Would anyone be interested in getting a contest going where we're all either starting from a propagate, or from a collection w/i certain parameters?

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I don't think the species is important. What's important is taking something which has not been trained for bonsai and applying bonsai techniques to develop it.

I've judged the Reddit contest for several years. I find it quite easy to compare a black pine to an azalea to a ficus. I've been doing bonsai for 25 years. Some of you who have been doing it longer should find it easier to compare many different species and determine which has been developed by a skilled hand.

I'm a bald cypress guy. That'll likely be what I use. I just haven't found it yet. I'll go look in a week or three.

Brainstorming some rule suggestions:
Contest runs for 5 years
$20 buy-in on the first year, $10 buy-in in subsequent years
Each artist enters ONE tree, collected from the wild, a yard, or a non-bonsai nursery (Photos as proof)
If it dies, you're out
Each year, at the end of the year, independent judges score the trees and award a winner (See @music~maker for a good judging form)
Each year's prize pot is the $10 yearly buy-in, divided among top three trees
Last year's prize pot includes half the buy-in in the first year, That money is winner take all
So, the final year, the over-all winner will take a share of the 5th year buy-in plus half the initial buy-in

Maybe we'll allow side-bets with a portion going to the artist's pot.

Or we'll ditch the money aspect and just have someone do a Photoshop trophy for the winner.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I don't think the species is important. What's important is taking something which has not been trained for bonsai and applying bonsai techniques to develop it.

I've judged the Reddit contest for several years. I find it quite easy to compare a black pine to an azalea to a ficus. I've been doing bonsai for 25 years. Some of you who have been doing it longer should find it easier to compare many different species and determine which has been developed by a skilled hand.

I'm a bald cypress guy. That'll likely be what I use. I just haven't found it yet. I'll go look in a week or three.

Brainstorming some rule suggestions:
Contest runs for 5 years
$20 buy-in on the first year, $10 buy-in in subsequent years
Each artist enters ONE tree, collected from the wild, a yard, or a non-bonsai nursery (Photos as proof)
If it dies, you're out
Each year, at the end of the year, independent judges score the trees and award a winner (See @music~maker for a good judging form)
Each year's prize pot is the $10 yearly buy-in, divided among top three trees
Last year's prize pot includes half the buy-in in the first year, That money is winner take all
So, the final year, the over-all winner will take a share of the 5th year buy-in plus half the initial buy-in

Maybe we'll allow side-bets with a portion going to the artist's pot.

Or we'll ditch the money aspect and just have someone do a Photoshop trophy for the winner.
What's the price limit for the nursery tree?
For me to have a sniff at a chance, there has to be a newbie division LOL

Last edited:

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the idea. I might be in depending on what the final rules are.

The pay to play idea is a good one. It gives more incentive.

mustt65

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
im definitely in. i feel it will push me to excel in the art and learn a lot more. only problem would be species, makes it a lot harder to upkeep certain trees being in tropical vs. subtropical weather or even access to certain species.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think i would be in too :) can bare root trees be used ?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sounds fun as long as the species is ok for my climate.

Curious for the final rules.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If true Yamadori(NO yard/cultivated tree)might be;). No $20 fees!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about a sponsored contest where a bonsai supplier sells prebonsai to contestants at a discount price so everyone starts at a fairly interesting and equal phase of development. This contest can start this spring and end at early fall the following year. This way we have two growing seasons and have a winter to test the contestants on how they winter their trees.

Cash or good Yamadori tree from Randy Knight or southern collector. Winners choice of collector and tree;).

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I agree with AJL that it's more a "best stock picker" contest if the starting point isn't levelled. Local nurseries and amount of stock to pick from play too much of a role for a honest contest I think.
But its interesting to see how this turns out!
I think if the judges go with the before and after and take into account where we start and how far we take things, it will be good.

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This is a cool idea. Talking side contests, one devoted to only invasive species. I know some of my fellow Floridans are in no shortage of Chinese Tallow and Brazilian Pepper.

Sthlmbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I’m in, as long as it works with climate and species. All for Yamadori if that will be an option. Especially good to have a contest since there little to none bonsai movement in Sweden, so a great opportunity to have something of a challenge to get better.

pback

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m in depending on what final rules shake out. I’m all about developing some yardmadori.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Im interested in joining but not with a cutting to start with.
a tree as price will not be something thats doable with contenders across the globe....
A Prize pot Will be doable i believe and as we all know money is a good motivator!

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think if the judges go with the before and after and take into account where we start and how far we take things, it will be good.

This.

I'd like to see it from untouched collected material. Must take a photo in the ground as part of entry 'fee'. Must be collected, kept alive and progress measured/documented over 5 years time. Winner is based off of progress made from scratch (not final image).

Last edited:

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
No to yamadori, collecting is illegal here.
No to entrance fee because sod that.
No to a specific species either.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This.

I'd like to see it from untouched collected material. Must take a photo in the ground as part of entry 'fee'. Must be collected, kept alive and progress measured/documented over 5 years time. Winner is based off of progress made from scratch (not final image).

I like this concept because it would be more inclusive to working with deciduous species too. In terms of judging on relative progress and not necessarily a totally finished bonsai.

Top Bottom