Best Fertilizer for Fukien Tea

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I haven't switched to Osmocote yet, I'm still finishing off the stuff I have left.

Don't listen to Anthony or Sorce, the Fukien makes a great little tree. ;):D

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I use Osmocote granules 14-14-14 Seems to work fine on my Fuk'n Tea. Green leaves and lots of flowers in Summer. Big box stores sell it half off in the fall. :D

I'm still pretty new so I kinda wing it with fertilizer. I promise to do better this year!

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
So is Osmocote the preferred food? Mine has small green and blue balls in the soil..just found out here that they are time-release food. I didn't know that.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So is Osmocote the preferred food? Mine has small green and blue balls in the soil..just found out here that they are time-release food. I didn't know that.
I just use a balanced fert, N-P-K, 20-20-20 water soluble. Any brand....
Some are weaker concentration though, like 10-10-10, or 5-5-5.
No problems so far....
My guess is that anything you give it will be fine....
Those little green fert balls, I swear they just stay forever....but yeah, they're a slow release something or other.

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
That's what I figured...that the balanced mix is the important thing. I have regular houseplant Miracle-Gro, but it's not a balanced formulation. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hey everybody! I'm thinking of getting a Fukien Tea bonsai, but before I take the plunge I have a quick question. I was reading in a book on Bonsai that Fukien Tea does best with a low-nitrogen fertilizer, but I'm not sure what qualifies as "low-nitrogen" or what proportions the potassium and phosphate should be. If anyone has a Fukien Tea and has a fertilizer to recommend, or could tell me what fertilizer or fertilizer proportion they think would work best, that would be great. Thanks!
I use good old trip 10 on all my trees, shrubs, plants, and lawn. They absolutely love it. I hit everything during the grow season with a dose usually about every 3-4 weeks and once or twice during the winter months, depending on the species of tree. For example, my maple doesn’t get any fertilizer during the winter. Once mid-autumn rolls around I discontinue the fertilizer for the maple until March. The other trees will get a dose about every month and a half during the dormant season. However, I do have a few Brazilians and Divi Divi that don’t really have the same type of winter season so they stay on a fairly consistent schedule for fertilizer. Now, having said all that, they get dyna-gro during watering twice a week of the species takes thAt much watering. On new reposts or new trees and usually once a week I’ll add a shot of vitamin B to the mix for water and finally about once every 10-14 days during watering, I’ll add a TBSP of epsom salt to my distilled water. Have kept my trees happy and full for years with this schedule and strategy.

Top Bottom