Black masses on trunk of Chinese Elm

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for your input, I truly hope so.
Since there is no consensus as of yet wether my tree is healthy or not I thought I would share another closup of the suspect bark on one of the branchesView attachment 158922
You aren't going to get a consensus on this forum, except the posts tend to appear with exactly the same font and color, no matter if they're right or wrong.:p

Your tree is fine. Anyone with a cork bark Chinese elm can confirm this; especially now that you posted shots of the whole tree.

Attachments

• IMG_1109.JPG
    IMG_1109.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1111.JPG
    IMG_1111.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 75

cole morton

Yamadori
Reaction score
You aren't going to get a consensus on this forum, except the posts tend to appear with exactly the same font and color, no matter if they're right or wrong.:p

Your tree is fine. Anyone with a cork bark Chinese elm can confirm this; especially now that you posted shots of the whole tree.
Thank you, that is a big relief.

cole morton

Yamadori
Reaction score
I am happy with it so far, here are a few pictures taken about a week ago, as the fall colors were in full effect. I will add a few pictures soon of the fully defoliated tree (closeups of the bark). My current plan of action is to wire soon, and repot in the spring, but i'm open to suggestions. Thanks for your interest :)

Chinese elm fall colors 1.jpgChinese elm fall colors 2.jpg

cole morton

Yamadori
Reaction score
Wonderful tree, looks ancient. Glad to see someone on the island with some high quality trees! Thanks for sharing. Waiting for some better weather to take some pictures of my elm post leafdrop.

Top Bottom