep us posted!
I’m sure will get cold outside eventually just weather is all over place wish was more consistent. All I well so far will let know if changes. Thanks!

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would def be concerned about it being that warm this time of year.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The biggest issue with unheated sun porches and greenhouses for wintering hardy trees is the rapid warming possible on sunny days. Greenhouses should have automatic vents that open when the temperature gets over a certain temperature. Ideally for "proper dormancy" you would not allow the temperature to rise above 40 F or 50 F in the winter. Is it possible to open windows on your unheated sun porch? Keep windows open anytime the temperatures are above freezing. Close the windows on nights the temperatures are supposed to drop well below freezing.

Jash

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a Juniperus procumbens and now it’s finally getting cold I was just getting concerned because one day was 80 and next day was 37 so all over place and wasn’t sure if would mess up it’s dormancy cycle. Thanks for help!

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It should be ok. We're still early. 80 to 37 isn't a problem and even less so if you can buffer that temperature change.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The sun room sounds like a bad idea given its temperature spikes. I'm not an expert though, see below.

In MA I have mine under a table draped in plastic sheeting under my porch. I covered the pots and the top of the soil in mulch. One thing I think I should have done was put boards underneath so that they aren't sitting right on the earth, as I imagine soil could cause the drainage holes to clog.

Does that sound about right? I was half tempted to leave them out to the elements without the plastic, but this how I did it last year and it worked fine (though last year I just used dry leaves rather than actual mulch).

Along with shimpaku, I also have japanese maple, sweet gum, alberta spruce, boxwood, and white pine stored that way.

I've been told that trident maples wouldn't survive in that condition and need an unheated garage in my zone given the freezing, but I believe all these others ones are fine with it. I'm a little iffy about the sweet gum but they sound so vigorous I'm rolling the dice.

Anyways, back to the point, I suppose out in nature there are temperature spikes as well (say the 70 degree days we get in February sometimes) but I feel like they'd be more regular and at the whims of the sun in a sun room, as well as more likely to hold the heat for longer.

Top Bottom