Accent Plant Critisism

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Asking for some 'constructive criticism' on my accent plants. All grown indoors all year round.

Echivera and Sedum in a 2-1/4"w x 1-1/4"t free form Erin pot (4 years old)
IMG_5115.jpg

Moss in an 4"w x1-1/4"t square Erin pot (2 years old)
IMG_5118.jpg

Miniature violets in a 2-1/4"w x 3/4"t round glaze pot( 1 year 6 months old)
IMG_5121.jpg

Eric

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like the 1st one best. :) Not sure if the slate base is of any help.

The 2nd pot...I picture would be great for a shohin. :D

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The moss is wonderful. :) What is the single tall leafed plant?

The third one would be good with the right tree, it looks a bit formal-ish for some settings. It looks almost too house planty for me...

The first one seems disjointed. The two types of succulents don't seem to mesh well, although I do like the pot. Maybe too much going on.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
hanging around with my sensei, has me favoring accents that have been around a long time and you can see that in them. Also rather than be simple with one type of variety, I've been taught to appreciate those which have numerous subjects. There's an excellent book out by murata that you should look into. having said all this I don;t wish to negate your efforts. Would be very useful in many situations. something I think that takes a certain mindset to create.Thanks for sharing :)

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very cool Eric! I need to do a few of these myself. I need accents for the shohin tropicals I have.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Interesting that it's an epiphyte. I do like it.

Just so you know, I wasn't trying to be harsh about the first one, and I do like combination plantings. I think for me,it's perhaps how its so divided into almost 2 halves. Perhaps if the smaller plant would grow a bit around the larger one... or maybe it's just too busy with the pot being so interesting too.
Please don't think I'm being critical...

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting that it's an epiphyte. I do like it.

Just so you know, I wasn't trying to be harsh about the first one, and I do like combination plantings. I think for me,it's perhaps how its so divided into almost 2 halves. Perhaps if the smaller plant would grow a bit around the larger one... or maybe it's just too busy with the pot being so interesting too.
Please don't think I'm being critical...

No problem here. I'm thick skinned when it comes to criticism. LOl. I always try to absorb and learn from good ones and just ignore the bad ones.

It is actually a good observation, it does have an empty space in between, and the strong color contrast also magnifies the separation. Maybe it will look better when it fills out or maybe separate the two.

Eric

Telperion

Seedling
Reaction score
Eric,
Accent plants help to establish or emphasize a theme for the presentation. That may be time of year (spring vs fall) or the natural habitat of the main piece in the presentation. So, alpine flowers or grasses might be presented with trees that grow at high elevations. So, as you create your accent plants, think about the theme that they might emphasize or coordinate.
Keep up the good work.
We need more,
Chris

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That miniature violet is great. I like the other two, but the fullness of the violet with the flowers poking out really does it for me. :cool:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I love how the first pot picks up the color in the leaf of the plant to the right...the plant to the left is cool...if your going for contrast...I think...a plant in the shade of green the other one is that has the pinkish color as well...would look easy on the eyes...and just as nice as well. Would pull out the green of the right plant as the pot pulls out the pinkish color. Just my thinking...

Love the pots too! Thanks for sharing...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 17

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I love how the first pot picks up the color in the leaf of the plant to the right...the plant to the left is cool...if your going for contrast...I think...a plant in the shade of green the other one is that has the pinkish color as well...would look easy on the eyes...and just as nice as well. Would pull out the green of the right plant as the pot pulls out the pinkish color. Just my thinking...

Love the pots too! Thanks for sharing...

One must be careful not to turn a Kusamono into a Dish Garden though...

Grimmy

Top Bottom